Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

25 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should Begging Be Made Illegal?, Calls for city centre begging to be criminalised
*Guvin Jimm*
post 24th Jan 2014, 11:05am
Post #61

QUOTE (dugald @ 23rd Jan 2014, 01:07pm) *
Guvin jimm tells us:

"The only beggars I remember in Govan were men who had their legs blown off in foreign wars. And even at that they would play the harmonica or do chalk drawings on the pavement to retain a semblance of pride.
"

The beggars I have seen in Govan were not only the one's to which Guvin jimm refers, but I recall clearly the ones he mentions. I recall in particular one who use to play the "moothie" at the queue on a Saturday night at the Lyseum. Not only was he minus a leg, but he did wear the two General Service gongs from the Great War, and for some reason or other I never questioned his right to wear them. I might mention too, that at this time I knew three men who had lost a limb in the war, maybe this contributes to my never questioning his right to wear the medals. If I had any money I'd put a penny or maybe a half-penny in his hat. I remember he was quite a good singer, and in my way of thinking, he had every right to entertain the Govan folk.

Surely Guvin jimm, you also remember the occasional singer that would come around and sing in the back yard for a penny or two? I recall them too; in fact, I still recall one who was a regular every once in a while, and she'd sing that Aussie song that goes something like, "In an old Australia homstead wi' the rosies round the door....."--- a song i believe, about the Suvla Bay disaster.

I well remember the men who sang around the backs. And the Lyceum buskers. There was one who sat outside St.Anthony on Govan rd. and drew chalk pictures with a religious theme. People were pretty deprived in Govan just after the war and even parting with pennies and ha'pennies was a sacrifice, but Govan people were very aware that if you were seeking money on the street (I wont use the term begging as they tried their best to give something in return), you were really desparate, and generally gave a few coins. When I was an apprentice in Fairfields I worked with a guy who trained as a fighter pilot, but the war ended before he was operational, who was a very good trumpet player and used to go busking out side the cinemas. He made no pretence at being disabled but he dressed in his old work clothes to look the part. There were others like him who were acomplished musicians and did the rounds of cinema Qs. If you do remember you could wait for hours to get into a new Cinemascope movie in the 50s.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 24th Jan 2014, 12:28pm
Post #62

Nobody should need to beg for money.

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 24th Jan 2014, 01:35pm
Post #63

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
QUOTE (Guest @ 24th Jan 2014, 12:45pm) *
Nobody should need to beg for money.

No, nobody should have to beg in an ideal world but, sadly, we don't live in one.

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 24th Jan 2014, 05:45pm
Post #64

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 849
A year ago at home in Scotland I would never have condoned begging in the street...am working in Poland just now with a cold factor we could never experience at home....every day I pass old grans out in the street with a cup begging...whatever change I have is given to them....might well be a con I don't know or care....I am nearly weeping with the cold at times but know at the end of my day I go home to to a comfortable flat...with great food and a good life....in Warsaw I food shop at M&S...cheaper than at home so how could I compare my life to people who have either nothing or very little....I can't do that.

--------------------
Abair ach beagan is abair gu math e

+Quote Post
weebee
post 24th Jan 2014, 07:49pm
Post #65

Unpacking
Member No.: 17,624
I can only see it getting worse

+Quote Post
wombat
post 24th Jan 2014, 08:34pm
Post #66

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
thumbup.gif GREED should be made illegal,even a wee scabby vermin like me has shelter ,

a feed, and a drink laugh.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 24th Jan 2014, 09:53pm
Post #67

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Hi Ross - nice to see you posting from a very cold Poland, and you can see first hand what absolute poverty is like, once again you are putting your young wise head on your shoulders, this will be a lesson in life which you will always carry with you.

I liked your observation that you could come back to Scotland to comfort - whereas these people you are seeing, have no chance of that.

Hope you are well.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Jimmuck
post 25th Jan 2014, 11:38am
Post #68

Resident
Member No.: 546
I jist love the 'There shouldn't be the need for begging on our streets' brigade's comments, BUT THERE IS! this is the contuance of my posts earlier, afore a wee 'dingbat wombat' ate the paper ........

