Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kay Street Gunman.....old Springburn.., Does anyone remember the date?
Mahegradon
post 25th Jul 2007, 08:17pm
Post #31

Visitor
Member No.: 4,827
I remember the 'Gunman Griffiths' episode well. I was working at St. George's Cross at the time.
A customer had came in and said "There's a guy shootin' people alang Great Western Road!" Ma boss, being a kind & thoughtful employer, says, "Brian. You go and see whits happinin'!" Of course I was halfway out the door before he'd finished speaking.
About 3 or 4 streets along the road on the right hand side there was this guy at an attic window, taking pot-shots at anything that moved, including me. I dived up the nearest close. Thank God fur closes eh? Many an unpleasant incident has been avoided by people jukin' up closes. Couldn't do it nowadays of course.
The polis had a line of Landrovers parked and everybody took cover behind them. The polis, not being armed in those days could only hide like the rest of us, until a warrant was sought for the use of firearms.
Meanwhile Griffiths had made his escape and highjacked a car and was driven to the pub.
He then stole a lorry and ended up trapped in Kay Street, a cul de sac he wouldn't have known about.
He then locked himself in the tenement house overlooking the swing park.
It was then that the polis decided to act and he was shot throught the letterbox.
Couldnae happen tae a nicer guy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mahegradon
post 13th Nov 2007, 08:08pm
Post #32

Visitor
Member No.: 4,827
QUOTE (steved @ 22nd Apr 2005, 07:41 PM) *
laugh.gif Hi..trying to research the incident when police chased a gunman through Springburn, then shot him in Kay Street. Someone has written elswhere in these forums it was mid sixties..i was sure It was later than this. I intend to check the dailies on it, but was hoping to try to narrow down the date a bit first. Can anyone help?
thanks
steve

1969! I seem to remember it was a few days before the Moon landing!
Try the Daily Record Book of Front Pages, last seen in Woodside Library.

+Quote Post
stevedr
post 13th Nov 2007, 08:41pm
Post #33

Settling In
Member No.: 5,103
QUOTE (Mahegradon @ 13th Nov 2007, 08:25 PM) *
1969! I seem to remember it was a few days before the Moon landing!
Try the Daily Record Book of Front Pages, last seen in Woodside Library.

Hi I inteviewed a woman for my Springburn project last year who was living at the chip shop side of Kay street at the time and she was adamant that the shooting was not through the letterbox. She claimed the door was open at the time he was gunned down. Fact or fiction? No idea..i was only seven and living in Gourlay Street at the time.

It may be tempting to dismiss her account as waffle, but when you think about it..the first time guns used by cops in Springburn..awards for bravery etc..the media hungry for heroes ...its not to say some detail was exaggerated for dramatic effect...its happened before.

+Quote Post
*maretin cullen*
post 1st Jan 2009, 03:26pm
Post #34

hi i was born 113 wellfield st martin cullen is my name i remember the old bomb shelters in the backs i was born there 1957 also we moved when buildings came down

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 1st Jan 2009, 11:35pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (maretin cullen @ 1st Jan 2009, 08:25am) *
hi i was born 113 wellfield st martin cullen is my name i remember the old bomb shelters in the backs i was born there 1957 also we moved when buildings came down

Hi,I was born at 103 Wellfield,a wee bit before your time,Welcome.

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 2nd Jan 2009, 06:10am
Post #36

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
I remember this incident, as I grew up in the area, but me and my family were on holiday in Ardrossan when it happened, which was just as well, because the day it happened, a Tuesday, I think, my mum used to go into Springburn to do some shopping and catch up with her friends. I remember she was worried sick in case anything had happened to any of them, and none of them bar one had a telephone. Once she heard the news she had to call and find out if everyone was ok, and thankfully they were. I was only an 8 year old kid, but even at that age I was shocked to think that someone could come in to my community and start shooting indiscriminately at folk. Even now I shudder to think what could have happened.

