Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Green Lady, Made sure the house was clean
jaybee
post 26th Oct 2007, 11:26am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
Luceo, I too have a recollection of them much later than 1946. I have stated before that when I went home to Scotland on holiday I felt like a "green lady" knocking on doors. Just as a comparison to how many relatives and friends expected I should visit them when home. I have a funny feeling they are now called District Nurses. Could be wrong. Jaybee
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stratson
post 26th Oct 2007, 07:58pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
The "Green Lady" was a sanitary inspector. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 26th Oct 2007, 08:03pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
Hi Stratson,

Just for "us yins" that have been away for a while, what is a "sanitary inspector"? Don't mean to sound daft but I don't know. (Now don't you be laughing at my lack of "edumaction" biggrin.gif )

GB

+Quote Post
Heather
post 26th Oct 2007, 08:18pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I remember the Green Lady coming to the house just after our son was born. She checked him over and asked how I was keeping. She only came a few times, but she was a nice person and she was always dressed in green, as it was the uniform for the home visitors where there was a new baby. Hence the, ' Green Lady '.

I never knew they inspected house's. I always thought they visited to see how the new baby and mother were. The one who came a couple of times to our house, never inspected it.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 28th Oct 2007, 05:41am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
The Green Lady was still coming around in the 60's, yes she was the health visitor, but I'm not familiar with the sanitory inspector

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 28th Oct 2007, 06:52am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
The sanitary inspector was formerly a person responsible for ensuring that standards of hygiene were adhered to, both in the home and in commercial establishments. In the days of overcrowded living conditions the sanitary inspectors performed an important public health function. Today similar duties are performed by environmental health officers whose work is overseen by the public health inspector.

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 28th Oct 2007, 08:58am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
Luceo, they were there until at least the 70's. By the time my 3rd son was born in 1978, I never had any visits from the green lady.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 28th Oct 2007, 09:18am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
What a cheek when you think about it, in many cases people were living in slum conditions, and they sent in sanitary inspectors! Maybe they should have sent in housing officers instead, with an offer of good living conditions. Then maybe they never viewed it as the householders fault if things were not as they should be in the home. Maybe they realised that housing conditions needed improvement.

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 28th Oct 2007, 10:08am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
The introduction to Victorian Britain of the Sanitary Inspector (and, indeed, the Inspector of Nuisances) was seen as an important public health initiative.

It is my understanding that the sanitary inspectors had the power to force landlords to improve sanitation and sewage arrangements where it was deemed necessary. They also had responsibility for ensuring that schools and other public places met basic sanitary needs with the provision of toilets, running water etc.

I am not sure how much of the Green Ladies' time was involved with child welfare and what part of it was devoted to the role of sanitary inspector.

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
stratson
post 28th Oct 2007, 01:21pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
We lived in a new corporation house(well it was then, built in 1927, my parents were first tenants, it was a 2 bedroom and bathroom house. )My parents had 5 children when allocated this house,another 5 after that date, so you could say we were overcrowded. ohmy.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 28th Oct 2007, 01:26pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Nice big family Stratson,,, smile.gif

+Quote Post
jakka13
post 11th Nov 2007, 11:53pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,815
Just found this and I do remember the Green Ladies .When you were pregnant and planning a home confinement you contacted the Queens Nurses .They would visit once a month at first and then every two weeks and then once a week as your time came close .When you went into labour you called and they came out to your house and delivered your baby .Within the first week of this baby's life a Green Lady came to see if the welfare of the family (,not just the baby )was alright .
This was in the sixties .You got the tinned milk,orange juice and any other vitamins from the local Clinic where the baby got checked out weighed and inspected .

--------------------
Auld but Still Game.

+Quote Post
Elma
post 12th Nov 2007, 06:18am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
It was the District Nurse who was with me when two of my babies were born. She visited like Jakka said both before and after the births. She wore blue, would that be different? tongue.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 12th Nov 2007, 06:35pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
it was a health visitor that came to my quarters and she said turn the heating down as I was doing everything by the baby book and she only checked the babies weights and my stitches and was very satisfied but if she seen me hoose no she would die as am a hoarder of many things and a love my clutter as i have said before as my house is not a show house its a lived in house laugh.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
weelew
post 28th Oct 2010, 10:46pm
Post #30

City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,131
Just catching up with some of these old posts And i can remember that the sanitary inspector was called the sanny man and it was him that you reported any sort of sewage problems which would occur in the old tenements ,he in turn had to get the factors to carry out repairs .The green lady was what we now call the district nurse and she would visit houses with new born babies and try to help the mothers for the first few weeks ,she also worked in the schools and was what we all called the nit lady ,she would look yer hied as the saying went then and if she found any nits or pully's then she she would tear into your head with a bone comb and send you home with a bottle of the foulest smelling conconction that was meant to kill them. If you struggled or tried to get out of the chair she woul skelp you round the napper with an open handed slap ,not that it ever happened to me .In they days although most kids got an infestation at one time or other all the mothers would talk about the kids and say keep away from him/her the'v got a dirty heid.

The word pully's came about because some kids would scratch about their heads locate a beastie PULL it out and crack it between their thumb nails .

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.