Fiona is/was a memeber on this board too .... and she posted this wee message about a wee fella she knew in Glenrothes, Fife .......

his name was Stuart...... he sold his Issues outside Lydles in glenrothers......... he was found dead last week .... he had tried really hard , on and off , to come off the drink/drugs......... he was on a methodone programme and was detoxing ....... looked well and really clean ........some folk would have called him "Scum" ... "a druggie" ....... he was someone`s son , he had a name ... do you know the name of your Big Issue vendor ???... do you even care ??? ....... Fi .....XXXX

Chinas, sometimes in your life it seems that 'all' is against you and you can't 'win one' try a wee Prayer. GO tae a quiet place an' talk tae whoever ye believe in an' 'turn your troubles over to ???'
We had a 'story' on the Board aboot a wee fella, " Stuart " who selt the "Big Issue" on the streets of Glenrothes, Fife. This young fella wiss only 26, homeless and fightin' a drug habit when he 'lost the big wan' an' froze tae death, alone and forsaken.
Well this big eejit identified wae 'Stuart' a'cause o' ma ain fight wae addictions an' suicidal mentality, tryin' tae freeze tae death on the Lake Erie ice in a futile attempt tae 'end it'!
I'm Still Here an' Clean an Sober, 31 years later. T.B.T.G.
Fiona told us about the wee fella an' how he'd be put tae rest in a coupla days an' being a big saftie, ah thought ah'd get a Scottish Dooman tae release some Wee White Doos in a symbol o' unity.
Ah called a pal, Joe Murphy of Thornton, oot Kirkcaldy way, who writes for the "Racing & Homing Pigeon Magazines" in the U.K. if he knew anybody who could get tae the wee fellas funeral an' dae me this wee favour. Well, it wisnae much time an' although Joe an' me talked a few times oan the phone, ah still wisnae sure if it wiss gonnie happen.
Here's the wee message we got on the day o' wee Stuart's funeral pals an' by God! ma prayers wiss answered an'na Scotsman wizzatt the ither end.

Here's Fiona's wee message fae The Kingdom o' Fife chinas ...........

fionam, Guest

Re: (No Subject)
Message sent on Feb 3, 2009, 11:29am [Reply]
[Delete]
Awwwwwe Jimmuck ... it happened , it really , really did ... a man and woman came just before the Service and asked for someone called Fiona ......... they had two beautiful white birds.... in a heart shaped white wicker basket with white roses on it .... it was just awesome !!!.... I told , in the eulogy , of this big man friend I had up in the great lakes of Canada , who was so touched by Stuarts poem , that he sent these two white doves to symbolize Stuart`s wee soul soaring up the Heaven.....

I asked Stuart`s Mum to open the basket at the end of the Service and there was a big round of applause and hardly a dry eye in the hoose........ You are simply the BEST !!!........ ILUVSYA !!!!! Fi ....xxxx

P.S .... I dont know the couple`s name , but I know where they live , so will take a wee bunch of flowers round... they live in a place called CADHAM , which is just outside Glenrothes and a few minutes from my own village of Markinch..... my Pastor took their details as , they had never done anything like this before , and he said there may be a wee business venture here as often , at funerals , people do mention white doves and he never knew where to direct them .......... God works in wonderful , mysterious ways .......xxxxx

--------------------
"Watch Yurr Mooth!"

+Quote Post
Heather
post 25th Jan 2014, 02:31pm
Post #69

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Jimmuck, that story about Stuart really touched my heart, and it will make me look closer at those who sell The Big Issue, and some other's.

Thank you for telling us about Stuart.

RIP Stuart.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 25th Jan 2014, 09:45pm
Post #70

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,553
Guvin Jimm, the kind of "begger" who seems to incur the wrath on this thread, was not the kind one saw around my Govan. As you suggest, the Govan ones tried their best to give something in return. Sometimes the kind we have here in Kingston, Ontario, will stand and play a fiddle or even sing in the summer time, but there is a hard core who simply sit all wrapped up puffing away on their expensive cigarettes, with their 'bunnet' sitting in front of them.

In other parts of Scotland outside the cities I recall many times coming across a lone piper blowing away on his pipes with the hope no doubt that some misty-eyed tourist will stop and listen to the piping and leave a donation to the piper's cause. I have seen this a couple of times on the Duke's Pass climb out of Aberfoyle for example, and I view this as an attraction.... adds a wee touch of Scottish music to the very Scottish scene. I've also witnessed a tinker in the bar of the Tarbert , Loch Fyne, Hotel, playing his pipes. Next morning at breakfast, the proprietor complained to us about the tinker's behavior in his bar, but it did not go to unnoticed that he hadn't stopped the piper playing, and this in turn did not stop drinks being bought for the tinker! I enjoyed the tinker's piping, and I bought him a drink, because I felt he had earned it..

