Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kay Street Gunman.....old Springburn.., Does anyone remember the date?
steved
post 22nd Apr 2005, 07:24pm
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 1,905
laugh.gif Hi..trying to research the incident when police chased a gunman through Springburn, then shot him in Kay Street. Someone has written elswhere in these forums it was mid sixties..i was sure It was later than this. I intend to check the dailies on it, but was hoping to try to narrow down the date a bit first. Can anyone help?
thanks
steve
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
d.c.
post 22nd Apr 2005, 08:09pm
Post #2

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 19
According to this website, it was July 1969:

http://gphs1800.tripod.com/Last30Yrs.html

DC

+Quote Post
steved
post 22nd Apr 2005, 08:26pm
Post #3

Settling In
Member No.: 1,905
That''ll do me DC .thanks a mill....steve

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 29th Sep 2005, 04:42pm
Post #4

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
Hi,
The guy who was shot in Springburn in the sixties after he was chase about the city. He shot someone in McLauchlans Pub just down from the Astoria at Society Row and Possil Rd. He was then chased to Springburn he was the guy I cannot remember his name at present. He was the one who was charged with Paddy Meechan for the killings in Ayr which Meechan eventually was released after he got jailed for it and got a pardon.

Hudggy

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
RonD
post 12th Jan 2006, 03:11am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
The only thing I remember about Kay street was the public baths!!!!!

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
lizeeloo
post 17th Jun 2006, 12:02am
Post #6

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,209
The only thing I remember about Kay St is that my ex hubby lived there laugh.gif

--------------------
lizee

+Quote Post
AndyR1
post 19th Sep 2006, 04:57pm
Post #7

Visitor
Member No.: 3,402
the Guys name was Jimmy Griffiths and it happend in July 1969 the pub was called the Round Toll Bar, Griffiths was later chased and went to ground in a flat in Kay street, he was shot by the police through the letter box of the front door and killed.

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 19th Sep 2006, 05:27pm
Post #8

Lord Provost
Sorry to disagree with you AndyR1 but the pub was McLaughlins at the corner of Society Row and Possil Rd. The Round Toll bar was between Raglan St and St Georges rd the reason I know McLauchlins was like my local at the time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AndyR1
post 24th Sep 2006, 02:29pm
Post #9

Visitor
Well it was a long time ago, for me anyhow lol but I always thought it was the old toll bar {I stand corrected } as I was just a kid when this happened I couldnt argue with you on that if it was your local.

+Quote Post
peter-f
post 24th Sep 2006, 02:40pm
Post #10

Resident
Member No.: 3,035
It was along time ago, my auntys pal got shot in the leg by that mad man, she still has a limp because of it. I don't remember it, because I am so young and everthing biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
greenrizla
post 18th Nov 2006, 01:32pm
Post #11

Visitor
Member No.: 2,695
An extract from the Evening Times - The Kay Street Siege - 15 July 1969

Five plain-clothes officers went to an attic flat in Kelvinbridge to interview James Griffiths, 34, in connection with the murder (Rachel Ross). They were unable to gain entry, and Griffiths, who was said to be pathologically afraid of prison, began shooting, injuring one policeman and firing at anyone who appeared in the street. Still shooting, he raced to a car in Great Western Road, and wounded a number of people. Retrieving a cartridge belt from the boot, he returned to the flat, where the siege continued. By now, the police had bulletproof shields, and had been joined by a marksman with a highpowered rifle. But just as they were preparing to use tear-gas, Griffiths escaped, commandeered a car at gunpoint, and took police on a three-mile pursuit to Possil.

Griffiths ran into the Round Toll Bar, where he fired some more shots, asked for a drink, changed his mind, then made off in a stolen lorry, before ending up in a tenement flat in Springburn痴 Kay Street. There, he fired into a children痴 playground and exchanged gunfire with police, his bullets ricocheting wildly and forcing local people to cower on shop floors. It fell to Chief Superintendent Calum Finlayson and Detective Sergeant Ian Smith, both armed with revolvers, to end the siege. Finlayson later recalled: 的t was a warm day and I was perspiring and excited but I was not afraid. 的 knew that Griffiths had a rifle and sawn-off shotgun and I knew the devastating effect of the latter. 的 said, 選f he gets us on the stairhead he値l blow our heads off.

Finlayson opened the letterbox and could hear Griffiths shooting. Then he noticed the gunman痴 shadow. Finlayson decided to fire and try to disarm him. He raised the revolver to the letter-box and took aim at the man痴 shoulder. He fired, but then heard Griffiths shoot back at the door. The officers feared their bullet had missed, but it hadn稚 it had found its way from Griffiths shoulder to his heart.

It was the first time that a wanted man had been shot by Scottish police. In all, Griffiths had fired more than 100 shots, injuring 13 people. One, a newsvendor, died of his injuries. The following day痴 coverage of the siege contrasted with the optimistic stories about the launch of Apollo 11, which was taking Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins to the moon.

Paddy Meehan was later jailed for life for the Ross murder. But he spent his time in prison in solitary confinement, loudly protesting his innocence,

Link Expired.

This post has been edited by GG: 7th Jan 2007, 07:32pm

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 18th Nov 2006, 02:38pm
Post #12

Lord Provost
Looks like you were correct AndyR1 apoligise he did go into the Round Toll Bar. He must have went from there to McLaughlins.

Hudggy
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
AndyR1
post 18th Nov 2006, 06:06pm
Post #13

Visitor
wink.gif no problem hudggy.

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 21st Nov 2006, 09:47pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Meehan was the victim of a miscarriage of justice over the murder of Rachel Ross during a housebreaking in Ayr. Even after the actual murderers confessed, it took a book by Ludovick Kennedy to have the case reopened and a Royal Pardon granted. He had served seven years.

+Quote Post
*Guest mARGARET **
post 5th Jun 2007, 01:27am
Post #15

I used to live at 19 Kay Steet Springburn next to the baths, my parents were Elizabeth and George Gormanly, who had at that time 6 kids, anyone have any memories of pics plz contact me plz, thanks Margaret rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.