Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mavis Valley, Cadder Pit Disaster, August 1913
RonD
post 5th Feb 2010, 01:51am
Post #61

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Just beside Bishopbriggs north of Springburn.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
flam
post 5th Feb 2010, 11:12pm
Post #62

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Maureen Moonie.. One of the miners who died in Cadder Pit disaster was a McAloon , and he is buried along with the other ten Catholic Miners in St Kentigerns ,there is a large Memorial stone in their memory with their names on it, Likewise their is a memorial stone in Cadder cemetery with their names on it to (Not far from B&Q large store just of the Kirkintilloch Road ) just wondering if you are related to this man..Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
flam
post 5th Feb 2010, 11:14pm
Post #63

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Maureen meant to say Cadder Cemetery memorial stone is for non Catholics..Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
RonD
post 6th Feb 2010, 12:20pm
Post #64

Mega City Key Holder
I knew of a Tommy McAloon b circa 1930. I didn't know him personally. He and his wife went to Australia. I believe they both passed away. I knew of him through his wife Betty Armstrong, The Armstrongs lived in the Big Pit and Beechwood Villa from the early 30's until they moved to Auchinairn in 1948.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
RonD
post 6th Feb 2010, 12:30pm
Post #65

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (flam @ 6th Feb 2010, 12:10am) *
Hi Maureen Moonie.. One of the miners who died in Cadder Pit disaster was a McAloon , and he is buried along with the other ten Catholic Miners in St Kentigerns ,there is a large Memorial stone in their memory with their names on it, Likewise their is a memorial stone in Cadder cemetery with their names on it to (Not far from B&Q large store just of the Kirkintilloch Road ) just wondering if you are related to this man..Cheers Flim

Just to add to Flam's post. The young lad who was killed in the Cadder disaster in 1913 was a Owen McAloon , he was 17 years old and his parents were Patrick McAloon and Annie Quinn. They lived in Lambhill.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RonD
post 8th Feb 2010, 11:18pm
Post #66

Mega City Key Holder
My older brother Neil lived in the Mavis Valley area from his birth in 1938 until the family moved to Auchinairn in December 1947. I asked him his recollection of the place, the envoirmnment and the people and this is what her wrote. Hopefully some of you will recognize some features of which he has written.
" Here is a run down on Mavis Valley as I remember it & Woodside Terrace.
Crossing the Forth & Clyde canal at Brash's bridge & turning left and walking along the canal bank you come to the bottom of Mavis Valley. At the top it stops at the woods.
The Mavis Valley had two rows of red brick dwellings facing each other. The lower half consisted of single floor dwellings on each side & the top half consisted of two floor dwellings on each side. The two floor dwellings had seperate families living top & bottom. All the houses were connected to each other & if memory serves there was a break in the middle on each side or a close, a conveyance for getting to the backs of the dwellings. There was no indoor plumbing & the only source of fresh running water was from 4 or 5 taps located the length of the valley, down the middle. At the bottom, near the canal was the Cowlairs Cooperative store & I can remember the managers name was Jimmy Keelan ( Right spelling?) Across from the "Co" there were old foundations of earlier buildings & these foundations were all cut stones. Along with my older brother & sisters we delivered Sunday papers in the "Vaillie" as we called it & we worked for the Patricks who lived in there. Other names that come to mind who lived there were the Browns (Broons) Thompson, Barr, Reid, Carrigan, Mc Callum, Mc Kinstry, McCann, Connolly, Lawlors, Lauder, McLaren, Bulloch, Nesbit, McAloon, Cassidy, Lafferty & Rooney. The name Hutcheson rings a bell & a family named Hewitt or Hewitson who one of them was supposed to play for Partick Thistle.I don't know if this was true.As a rough guess there may have been upwards to 50 to 75 families living in the "Vaillie"
At the top of the row was the woods & if you turned left & proceeded for about 5 mins you would come to Woodside Terrace locally known as "The Big Pit". I was born there. Surrounded by a "Bing",( from the old mine) farmers field & some more woods was a single red brick structure containing 12 dwellings 6 up 6 down seperated by 3 "closes" with entrance into 4 dwellings. The dwellings themselves contained 2 bedrooms, a bed recessed in a combined living room/ dining room with a grate that burned coal for heat & cooking. There was also a small kitchen which a small sink with a tap for cold water. A water closet was located outside in the close shared by 4 families. The names of the families I can remember who lived in the "Big Pit" were the Bonars, Foxes, Campbells, Kennedy's, Bowies, Armstrongs & Reids. Taking a path (the Cowper or Couper) towards the canal was a little cottage where the Walkers lived. The bing was right behind them & I can remember going to a spot at the base of the bing & gathering pieces of coal for the house when we had no coal to burn. Two things stick in my mind while living in the "Blg Pit" was when soldiers came to do some training in preparation for D Day & when the broke camp they gave us kids lots of goodies & as every thing was rationed, it was great stuff to get. The second event was the 2 bonfires celebrating the war's end. All the families went out of their way, considering the rationing to put an a feast & there was no shortage of wood for burning. My father & other men worked in the nearby mines, the "Wee Mine" near Balmore & before that the "Gulshie' near Blackhill out by Lambhill. Other men worked at the brickworks managed by Mr Mc Farlane. The "Big Pit" was demolished when???? I don't know & is now a Land fill site ( a Tip). So a lot of history is buried.
Most, if not all of the families from the "Big Pit" & Mavis Valley moved to Auchinairn in 1947 & 1948. It was after that the Squatters moved into the houses in the "Vaillie". How long they stayed there I don't know but they were there in the early fifties as I was still delivering Sunday papers to them, then. Some of the original families from the "Big Pit" stayed there at least 7 to 8 years after we left in 1947. The Kennedy's for one.
There you have it. That was the "Vaillie" & the "Big Pit " as I remember them."

