Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cheapside Docks Fire, Glasgow Heroes
frame
post 26th Oct 2005, 03:13pm
Post #1

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,486
does anyone recall that shocking night? i think it was 1960 maybe around march. 19 firemen were killed in the fire that raged at cheapside docks. i was in auldhouse boys home at the time. i was fifteen and due to leave at easter to make my way solo in the big world. never forget that night. the supevisor, mr peters,came to our room and woke us up to tell us. it blew our minds 19 heroes gone just like that. that night has stayed with me down through the years. those guys didn't care for their own safety they had a job to do.

--------------------
speed bonny boat
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 26th Oct 2005, 03:40pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
On Monday 28 March 1960, fire broke out in a whisky warehouse in Cheapside Street at Anderston Quay. The Glasgow Fire Brigade were in attendance when, at around 7pm, an explosion occurred, trapping nineteen firemen in the rubble. Three fire engines were also buried in the rubble. After five hours extra units were sent from Paisley, Coatbridge, Shotts and Dumbarton but it was the following day before the fire was brought under control. Early that morning it was officially announced that there could be no hope for the trapped firemen.

It is generally accepted that the Cheapside fire was one of Scotlandís worst fire disasters.

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 30th Oct 2005, 04:43pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
Film of fire here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/history/scot...topic=emergency

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 30th Oct 2005, 04:49pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
I remember the james wattst fire and my da was crying when he came home as he saw the people schreeming at the guards on the window and was so helpless to help a was only a wee lassie and a think it was the first time i saw ma daddy crying it is said ;we will go to hell I sometimes think we live in it as there is fire somewhere around the world makes you think eh sad.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Heather
post 30th Oct 2005, 08:11pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I well remember this fire. We lived in Shamrock Street at the time and could see the flames from our window.

My husband's brother was one of the firemen attending this fire.
We were watching TV and knew nothing until my husband's sister-in-law came to our door in a terrible state. It had been announced on the TV channel she was watching, that the building had collapsed on some fire engines.

My husband and his sister-in-law spent half the night going between Cheapside and the Fire Station trying to find the names of the men injured. Finally down at Cheapside they saw his brother, he was one of the lucky one's.
It took my brother-in-law a long time to get over this disaster.

He was in Kelvinside Station and they had been alerted to go to Ingram St. Station to man it, as all their engines were out at Cheapside. On their way down there they got a radio alert to go to Cheapside. They arrived a few minutes after the building collapsed killing 14 Firemen and 5 Salvage Corp men.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
GG
post 6th Nov 2005, 03:19pm
Post #6

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
A fine memorial is located in the Glasgow Necropolis and details the events and those who sadly lost their lives.

http://www.glasgowguide.co.uk/images_Glasg...lis_index5.html

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Melody
post 6th Nov 2005, 04:57pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
I still recall the very sad atmosphere of that particular evening so well. A family friend who was a firefighter was called out to that fire, he was graciously returned safely to his family. Although I was only a wee lassie I well remember the feelings of anxiety in the house and the terrible sadness that hung over the city in the days and months afterwards. A terrible night and terrible loss to us all. I don't think we could ever forget those brave men who perished.

+Quote Post
awood
post 3rd Feb 2006, 01:37pm
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,922
Hi

My name is Andrew Wood and i'm a student at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama. I'm looking to make a documentary about the Cheapside St Fire and i wondered if you would be intersted in taking part??

Regards

Andrew Wood

+Quote Post
Melody
post 4th Feb 2006, 10:13am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Andrew I received your e-mail and thank you. Sorry, but everyone on here will tell you just how shy and retiring I am, I might give you the odd wee song however appearing on a documentary? Aw naw! Thanks anyway, and I wish you every success at the academy. See ah was only a wee lassie at the time of the fire ( ah don't even tell them on here that ah'm that auld ye see) They canny hear me when a talk in brackets.
Good luck with the documentary though. smile.gif

+Quote Post
AndyR1
post 20th Oct 2006, 01:40pm
Post #10

Visitor
Member No.: 3,402
My uncle was one of the Firemen (station officer) at the cheapside fire and lost a few of his men in the fire, he died a few weeks ago (84) and I know it haunted him for all of those years that he lost so many friends work mates in that fire and yes they were heroes but unsung most of the time.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 9th Nov 2006, 05:47pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
God Rest his very brave soul Andy.

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 14th Dec 2008, 11:25pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,256
I remember the Cheapeside fire very well back in thr 50s my Wife's cousin's husband was Decorated with the G.M. for his effort in that fire, my Wife and I were invited to the Fireman's Xmas Party, at the Hall, his Fire Station was down somewhere at the bottom of I think Avenuepark St. also there was the Fireman's houses right there as well, yes I certainly remember the Cheapside fire, I think he earned his Medal when the wall collapsed something he never spoke about

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 14th Dec 2008, 11:35pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Correction ,I thought that the cheapeside fire happened on 1959 but I see that it was on 1960 my Wife and I lived on Fernie St. at that time, I can't remember my Wife's cousin's Married name but her name was Mary Swan

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 14th Dec 2008, 11:44pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
To Andy R1 what Station was your Uncle stationed at, my Wife's cousin's Husband was stationed down off Avenuepark St, I think that it might still be there I remember seeing the residences back in 2005 I think, my Wife and I used to come home every year up until 2005

+Quote Post
*James F. Rochford*
post 22nd Aug 2009, 04:24pm
Post #15

I went to Cheapside Street,that night,with my mum,she got told my Dads Work was on fire,Alex. Munro the butchers,next door to Arbuckle Smith,the bond,when we got there the fire was blazing,like you see when London was getting bombed during the war,it was bad,we saw the building explode on to the fire engine,and the fireman on the ladders fall into the fire,it was a sad night, everywhere,in glasgow that night,I was only 9years old at the time,Im 58,now and have never forgot those brave men on that night,and feel a plague should be placed at Cheapside Street, in memory of the 19 souls that died,that night,and there families, J.F.Rochford,22/08/09

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.