Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shops, fashion shop
doc4655
post 15th Oct 2009, 04:57pm
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 7,589
anyone remember a boutique called BUSTOP - either on Union St or Buchanan St - early 70's. Couldnt wait for my pay packet to head off there every Fri Aft. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sheilajay
post 9th Jan 2011, 03:39pm
Post #2

Visitor
Member No.: 9,435
Like you, BUSTOP,was my fav shop. It was situated on Union street near the steps up to Central station.Remember the fabulous blouses with huge buttons and shoulder pads to match.The only shop to be seen in.(unless you were skint and then it was Chelsea Girl !!!)
Sheilajay

+Quote Post
doc4655
post 9th Jan 2011, 04:52pm
Post #3

Settling In
lovely memories. them were the happy go lucky days. big shoulders, big hair, big shoes - what more could we have asked for

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 9th Jan 2011, 05:06pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Some central heating would have been nice .

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 9th Jan 2011, 05:48pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I was really surprised to see "Dee's" on Argyle St is still operating, it has been going since the 60s.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 10th Jan 2011, 05:43am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
I don't remember Bustop but i do remember Chelsea Girl , Virgo , Wallis and Etams.

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
alybainfan
post 11th Jan 2011, 01:14am
Post #7

Special Visitor
Member No.: 9,290
I worked in Chelsea Girl in Sauchiehall street in the early 70's. I went there from Bernstones the jewellers in the argyle arcade where I was a junior. It was far more glam to work in a Boutique

As a uniform we were given whatever was the latest fashion to wear. For example the summer of '71 we wore Peach hot pants with bib & braces, white silk shirts with mutton sleeves, and pink suede platform boots.

The following winter we wore Oxford bags in red and yellow check, can't remember the top tho', but we wore maxi cardigans on top. The shoes were Oxblood bulldogs with 2-tone laces.

Everyone had identical clothes on. I only lasted a year because it was the most tedious job I ever worked in. I left and went to work on the Isle of Arran.

Does anyone remember ''What Every Woman Wants''? that was at the Trongate end of Argyle street? It used to be near Arthur Blacks shop where all the guys used to go to get their shirts made to measure.

WEWW really was the cheap end of fashion...bit like a smaller version of Primark today! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 11th Jan 2011, 01:24am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
LOL yes i remember it well .you would have to have an assistant with you when you walked round , so you couldnt just go in and browse, you had to have an idea of what you were looking for whether it was a skirt or a top etc etc.Didnt like that at all.However it changed tactics after a while , i think it put a lot of people off.We were all branded as potential shop lifters not a good image .

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
doc4655
post 11th Jan 2011, 10:47am
Post #9

Settling In
central heating would have been the last thing on our minds in the 70s. I dont have any memories of feeling the cold back then. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
jeanniemac
post 23rd Feb 2011, 05:26pm
Post #10

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,332
QUOTE (doc4655 @ 15th Oct 2009, 05:20pm) *
anyone remember a boutique called BUSTOP - either on Union St or Buchanan St - early 70's. Couldnt wait for my pay packet to head off there every Fri Aft. smile.gif

Oh yes - Bus Stop was in Union Street, I loved their fashions and accessories. Not sure but did they sell Mary Quant fashions? I think there was a Biba shop too but can't remember where. I remember the excitement when Chelsea Girl opened. Oh it was always mobbed especially on a Saturday and was one of Glasgow's first boutiques and quite a novelty, with the current chart hits from the time belting out. Etams and Dorothy Perkins got into the act when they stopped selling their clothes from over the counter and started putting everything on rails, a la boutique style. Also there was Mona Lewis at the Trongate which was also popular but quite small in space. I was about 17 or 18 in 1970 and loved the 70's fashions, from chiffon smocked dresses, cheesecloth tie waisted shirts, flared cords and dungarees, floppy collared, long puff sleeved blouses with button cuffs, and of course the tank tops, hot pants, midi dresses and coats and the floppy hats. It was brilliant going shopping with my pal on a Saturday afternoon for something to wear to the Electric Gardens on a Saturday night (or any nights I could afford to go!)

Thank goodness these vintage fashions are being reintroduced at the moment, even with the odd present day tweak (anything goes now but the 60's and 70's fashions seemed more defined and exciting somehow), many of the tunic tops in town now are reminiscent of the late sixties, early seventies geometric and Paisley silky prints (I loved anything with fringes!). I wish I'd kept some of my clothes from that era, although having been a size 10-12 then I maybe couldn't fit my present size 16 figure into them now. Oh, and of course the hairstyles - from the feather cut to the Farrah Fawcett to my beloved Paige boy style which I kept long after the fashion had changed.

+Quote Post
jeanniemac
post 23rd Feb 2011, 05:30pm
Post #11

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,332
QUOTE (jeanniemac @ 23rd Feb 2011, 05:49pm) *
Oh yes - Bus Stop was in Union Street, I loved their fashions and accessories. Not sure but did they sell Mary Quant fashions? I think there was a Biba shop too but can't remember where. I remember the excitement when Chelsea Girl opened. Oh it was always mobbed especially on a Saturday and was one of Glasgow's first boutiques and quite a novelty, with the current chart hits from the time belting out. Etams and Dorothy Perkins got into the act when they stopped selling their clothes from over the counter and started putting everything on rails, a la boutique style. Also there was Mona Lewis at the Trongate which was also popular but quite small in space. I was about 17 or 18 in 1970 and loved the 70's fashions, from chiffon smocked dresses, cheesecloth tie waisted shirts, flared cords and dungarees, floppy collared, long puff sleeved blouses with button cuffs, and of course the tank tops, hot pants, midi dresses and coats and the floppy hats. It was brilliant going shopping with my pal on a Saturday afternoon for something to wear to the Electric Gardens on a Saturday night (or any nights I could afford to go!)

Thank goodness these vintage fashions are being reintroduced at the moment, even with the odd present day tweak (anything goes now but the 60's and 70's fashions seemed more defined and exciting somehow), many of the tunic tops in town now are reminiscent of the late sixties, early seventies geometric and Paisley silky prints (I loved anything with fringes!). I wish I'd kept some of my clothes from that era, although having been a size 10-12 then I maybe couldn't fit my present size 16 figure into them now. Oh, and of course the hairstyles - from the feather cut to the Farrah Fawcett to my beloved Paige boy style which I kept long after the fashion had changed.

Oh - and of course - Virgo!! I had almost forgotten there - so many memories coming back now!!

+Quote Post
*therealslimkaty*
post 5th Jan 2012, 07:11pm
Post #12

I do remember Bus Stop very well, from the late 70s. They sold French Connection clothes which I loved, particularly the viscose shirt/blouses with pockets on the bust and epaulettes. you could buy them in lots of colours. I remember that Bus Stop shut for ages, to be done up and when it re opened as French Connection, they had almost tripled the price of the clothes, including the same shirt that I loved, and I couldn't afford to shop there any more. grrrr

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.