--------------------

+Quote Post
RonD
post 10th Feb 2010, 02:23am
Post #67

Mega City Key Holder
Neil asked to add anothe family, The Fawcetts.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Elizabeth McGuchan*
post 10th Feb 2010, 08:26pm
Post #68

My gran lived in Jellyhill. Elizabeth Henderson and her husband John Henderson who worked in the mines but was disabled by an accident which I presume happened in the mine.

My dad's family also lived in Jellyhill. James Johnstone. His mother was Margaret Bankier who I think came from Kilsyth.

+Quote Post
RonD
post 8th Mar 2010, 11:34pm
Post #69

Mega City Key Holder
Memories of Mavis Valley and palces near Bishopbriggs. The first is Cadder bridge by D. Stevenson

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
RonD
post 8th Mar 2010, 11:42pm
Post #70

Mega City Key Holder
Entitled, the BRIGGS, D. Stevenson

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
RonD
post 8th Mar 2010, 11:45pm
Post #71

Mega City Key Holder
These last two and following paintings are from "valleygirl." This one is Called Cadder Bridge by Rose Connolly Brand.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
RonD
post 8th Mar 2010, 11:49pm
Post #72

Mega City Key Holder
This Brash's Brig by Rose Connolly Brand

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
RonD
post 8th Mar 2010, 11:50pm
Post #73

Mega City Key Holder
Bishopbriggs school now the library, by D. Stevenson.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
RonD
post 8th Mar 2010, 11:51pm
Post #74

Mega City Key Holder
Brash''s Brig, which on the canal near the Sports Complex.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
*george mcmillan*
post 26th Mar 2010, 08:48pm
Post #75

QUOTE (RonD @ 9th Mar 2010, 12:06am) *
This Brash's Brig by Rose Connolly Brand

rose brand was my aunt and was one of the connollys from mavis valley my father was James McMillanfrom the valley and he was married to ISA CONNOLLY from there.Bessie Hutchieson still lives in Auchinairn.BILLY,MICHAEL,HELEN,and ALBERT are the only CONNOLLYS still living , the first three in auchinairn an ALBERT in Australia.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Dec 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.