Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Springburn Virtual Museum, Images & info galore
buntyq
post 12th Apr 2005, 01:16am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 15
I was born in 41 Adamswell Street and my father was a policeman in the St. Rollox Division. During the war I worked at the North British Locomotive Company, just down the street from where I was born. I am very familiar with Springburn. In those days it was a thriving district of working class folks. The Co-op was one of the largest business - they even had an undertaker division in Morrison Street. Springburn as it was is very clear in my memory. If there is a Transport Museum, why not a museum to preserve the history of Glasgow.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 12th Apr 2005, 08:13am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
"The Co-op was one of the largest business - they even had an undertaker division in Morrison Street."

It might be smaller but it is still there.

"Springburn as it was is very clear in my memory. If there is a Transport Museum, why not a museum to preserve the history of Glasgow."

We prefer to call it the People's Palace.

+Quote Post
flims
post 12th Apr 2005, 06:32pm
Post #18

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,648
Hi All ..Did the CO-OP also have Funeral Directors based at Morrin St/Angus St as well as the Main one at Morrison St Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 12th Apr 2005, 09:27pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Flims, should I recognize the street in your photo? In my memory, the old streets had class. I believe the Co-op offices were in the same street as the undertakers. They also had tailors. My parents would pick out the cloth and Mother would have a coat made and Dad his three piece suit.

+Quote Post
toerag
post 13th Apr 2005, 02:39am
Post #20

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 167
hi guys, I do believe the funeral parlour was in Angus St, off Springburn Rd, there was possible another one in Morrison St, (was that in the south side???) Bunty, I was born/brought up in Crichton Street went to Gourlie school, but our first wee hoose after we married was 182 A -dam- swell Street!!! It was a wee palace (at least we thought so) lovely memories here! smile.gif We always went to the co-op in Springburn Rd, just before the bend for our school uniforms! changed days!

+Quote Post
flims
post 13th Apr 2005, 07:14am
Post #21

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,648
Hi All Buntyq the photo that you where querying is the Old Springburn Road Tenement,as you look at it the right hand side is Angus St as Toerag said,and the bottom of the tenement is actually Springburn Cross,here is another of the same building different Angle you will see that it says Springburn Cross at the top of the Masonry Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 13th Apr 2005, 08:24pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Toerag, you must have lived in the tenements at the end of the street. You would have been facing the North British Locomotive Works, if they were still standing. After the war it was just impossible for the servicemen coming back to get any kind of housing. My brother sublet a single-end in Balornock, lived in a converted double-decker bus and finally made the wise decision to move his family to Australia.

+Quote Post
toerag
post 14th Apr 2005, 02:53am
Post #23

Super City Key Holder
Hi Bunty, yes we were the second close from the end, I think Teachers Whisky was at the end of the street?? would that be right?

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 14th Apr 2005, 01:50pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Toerag, I dont remember what was at the end of the street but I believe there was a bank and a little newsagent shop at the beginning of the street. Also, you are right about Morrison Street. That was in Shieldhall and I believe you had to shop there for bigger items. Angus Street was where they had the undertakers in Springburn. What took you away from Glasgow?

+Quote Post
toerag
post 14th Apr 2005, 11:13pm
Post #25

Super City Key Holder
Hi Bunty, your right about the wee newsagents being at the beginning of the street, as for a bank, not sure about that, we did ny use banks in thae days!! We came to Canada as we thought our kids would have a better atart, plus my big sister was here! The were 3 months & 16 months when we left Glasgow!

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 15th Apr 2005, 10:59pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
I've wondered if you all get together in Ontario. If you have never met Catherine you are in for a treat. I think they should hold one of the Big Meets in Canada. I flew up from Georgia and attended the one at Wee Mags in East Norwalk, Connecticut, last year. So if all you Canucks decide that it is Canada, count me in. We used to get a wee ice cream in that little store at the corner of Adamswell Street, that's why I remember it so well.

+Quote Post
toerag
post 18th Apr 2005, 12:53am
Post #27

Super City Key Holder
Hi Bunty, Catherine did organise a meet in Tronto, I believe Archie & Norah were surprise guests from England, and there were some others from Canada, I did not make it to that one, but they all had a rerr ter but hopefully if there is another I will get to meet you! Its a small world (but ah widnae like to paint it)

+Quote Post
*Guest James **
post 25th Jul 2007, 10:43pm
Post #28

The Co-op funeral parlour at Angus street is now William hills the bookmakers. Around 1976 it became the job centre

+Quote Post
Stewarta
post 3rd Sep 2007, 11:40pm
Post #29

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,333
Sorry all the links seem to have gone. I was born in Keppochill rd and went to Gourlay street. I remember we got my first 'school uniform' at Hoeys and I stopped the escalator by pushing the red button incurring the wrath of the manager. My mother worked at Robertsons the bakery ( my Aunt and Uncle) and my Dad worked for Cowlairs and later as a tram driver

I remember the butcher ( Mc Farlanes) and the greengrocer on Keppochill road and how I learned that it was not a good idea to take your Mammy flowers from the graveyard no matter how much you loved her smile.gif

Any photies would be appreciated

--------------------
Haw pals! Whits goin oan?

+Quote Post
stevedr
post 2nd Nov 2007, 01:34pm
Post #30

Settling In
Member No.: 5,103
QUOTE (flims @ 13th Apr 2005, 07:31 AM) *
Hi All Buntyq the photo that you where querying is the Old Springburn Road Tenement,as you look at it the right hand side is Angus St as Toerag said,and the bottom of the tenement is actually Springburn Cross,here is another of the same building different Angle you will see that it says Springburn Cross at the top of the Masonry Cheers Flim

Only the top two thirds of this buiding are original...the bottom part which had been the co-op were filled in later..you can see the original shape in the old Bw foto of Springburn Road:

http://oldspringburn.wetpaint.com/page/Pho...+old+Springburn

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.