Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kay Street Gunman.....old Springburn.., Does anyone remember the date?
jimmie
post 5th Jun 2007, 10:13am
Post #16

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 4,348
how yae doin margret? margret a stayed up the bagrayhill a went tae colston the school used tae use kay st i remembber the shooting well anfortunately nae photos of kay st but a remember it well the wee chippy at the end of the st we used tae get a roll on fritter when we came oot FREEZIN laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 5th Jun 2007, 03:33pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
biggrin.gif aye a mind it was the wee santis chippie ,for me I loved the spam fritters,santis also had a larger chippie further up the road called the newyorker chippie owned by santis brothers it had a wee restraunt at the side with a wagon wheel oan the wall.

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
*Guest championi26 **
post 5th Jun 2007, 03:37pm
Post #18

I Loved a wee cup of mushy peas at Santis....there still is a Santis in Springburn next to the Bells pub accross from the Railway station..

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 5th Jun 2007, 03:39pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
laugh.gif cheers championi al try it oot when hame for the big meet next year mate

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 6th Jun 2007, 03:48am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
Hey Lindamac, can you remember the name of the Street that Santis was on.!! After you pass The Avenue the Tram stop was outside the Church, Queenshill St ,I think ,then it was Curleys or Liptons Then I think Hendersons Butchers , a wet fish shop, and maybe a bank or pub. Then again I think Blenheim St, Santis was on that Street.It was like half a street with steps leading down to Barcable ST., & Atlas St., Mr. Santi handled the Till, I seem to remember 3 Sons and a daughter. One Son Valle or Valli was a cyclist as Iwas at the time. He rode for the .... Dam! Cant remember if it was the Glasgow Wheelers or a Saint something Club, I was with the Thistle Road Club, so I`d see him quite often. I did eat at the other shop next to Bells. Very Good. I`m not sure who was cooking as he was busy and I didn`t want to Bother him.After twenty odd years I couldn`t recognize Which bro., he was. Maybe you could straighten out my feeble memory unsure.gif

+Quote Post
flam
post 6th Jun 2007, 02:33pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi All .I must admit I thought the fatal shooting of the old gentleman was in Ross's pub situated at the corner of Society Row and Possil Road, it just goes to show you how the brain disfunctions the older you get..Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 6th Jun 2007, 03:33pm
Post #22

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
Hi flim,
That is the pub I said it was I thought at the time it was McLaughlin's my mind ani't what it used to be. Bye the way I was up your way the other week at my Aunt Isa's across the street from you.

Regards Hudggy

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
flam
post 7th Jun 2007, 01:41pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Hudgy..When i was giving John and Isa a run down to McConnells corner, they told me they had a visitor and i realised it was yourself after giving me some clues..Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
aaron king
post 7th Jun 2007, 02:12pm
Post #24

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,776
QUOTE (hudggy @ 6th Jun 2007, 04:50 PM) *
Hi flim,
That is the pub I said it was I thought at the time it was McLaughlin's my mind ani't what it used to be. Bye the way I was up your way the other week at my Aunt Isa's across the street from you.

Regards Hudggy

hi hudgy the name was Ross,s and it was the scene of the fatal shooting ,the name above the pub was David ross and co or son,but the sign hanging above the pub door was mclauchlans beer .it was at the top of society row,i have a pic taken of the pub at the time of the shooting,it clearly says the names i mentioned,i have put it in here but it does not show too clearly,.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 7th Jun 2007, 02:18pm
Post #25

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
Hi aaron king,

I used to drink in it must have been the beer that made me think it was McLauchlan's, I also used to be a bouncer in the Astoria so I used to sneek down at night for a we dram when it was quite in the hall.

Regards Hudggy

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
aaron king
post 7th Jun 2007, 02:19pm
Post #26

Super City Key Holder
I have to add that the pic was not at the time of the shooting because the tramcars wer well away by that time 1969,the pic i have is very clear with the names i mentioned of the pub,

+Quote Post
aaron king
post 7th Jun 2007, 02:24pm
Post #27

Super City Key Holder
hi hudgy i worked in John Barrys at the back of where the garage is now across from the pub and we heard the bang ,but did not realise it was a shotgun also i remember it well cos it was my birthday 15th july,cheers pal

+Quote Post
valleyboy38
post 7th Jun 2007, 07:54pm
Post #28

Lord Provost
Member No.: 219
your right A King it was Ross's bar and my mates uncle was charghand of the pub and he was commended by the police his name was James Connelly

+Quote Post
elky barr
post 20th Jun 2007, 08:09pm
Post #29

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,033
Remember it well we were standing on the corner wellfield st and springburn road outside the bank

+Quote Post
*perfume*
post 1st Jul 2007, 04:16pm
Post #30

QUOTE (Guest mARGARET * @ 5th Jun 2007, 01:44 AM) *
I used to live at 19 Kay Steet Springburn next to the baths, my parents were Elizabeth and George Gormanly, who had at that time 6 kids, anyone have any memories of pics plz contact me plz, thanks Margaret rolleyes.gif

Hello margaret i used to stay in wellfield st springburn was born there in 1959 left 1973 cos our houses were being pulled down (have i have fond memories of springburn , kay st the swimming baths lol i still cant swim (.the smell of the chippie coming out the rolls n fritters the smelll of the chippie second too none) santis chippie the wee broken biscuit shop across the road benny the wee man who sold the most gorgeous ribbons the rag n bone man aw my ma sur eloast a lot of her good sheets till she foound out i was exchangin them for ballons lol god bless her and my dad .i rember sellyns the shop my parents had an account there lol i was sure well dressed outtas there i rember playin midgy rakin loved it lol chasing the rats with my brothers playing moatsy as wee called it skittin big pennies in 3 moats n clinkin them together the big polis box at top of weelfield st we calle dit the tardis box used to fone the polis a lot sure got a clip in the lug 4 that lol playin chap doors n run away tyin 2 doors together loved it so many fond memories of springburn my parents were joseph and violet stevenson and stayed 147 wellfield st i have 2 brother david wiliam big sister jean and im the baby elephant as my dad called me mum n dad passed away within a year of each other and was only 2 years ago god bless them they sure taught me how to keep my chin up in those hard day thye taught me great values but i was a tomboy n loved doin all the things i shouldnt have lol walkin the atlas wall aw memories of springburn i still see the walls or the highbacks we used to climb to take us to school take care margaret love to u and your family from me and mine here my email if u like perfume _the_dj_room_10@yahoo.com

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.