Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

21 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Bands In The 60s, The Golden Crusaders and the Dream Police
Rating 5 V
*Gordon Buchanan*
post 31st Dec 2007, 02:34am
Post #106

QUOTE (Dexter St. Clair @ 11th Jul 2006, 11:39 PM) *
Thanks Poetsfan. it was Sergeant Pepper's when it burnt down and I think it was the Silver slipper cafe too. It was originally the railway station and part of it survived in the shape of the GCT toilet for bus drivers.

have several Poets singles and a bootleg CD was issued courtesy of Lenny of the Thanes.

B4 perfecting my drumming skills I used to go to the Candlelight Club to see THE ALEX HARVEY BIG SOUL BAND.
This left a lasting impression on me,George Mc Gowan was the drummer then.
Through a drunken haze at the age of 17 I found myself pulling hard on a bannister to reach a venue above the BAYHORSE (on the corner of west nile street) which I was enlightened 2 days later was the R&B ALLNIGHTER CLUB.
The artistes were of course ALEX HARVEY AND CO.
This story could go on and on,but I ended up playing in the band at THE LENNOXBANK SUNDAY CLUB(Balloch). TEENSVILE(Dumbarton),where the destemper on the walls and ceiling fell on everyone when we started with THE BOSTON TEA PARTY!
Ended up in THE BIG SIX from my home town of Dumbarton.
We played 2 years in Glasgow University Union ,backing THE BILL LAMBERT DANCE BAND.
This gave us lots of contacts to the glasgow upper crust and we went on to be a niche band popular from North Uist to Yorkshire.
Reply to this post if you want a few laughs of our exploits.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 3rd Jan 2008, 12:32am
Post #107

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Thanks for the info Gordon. Somebody mentioned a club above the Bay Horse in relation to a killing by Hugh Collins ( i think the murder took place in the Lunar 7 in Buchanan Street) Anyway was the R&B allnighter club known by any other name?

Somebody above mentioned Alan Fullager. He's still in Glasgow. His former colleague is now Doctor Alan McKinnon and his son Iain was the guitarist in Glasgow band Dresden who broke up last year.

here's Iain

+Quote Post
*Guest Springfield **
post 3rd Jan 2008, 01:10am
Post #108

QUOTE (Alex ligertwood @ 7th Nov 2007, 03:26 AM) *
The photo of the Senate is very rare, how did you come to have it?By the way,the third man from the left is Bob Mather..
Cheer`s, Alex..

Ludgie!
It's just one of the Senate photos I've got ..... I was your roadie in Italy
Mike Clark

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 3rd Jan 2008, 05:52am
Post #109

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
Gordon , Alex Harvey was one of the best artists I have ever seen live , he was a true showman

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 3rd Jan 2008, 12:40pm
Post #110

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
I believe the original singers of the song " Please Stay" was the Crying Shames hope that helps you mate.

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 3rd Jan 2008, 12:47pm
Post #111

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
I believe the original singers of the song " Please Stay" was the Crying Shames hope that helps you mate.

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
Linky
post 4th Jan 2008, 07:43pm
Post #112

Visitor
Member No.: 1,588
QUOTE (Dexter St. Clair @ 3rd Jan 2008, 01:39 AM) *
Thanks for the info Gordon. Somebody mentioned a club above the Bay Horse in relation to a killing by Hugh Collins ( i think the murder took place in the Lunar 7 in Buchanan Street) Anyway was the R&B allnighter club known by any other name?

Somebody above mentioned Alan Fullager. He's still in Glasgow. His former colleague is now Doctor Alan McKinnon and his son Iain was the guitarist in Glasgow band Dresden who broke up last year.

