Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

25 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should Begging Be Made Illegal?, Calls for city centre begging to be criminalised
carmella
post 23rd Jan 2014, 12:08am
Post #46

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Am I missing something here?

Heather I'm intrigued as to why a Nun would be begging in Glasgow City Centre?

Is she really a Nun, or is she pretending to be one to get the money?

I've never heard of this before or seen it.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 23rd Jan 2014, 07:42am
Post #47

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
If I remember correctly, when I was in Glasgow in November, there was a nun sitting just inside Dunnes store in Sauchihall Street. She was collecting for something, possibly the hospice. She looked like a genuine nun to me and was very friendly.

No different to the local hospice here in Hertfordshire having a charity shop really. In an ideal world these wonderful places would be get more funding as they do a fantastic job in times of need.

When I was young and living in Glasgow, I would regularly be seen selling flags for the St Vincent de Paul. That couldn't be seen as begging. These days maybe not so many people volunteer to collect donations so the nuns themselves get out there and do it.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 23rd Jan 2014, 09:31am
Post #48

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (carmella @ 23rd Jan 2014, 12:25am) *
Am I missing something here?

Heather I'm intrigued as to why a Nun would be begging in Glasgow City Centre?

Is she really a Nun, or is she pretending to be one to get the money?

I've never heard of this before or seen it.

Carmella, there have been Nuns collecting, for their order, outside M&S in Argyll St for as long as I can remember. In fact they would often be collecting along side someone doing the same on behalf of the Salvation Army. Funnily enough, on my last few visits into town (including yesterday) there was nobody there except the big issue seller.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Heather
post 23rd Jan 2014, 10:29am
Post #49

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Carmella, If I remember correctly, the Nun's are from the ' Little Sisters of the Poor'.

Gardenqueen, I also sold flags for the St. Vincent De Paul.
We usually ended up in St. Aloysius Garnethill Hall where they gave the Collectors tea and scones for free.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 23rd Jan 2014, 10:46am
Post #50

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
That's right, Heather, I remember now. Not the hospice this time.

+Quote Post
Robert Mullen
post 23rd Jan 2014, 11:31am
Post #51

Settling In
Member No.: 25,890
Hi all

Here in Germiston. South Africa we don't have much of a problem with beggars except the occasional few that stand outside supermarkets asking for money for food and and when you offer to buy them food they ask for the money to buy their own food when they actually want the money to buy alcohol. If that happen then I refuse to part with money. The other thing is if you give them once they expect you to give them again and therefor become a pain in the neck.

The big problem we have is people selling every kind of thing at the traffic lights on busy roads which has become a real pain in the neck for motorists.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 23rd Jan 2014, 11:43am
Post #52

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
I read with interest of the nun at M&S.She and others like her are not begging but doing a charitable collection and I surmise any money collected by her would go to good causes.I have absolutely no problem with this admirable activity.
One of the orders(Little Sisters?) has the authority to do these collections at any time as opposed to other charities who require permission/permits when they wish to collect on designated days.

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 23rd Jan 2014, 12:50pm
Post #53

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,553
Guvin jimm tells us:

"The only beggars I remember in Govan were men who had their legs blown off in foreign wars. And even at that they would play the harmonica or do chalk drawings on the pavement to retain a semblance of pride.
"

The beggars I have seen in Govan were not only the one's to which Guvin jimm refers, but I recall clearly the ones he mentions. I recall in particular one who use to play the "moothie" at the queue on a Saturday night at the Lyseum. Not only was he minus a leg, but he did wear the two General Service gongs from the Great War, and for some reason or other I never questioned his right to wear them. I might mention too, that at this time I knew three men who had lost a limb in the war, maybe this contributes to my never questioning his right to wear the medals. If I had any money I'd put a penny or maybe a half-penny in his hat. I remember he was quite a good singer, and in my way of thinking, he had every right to entertain the Govan folk.

