Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coal Bunkers, A story about Trust
Jupiter
post 1st Apr 2011, 03:22am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
McCartney sold the briquettes,they had steam coming off them.The other coalmen were Blair and Semenite.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 1st Apr 2011, 03:32am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Are'y sure his name was no Jimmy Bell.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 1st Apr 2011, 03:53am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Might have been,but I remember Bobby,wore a bunnet and had a big leather satchel for his money.

+Quote Post
zascot
post 1st Apr 2011, 06:39am
Post #19

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
An I aye thought it wiz Jock the coalman.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 1st Apr 2011, 08:45am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 1st Apr 2011, 08:38am) *
davy we were privy to have oor bunker inside the hoose so never had to worry aboot any thieve(s) rolleyes.gif

Funny ye broght yon up Lass. A' thocht A'buddys coal wis kept in the loaby. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 1st Apr 2011, 08:57am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Oor's started off in the lobby but was moved to a press in the kitchen, or the scullery as we called it, for convenience; no' sae fawr for the old lady tae hump a bucket tae the fire place. tongue.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 1st Apr 2011, 09:03am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
So ah wiznae the ONLY wan that LIVED in a coal bunker hahaha
And there a wuz, thinking ah wiz damaged - a puir we waif - jist came wi' the hoose, furr keepin the fire backed up lol

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
nippynell
post 1st Apr 2011, 11:47am
Post #23

Special Visitor
Member No.: 9,094
QUOTE (wee davy @ 31st Mar 2011, 09:37pm) *
Hello folks.

My mind wandered to the coal bunker outside our door in Shawpark St - in the lower close, at the back.

It seemed to me, I spent a LORRA LORRA time in there, every day! Now I'm going to make a statement here - which I'm sure 99% of you would agree with.

If you got your elect/gas from a cabinet OUTSIDE your hoose, by simply connecting a hose how long do think it would take, for your bills to climb, exponentially? Milliseconds? A day? OK mibbes a whole week.

Now I can VERIFY no coal was ever whipped from our bunker (I could account for almost every single LUMP or Briquet, from a VERY early age). I can also verify, we would never think/dream of going to someone ELSE's bunker.

I know we often say we wear rose coloured glasses, when we look back but I can honestly vouch for people's honesty with regards, 'the black stuff'.

We might've lived oan lemon curd piece's at times - but we seldom went withoot a fire, and hot water. The only problem is - weve awe mostly goat silicosis ai the lungs noo! hahahahaha laugh.gif

I coalhearthly agree with you wee davy LOL biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 19th Jun 2011, 08:09pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
Our coal bunker was in the 'lobby' between the front and back rooms! Then Mammy bought her first wardrobe, after which the bunker was relegated to the back-close and guess who continually had to fill the scuttle? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 21st Jun 2011, 07:13am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (wee davy @ 1st Apr 2011, 07:11pm) *
So ah wiznae the ONLY wan that LIVED in a coal bunker hahaha
And there a wuz, thinking ah wiz damaged - a puir we waif - jist came wi' the hoose, furr keepin the fire backed up lol

Remember the great Bud Neil's character Lobby Dosser. Based on lodgers who were put up in the lobby, of the single end, and often bunked on the coal bunker.

+Quote Post
Crewsy Fixer
post 22nd Jun 2011, 12:44am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,545
Thats the the truth weedavy, and you should be commended for it.

I have, naively, stolen electricity. Back in olden times, due to a "power cut",there was a lead from the main box in the close through to oor hoose, I was too young to know the legal implications.

I also figured out. after being introduced to dishonesty, how to get free telly from a pay as you go "slot telly".

+Quote Post
lesley brown
post 22nd Jun 2011, 10:13am
Post #27

Visitor
Member No.: 10,927
Oor coal bunker wis on the middle landing between the 2nd and 3rd tenement flairs. Wit a remember most is I used tae hide my 5 club in it before going in tae the hoose. Wis only aboot 12 and wid have got killed if a got caught smoking. 5 club cost aboot 12 n half pence then. Every time my Da got coal delivered the frigging coal man wid knock them and a couldnae say a damn thing. Anywae it didnae put me aff smoking. Still gawn strong many moons later.

--------------------
Marriage is a wonderful invention but then again so is a bicycle repair kit.

+Quote Post
ceader bhoy
post 22nd Jun 2011, 09:56pm
Post #28

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,576
my mates mates mother could not pay the coalman, so she said to him do you want to do the business in the lobby, he agreed and started by taken his trouser down,when in walked the husband,she said to him,jimmy that coalman said if i did not pay him he would shite on the floor biggrin.gif c/b

+Quote Post
beth
post 24th Jun 2011, 07:38am
Post #29

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,349
Allan's mum had the coal bunker in the wee scullery bit off the kitchen. there was also a bed in the recess in the kitchen where his mum and dad slept. It also served as the living room. There was a front room that only got used on high days and holidays. the two boys slept in the walk in wardrobe in that room

+Quote Post
ceader bhoy
post 24th Jun 2011, 02:24pm
Post #30

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,576
QUOTE (Crewsy Fixer @ 22nd Jun 2011, 01:37am) *
Thats the the truth weedavy, and you should be commended for it.

I have, naively, stolen electricity. Back in olden times, due to a "power cut",there was a lead from the main box in the close through to oor hoose, I was too young to know the legal implications.

I also figured out. after being introduced to dishonesty, how to get free telly from a pay as you go "slot telly".

my mother made frozen shaped fifty pence piece's to put in the gas meter,when the gas man came up to empty it, he said whats all the water doing in this box, my mother said to him , that's that north sea gas son biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.