Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gourley St. School Springburn 1970-72, looking for old friends
steved
post 16th Apr 2005, 11:09pm
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 1,905
Hi....I recently came across an old class photo of one of the above years..and wondered if anyone who remembered would like to talk about the old days... Steve.... laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
toerag
post 17th Apr 2005, 01:27am
Post #2

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 167
hello steve, i went to gourlie school but a bit before your time, 1953-1960 I hear its still there but not a school anymore! sad.gif

+Quote Post
steved
post 17th Apr 2005, 03:53pm
Post #3

Settling In
Hi..
Thanks for that...the school is now used as a centre for social workers...i havent been in it for thirty years but can stil visualise the layout. Most of what was there in Sprigburn has been destroyed and the people who lived there long gone. The house i lived in in Gourlay St 102, is actually still there..it was next to the big gates leading down to the railway repair shops..but the second one at 34 Crichton St no longer exists..that whole portion of the stree was condemned and pulled down...what saddens me rather uis the lack of photographs from the 60s and 70s..there are some around...but nothing which justifies the importance of the place at that time or the vast population who lived there....
the only teacher who would have survived in the school from your time to mine would have been Mrs Hood....i think..
thanks again for your reply...

+Quote Post
flims
post 17th Apr 2005, 05:46pm
Post #4

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,648
Hi All Is this the School you refer to in your postings,as having attended Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
toerag
post 18th Apr 2005, 12:47am
Post #5

Super City Key Holder
thanks flims for the photo, looks just the same, I think the small building at the right was the janitor's house. I guess they stayed on the school property back then. I can just see us all marching up the stairs to the piano playing, we did not dare step out of line.! There was also the wee school which would have been in the left of the photo. Steve cant say I remember Mrs Hood, the teacher I remember most was Mrs. Stallard! I lived on CrichtonStreet, at the opposite end, toward the cemetry, up abouve Jacks paper shop! Mary the dairy was at the corner of Gourlay St & Crichton Street.

+Quote Post
flims
post 18th Apr 2005, 06:36am
Post #6

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,648
Hi All Gourlay St Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 18th Apr 2005, 08:18am
Post #7

Hi All...

Thanks flims for the pic updates....i have never seen the second one which shows the end of Gourlay St...cut in half as it were. When I lived there it was simply two uninterrupted rows of tenements which led down to a small shop at the corner.
In your pic we can just make out the old playing fields of cowlairs park. This used to be a magic play area for us to get away from the dirt of the backs...they used to have putting and Bowling greens in that park along with several football pitches (black Ash) and a big area with swings and chutes etc...
Thanks Toerag re Crichton St....I lived on the other side at the corner with Gourlay St...i do remember Jacks ..I know exactly where you are....opposite me was the dairy at the corner...then i think a close and then a bakery. The bakery stands out as i bought a pie one day which had a small stone inside....as compensation they gave us a massive box of cakes!..as a youngster i was in heaven...
if you went through my close at 34 and into the back...the are backed on to the infant section of the school..which had a massive playrgound area..where we used to play our football..
You are correct about the Janitors House..in my time it was a Mr Blaney....i note with interest your reference to 'militaristic' marching up the stairs!..there was no piano in my time but it was always chaos lining up to go in....I dont remember Mrs. Stallard..the head teacher at the time was an elderly lady Mrs Muir...but we had a very strict teacher Called Miss Marshall. Some of used to stop at the old sink at the left hand side through the doors for a quick drink..then rejoin it to head upstairs..you had to be quick...she would belt anyone she caught doing it... Toerage do you remember Kennedy's another bakery shop immediatey opposite the Janitors House at the corner? it was on the same side as the Princess cinema...tongue.gif

+Quote Post
steved
post 18th Apr 2005, 08:22am
Post #8

Settling In
sorry guys..the unregistered post there was mine...i had forgotten to log in....

+Quote Post
toerag
post 19th Apr 2005, 01:43am
Post #9

Super City Key Holder
You brought back memories of the park, we used to go there for a picnic, eat our sandwich & bottle of ginger and back home again!!! I dont remember the bakery opposite the janitors house, but there was a bakery just past the princes cinema towards springburn rd. they made the most delicious strawberry tarts, and you used to get a wee "print" of fresh butter in there! When you mention stopping for a drink of water at the sink, the sink in that school always had carbolic soap, what a smell! Thanks flims for the picture of Gourlay St. what a difference!

+Quote Post
steved
post 19th Apr 2005, 06:55am
Post #10

Settling In
Gourlay Street early seventies

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
geraldine france...
post 5th Jan 2009, 10:44am
Post #11

Special Visitor
Member No.: 5,513
Hi guys i used to live in gourley st i think it was 136,i lived there in 68-69 4 about 2,3yrs when i lived there ther was a young girl that died i think she was about my age @ the time maybe 5yrs through 2 8yrs old my second name is mitchell.i also went to gourley st sch.

+Quote Post
sumac
post 8th Oct 2020, 12:08pm
Post #12

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,359
My uncle and aunt, Andrew and May Croall, lived in Gourlay Street in the 60s but I don’t know what number.

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd Dec 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.