Surely Guvin jimm, you also remember the occasional singer that would come around and sing in the back yard for a penny or two? I recall them too; in fact, I still recall one who was a regular every once in a while, and she'd sing that Aussie song that goes something like, "In an old Australia homstead wi' the rosies round the door....."--- a song i believe, about the Suvla Bay disaster.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 23rd Jan 2014, 03:36pm
Post #54

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Ashfield and Heather

Thank you both for explaining it to me. In all these years, I've never seen this. I was putting it in the context of begging, but I think when we talk about begging in Glasgow or any other city in the UK, we and certainly I, am not thinking of people who are collecting for local charities, or the Nuns collecting for their orders - now that it's been pointed out to me, I can certainly understand it, and I would certainly contribute. Like others, I did this when I was a teenager collecting for various things, usually organized by the Church.

The type of begging I think the topic is about are the street beggars who are also most probably, homeless.

I do give to them, although with some hesitance, simply because I tend to look at people sometimes as victims, and there but for the grace of God go I attitude. I had a friend who was the hardest working family man, with six kids, who through no fault of his own, he lost everything, he and his wife had their home re-possessed and they lived in one room of a hotel for 3 years. I felt so sorry for them, they did nothing of their own volition to deserve this.

Some of the people we see on our streets these days, would have had jobs and homes at one time (I'm sure) but perhaps got caught up in drink and drugs to end up where they are - there will equally be others who have not become involved in taking drugs or alcohol, so I simply put a 1 coin in when they collect. I don't give to everyone, just the ones I 'feel' are genuine - but who knows.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
*Rob Schellinger*
post 23rd Jan 2014, 03:58pm
Post #55

Here in Polk County (central) Florida, there's an ordinance that outlaws solicitation of money, business and jobs in public roadways.

http://tinyurl.com/pu4js3v

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 23rd Jan 2014, 05:08pm
Post #56

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (Jimmuck @ 22nd Jan 2014, 11:58pm) *
And your point is??? ya scabby wee vermin ye tongue.gif

laugh.gif Git tore right intae 'im Big Yin. See that Wombat, he's beggin' fur a skelp roon the lugs laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
wombat
post 23rd Jan 2014, 06:25pm
Post #57

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 23rd Jan 2014, 06:25pm) *
Git tore right intae 'im Big Yin. See that Wombat, he's beggin' fur a skelp roon the lugs

tongue.gif i'm outta here,hee hee. laugh.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
*Blackie- Springburn*
post 23rd Jan 2014, 08:31pm
Post #58

Not everyone has cash and begging cannot be helped. There is a lot of money in Glasgow and money is made round to go around.

+Quote Post
jakka13
post 24th Jan 2014, 03:05am
Post #59

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,815
We had a fairly young man who begged outside my local grocery store .He sat on a sort of home made cart ,seemed a bit simple and could hardly speak .I gave him money on many occasions ,feeling sorry for him.
One day the man who collects the buggies saw me give him money and told me not to give him anymore !! .He said it was a scam and I should wait in my car a little while and watch him .Well a short time later ,up gets the beggar .Picks up his cart puts it behind a mail box and walks into the store .
I got out of the car and followed him in and here he is laughing and joking with the girl on the service desk while he was putting on his Pro-line bet . ohmy.gif
That was the last time I gave to anyone begging outside the stores .I give to the Salvation Army ,I buy Poppies and I give to real causes when they sell their flags etc .

--------------------
Auld but Still Game.

+Quote Post
boots
post 24th Jan 2014, 10:02am
Post #60

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,524
I guess I'm somewhat like Carmella in that I generally go by my gut-feeling when deciding whether or not to give to those who simply ask for money and I definitely do not consider buskers or street artists to be begging, in my opinion they are working.
I too remember the back court singers from when I lived in "the holy city" in Clydebank before the
blitz. One young man came every Sunday morning and was very popular, people would make requests and "Danny Boy" would be heard several times before he was out of earshot. Coins wrapped in newspaper would be thrown down to him from kitchen windows and all the adults seemed to feel he would have a good future as a professional singer.

I

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.