+Quote Post
flam
post 2nd Jan 2009, 12:05pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi All If my memory serves me well ,Paddy Meehan and James Griffiths where accused of murdering an Ayrshire person, but with Griffiths being shot dead,Meehan I believe did some years in prison,and was rightfully re-imbursed financially for it. One of the men who really did the murder,murdered his partner in crime a few years after the shooting, the mans body was found half buried in a backgreen in Springburn, the man who took part in the murder swore on his death bed that it was him who murdered the Ayrshire person and his partner The name that sticks in my mind is Tank McGuinness ( Apologies if I am wrong ) Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 3rd Jan 2009, 12:56pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Get me Beltrami

PADDY MEEHAN

SAFE cracker Meehan had been jailed for life in 1969 after being convicted of murdering Rachel Ross, 72, during a robbery at her Ayr home.

William "Tank" McGuinness, who was also a client of Joe, told the lawyer that he was Rachel's killer.

The lawyer was bound by client confidentiality until McGuinness died after being attacked in Glasgow in 1976.

Joe asked Tank's family for permission to reveal what he knew.

It was given - and after spending seven years in jail, Meehan was freed and was given 60,000 compensation.

from

The Sunday Mail

+Quote Post
flam
post 3rd Jan 2009, 10:11pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Dexter thanks for that information , I was not too sure..Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
*littlelady*
post 19th Jan 2009, 10:15pm
Post #40

QUOTE (stevedr @ 13th Nov 2007, 08:40pm) *
Hi I inteviewed a woman for my Springburn project last year who was living at the chip shop side of Kay street at the time and she was adamant that the shooting was not through the letterbox. She claimed the door was open at the time he was gunned down. Fact or fiction? No idea..i was only seven and living in Gourlay Street at the time.

It may be tempting to dismiss her account as waffle, but when you think about it..the first time guns used by cops in Springburn..awards for bravery etc..the media hungry for heroes ...its not to say some detail was exaggerated for dramatic effect...its happened before.

HELLO - MY UNCLE WAS THE COP WHO SHOT HIM, AND IT WAS THROUGH A LETTER BOX.
IF THE DOOR HAD BEEN OPEN HE WOULD HAVE DIED.
HE WAS NEVER A GUY FOR EXAGERTION, AND EVEN HE SAID IT WAS A FLUKE.
HE GOT TO KEEP THE GUN WHEN HE RETIRED AND KEPT IT IN A BOX AT HIS HOME ON THE ISLE OF SKYE UNTIL HE DIED AGED 83.

+Quote Post
flam
post 19th Jan 2009, 11:02pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Guest Littlelady What a story,Welcome to the boards Do you come from the North of Glasgow..Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 20th Jan 2009, 03:51am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Good story Guestlittle lady,stevedr has his own wee Springburn site---we that go on that site would be interested in your story being as it is a historical sight to keep the "Old" Springburn alive (wellfield)---- The old newspaper clipping is on the site
http://www.oldspringburn.wetpaint.com

+Quote Post
**tam**
post 15th May 2009, 03:03pm
Post #43

QUOTE (hudggy @ 29th Sep 2005, 05:11pm) *
Hi,
The guy who was shot in Springburn in the sixties after he was chase about the city. He shot someone in McLauchlans Pub just down from the Astoria at Society Row and Possil Rd. He was then chased to Springburn he was the guy I cannot remember his name at present. He was the one who was charged with Paddy Meechan for the killings in Ayr which Meechan eventually was released after he got jailed for it and got a pardon.

Hudggy

+Quote Post
**Tam**
post 15th May 2009, 03:07pm
Post #44

Hi there,
i am doing a piece of research on gang related murders in Glasgow in the 70's. Can anyone remember who the man was that was stabbed to death in Springburn Rd around August 1973. His first name was Khalid and who was charged for his murder and the outcome of this. Any background info around the issues would be helpful.
Cheers
Tam

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 26th May 2009, 10:06pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Well off topic here: excuse me.

FLAM: Liked that picture #37....the statue, centre right, What's he got in his hands ?

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.