+Quote Post
*Guvin Jimm*
post 26th Jan 2014, 08:47am
Post #71

QUOTE (dugald @ 25th Jan 2014, 10:02pm) *
Guvin Jimm, the kind of "begger" who seems to incur the wrath on this thread, was not the kind one saw around my Govan. As you suggest, the Govan ones tried their best to give something in return. Sometimes the kind we have here in Kingston, Ontario, will stand and play a fiddle or even sing in the summer time, but there is a hard core who simply sit all wrapped up puffing away on their expensive cigarettes, with their 'bunnet' sitting in front of them.

In other parts of Scotland outside the cities I recall many times coming across a lone piper blowing away on his pipes with the hope no doubt that some misty-eyed tourist will stop and listen to the piping and leave a donation to the piper's cause. I have seen this a couple of times on the Duke's Pass climb out of Aberfoyle for example, and I view this as an attraction.... adds a wee touch of Scottish music to the very Scottish scene. I've also witnessed a tinker in the bar of the Tarbert , Loch Fyne, Hotel, playing his pipes. Next morning at breakfast, the proprietor complained to us about the tinker's behavior in his bar, but it did not go to unnoticed that he hadn't stopped the piper playing, and this in turn did not stop drinks being bought for the tinker! I enjoyed the tinker's piping, and I bought him a drink, because I felt he had earned it..

I am a great believer in "dont work you dont eat" my faither's words (and he did throw me oot for not working: I got a job the next day) might seem harsh but I have never since then gone without a job. When I was wee in Guvin we chopped up old wood of any kind, tied it in bundles and sold it "roon the backs". Other times we would hunt for bottles and take them back to the pubs that carried their label, the sweetie shops that sold ginger, and if we had no label bottles we could take them to a french polishers shop somewhere in Shaw st. and get a penny for them. This was all in aid of going to the movies mid week during the holidays as we had spent our 9d. pocket money at the Plaza Minors on saturday. If somebody is begging and smoking, where does the money come from? Here in OZ two packs a day can cost you $200 and more per week. There are those who fall between the cracks in the pavement but as I have stated before there are plenty out there who see it as their duty to care and assist them. Our ex prime minister lived in a car with his mother and siblings when he was young due to desertion and poverty. All aid should be given to homeless families with children. In this day and age discrimination is essential in differentiating between those whose lifestyle choices have led them to destitution and those who by no fault or choice of their own found themselves destitute. I might seem judgemental but I came from a town and generation that saw real raw poverty and for the most part rose above it.

+Quote Post
Robert Mullen
post 26th Jan 2014, 01:15pm
Post #72

Settling In
Member No.: 25,890
Sometimes I think beggars are not to blame for the situations that they are in. It mostly comes down to fatcat company owners wanting to get richer at the expense of the working class. Most of the time it is do the same amount of work with less people. That is where the saying comes from "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer."

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 26th Jan 2014, 02:24pm
Post #73

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
The so called beggars are all tarred with the money for nothing stick.Ive seen the same guys,all fit looking,sitting on their asses with the poor mouth.One thing is for certain,why should people be expected to help them when they are content to sit there and make no effort to improve their situation?
In my view they are lazy,conniving degenerates.

+Quote Post
angel
post 26th Jan 2014, 05:35pm
Post #74

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
As I mentioned in an earlier post , here in Toronto begging is illegal but it is not enforced in public places but I believe it is on public transport .

I think that if the public stopped subscribing to these " maybe unfortunates ? on the streets " ! and donated those monies to legitimate charitable organizations , " ... in my opinion the Salvation Army, your local food banks and such like , this would at the very least ,cut down on the street begging .

However , I must say that when I hear entertaining music on the street coming from a busker , I do donate . biggrin.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
GG
post 26th Jan 2014, 06:54pm
Post #75

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
The barefoot begging man was back on a wet and freezing Wednesday at his usual spot. He wasn't there after that, at that pitch anyway, because they are digging up the pavement now!

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.