here's Iain

Dexter,
I had mentioned Alan Fullager as he took over from me on bass with the House of Lords, 'Dr' Alan McKinnon played drums at the time and I got a nice e mail from Ian thru this forum (...how did we pick up 'deja vu' in the old days'. Gordon B's quote brought back memories the alll nighter we used to go after gigs was the top floor flat in West Nile st above 'Forbes' the music shop where Lesley Harvey played with the Silohettes and the AH Big Soul Band + Lena Martell along with he fiancee ( sax player think he died of leukemia).What a great undiscovered blues voice Lena has, we tend to think of the TV image. I believe my old sax player with the H of L is still playing along with big Gordon Sellar(ex Beggars Opera) would be nce to contact them again.
As musos are a close knit community over the mists of time, the GGB should have a contact section....where we all are now!!, I know I am in exile in Aberdeenshire for the last 25 tears but still playing:O)

+Quote Post
Linky
post 4th Jan 2008, 07:46pm
Post #113

Visitor
QUOTE (Linky @ 4th Jan 2008, 08:50 PM) *
Dexter,
I had mentioned Alan Fullager as he took over from me on bass with the House of Lords, 'Dr' Alan McKinnon played drums at the time and I got a nice e mail from Ian thru this forum (...how did we pick up 'deja vu' in the old days'. Gordon B's quote brought back memories the alll nighter we used to go after gigs was the top floor flat in West Nile st above 'Forbes' the music shop where Lesley Harvey played with the Silohettes and the AH Big Soul Band + Lena Martell along with he fiancee ( sax player think he died of leukemia).What a great undiscovered blues voice Lena has, we tend to think of the TV image. I believe my old sax player with the H of L is still playing along with big Gordon Sellar(ex Beggars Opera) would be nce to contact them again.
As musos are a close knit community over the mists of time, the GGB should have a contact section....where we all are now!!, I know I am in exile in Aberdeenshire for the last 25 tears but still playing:O)

sax player with the House of Lords was Neil Moir
cheers
Linky

+Quote Post
Linky
post 4th Jan 2008, 08:20pm
Post #114

Visitor
QUOTE (lindamac @ 3rd Jan 2008, 01:54 PM) *

Linda,
Originally by the Drifters, used to do it in my first band the Cosmics.Trakkers...must be an age thing this trivia!!
cheers

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 4th Jan 2008, 08:50pm
Post #115

Mega City Key Holder

Hi Linda, (and Linky)

The Cryan' Shames got it into the charts possibly because their version was produced by Joe Meek. A lot of groups did it after they heard the original version by The Drifters. It was written by Burt Bacharach and Bob Hilliard and made a good tune for a moonie at the end of the night. I see it's still popular with Scottish bands as The McDonald Brothers appear to have a version on their CD.

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 5th Jan 2008, 04:49am
Post #116

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
The Bay City Rollers did a version of Please stay in the 70's, it was lovely , but there again I was a teenager so maybe it wasnt really nice and I have never heard it again, actually I must look for it on you tube , it is a lovely song.

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
*Brian Hunter*
post 9th Jan 2008, 09:41pm
Post #117

Hi
This brings back memories, played in Breadline managed by Martin Frutin doing all the gigs in Glasgow, Edinburgh,and Fife. Backed the Who in Carlisle and Paisley, Joe Cockers first Maryland appearance,and many others. played alongside most of the bands mentioned in this great site
Contacted rockinscots and they never heard of us, am I dreaming.

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 10th Jan 2008, 01:01am
Post #118

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Brian. Thanks for the post. Any photos or more detailed reminiscences including the band line up. ?

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 3rd Feb 2008, 05:46pm
Post #119

Mega City Key Holder
There's a sixties soul show on Sunny Govan radio. You can hear it on 103.5FM in the Glasgow area or listen online to Sunny Govan Radio.

The presenters read out some of the above posts about the clubs and the bands. They're looking for information about Alexander the DJ at Club Maryland in Scott Street and any sixties memories about the soul records you bought or the clubs you went to.

Where was the Elizabethan?

They read out an email from Ian Seabourne who went to the Maryland on Friday nights in the late sixties. Ian was originally from Langlands Road in Govan but e mailed in from Hong Kong. Anyone know him? And was the maryland more of a Blues/ rock club on a Friday, as one of the presenters said?

+Quote Post
*J2*
post 5th Feb 2008, 10:15pm
Post #120

The Elizabethian was in Clyde Street and the all night R & B club was called The Bagatelle

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st Mar 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.