Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nurses Face Sack Over Parking Fines, Get-tough policy from health board
droschke7
post 24th Jul 2012, 09:34am
Post #76

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 24th Jul 2012, 03:39am) *
A simple solution, to the motorised population.

On yer bikes, like the ones that have pedals.

My old mate, Rabba the Hutt is here to assist.

[attachment=38618:jabba_the_hut.jpg]

OMG where did you get that photo of the Ex Wife?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 24th Jul 2012, 11:52am
Post #77

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
It isn't a case of paying for parking, you cant. It is free for up to 4 hours then you must leave the hospital grounds(not just move the car), there are always loads of empty permit only spaces, except when the papers run stories about parking at hospitals.
Workers who park in the area near the hospital are having the cars vandalised, by what i can only assume are furious residents. Others streets near the southern are to have double yellow lines painted on them. If they cant park in the hospital or even near it how are they meant to get to and fro to work in the early or late shifts.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
A Mackinnon
post 3rd Sep 2012, 02:02pm
Post #78

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,012
The UK is awash with "Yellow Lines". What I want to know is who first suggested this method of parking control (instead of signs like most of the rest of the world) and did he/she have shares in the paint company that supplies all the paint????

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 4th Sep 2012, 11:46am
Post #79

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Attached Image

Wiki

Double yellow lines were first used in Yorkshire by George Bamber (1822-1903), a farmer of Masham, North Yorkshire. The design of the two yellow lines came from the markings used by Bamber to identify his sheep, and they were originally used as 'boundary markers' to protect his land, He also used the 'two yellow lines' to identify the access routes to his farm on the road, which on market days were sometimes clogged up with carts from surrounding villagers who were attending the regular markets.

*** The Mayor of Masham (Mr Nesbit) realised the potential and implemented this idea to restrict access to Masham market square on Market days, offenders who left any obstructions where the double yellow lines were painted were fined 4d of which George Bamber received 10%, an idea soon adopted by the surrounding villages, The shrewd George Bamber ensured that his 10% received from the Masham fines was also applicable to other villages

Can't help you with the paint - Johnson's??? lol

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
A Mackinnon
post 4th Sep 2012, 12:00pm
Post #80

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,012
Thanks Wee Davy, interesting. I think your photo says it all rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 4th Sep 2012, 12:04pm
Post #81

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (A Mackinnon @ 3rd Sep 2012, 04:17pm) *
The UK is awash with "Yellow Lines". What I want to know is who first suggested this method of parking control (instead of signs like most of the rest of the world) and did he/she have shares in the paint company that supplies all the paint????

Where I am in Spain, we have yellow painted kerbs to denote no-parking, as well as yellow box markings on the road for restricted areas.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Thomas
post 4th Sep 2012, 06:03pm
Post #82

City Key Holder
Member No.: 384
QUOTE (droschke7 @ 24th Jul 2012, 11:49am) *
OMG where did you get that photo of the Ex Wife?

You're either a liar or a bigamist - that's my current wife!

--------------------
Exaltabo Te Domine

I will magnify thee O God

+Quote Post
GG
post 7th Sep 2013, 10:35am
Post #83

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
A letter to the Evening Times last night from a disgusted healthcare worker on how Glasgow City Council refuses point blank to show any compassion for their money-grabbing parking fines policy.

No kindness

I echo recent disgust with Glasgow City Council's approach to parking fines. They are committed to profiteering, and have not an ounce of compassion.

As a healthcare worker I visit people with dementia in their homes. On a recent visit which I expected to be routine I paid for 40 minutes parking. Unfortunately I was faced with an individual in distress, and was 12 minutes late returning to my car.

The parking attendant had just issued the ticket when I arrived. I thought I might receive an understanding approach and I submitted a letter explaining.

All I got was a reply saying the ticket was correctly issued. I was not disputing that, but was hoping for an act of kindness. The type I showed in staying with a distressed individual.

S M Renfrew

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 7th Sep 2013, 10:46am
Post #84

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
I hope the organisaiton s/he works for paid the parking ticket.
To expect compassion from any parking people is rather hopeful.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 7th Sep 2013, 11:02am
Post #85

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
GG as I constable part of my duty was issuing parking tickets and it was something I can honestly say I done as a last resort.Not so some of my colleagues,ones who were tossed out the SS for cruelty.
I often found a quiet(or sometimes blunt) word of advice to a motorist re errant parking done the trick and very rarely would I see the car parked out of order on my beat.
Sadly parking is now big,nay mega business,Police rarely get involved and its now down to private companies who are financially and target driven.Dont expect any discretion or compassion from any of the knuckle draggers employed by them either.
I sent a letter to GDC asking why I had to pay to park on Great Western Rd and not Dumbarton Road and the reply,I kid you not would have baffled even the best Phildelphia lawyer.
This lady treating the patient is a prime example of the heartlessness involved.

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 7th Sep 2013, 11:26am
Post #86

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
There has to be some sort of price cap. These private firms are more than likely run by gangsters.
I know one firm who are gangsters,
But if you get a parking ticket there are ways to get off it.
Here is a web page with a few tips.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/ar...ing-ticket.html

You will find that most parking bays are painted wrong or marked wrong so it is worth appealing.

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
Harrymc
post 7th Sep 2013, 11:55am
Post #87

Special Visitor
Member No.: 5,658
Whilst not disputing the need for regulation,parking tickets,along with speed cameras,have become a money machine for councils throughout the UK.
The unintended consequences of the over zealous enfocement of parking tickets has for one thing,played no small part in the decline of Britains High St shops,
A classic example of the motivation driving the war against the motorist has been the sight of wardens,some drafted in from other areas,issuing tickets on vehicles parked alongside waste land where houses have been demolished near football stadia,on matchdays.In this area (Merseyside) it has been common for a number of years in the vicinity of Anfield where there has been a huge ongoing regeneration program over several years.I daresay it happens elsewhere as well.A license to print money if ever there was one.

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 7th Sep 2013, 05:27pm
Post #88

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
It's a huge money spinner for the council. Even the place you pay the fine is called something like 'the parking shop'. Yes it does have double yellows outside.
I once appealed a fine along the lines of confusing road markings in Bath Street. I was surprised to win my case. They haven't changed the markings or signage though.
I've got one to pay to a private company at the moment. I went 9 minutes over the 2 hour parking limit at Govan shopping centre. I knew nothing of it until I got a photo of my licence plate in the post. Bah!
My pal works in the southern general. He has to stop what he's doing to go and move his car every 4 hours.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 7th Sep 2013, 06:00pm
Post #89

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545

Private parking firms cant issue fines, only police and council appointed wardens can do that. What they try to hit you with is a 'charge' dressed up as a fine so people pay. They have no legal standing because they can only charge losses or costs, and as it's a free car park there is no loss of revenue.

Photos of number plates are just that, it doesn't prove who drove the car and you are under no obligation to let them know. The warning letters will eventually stop, you can just ignore them, and i got that from legal advice:D

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 7th Sep 2013, 06:27pm
Post #90

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
John, I do hope you're right. I have had the bill in for about 4 weeks now. If they persist I'll refer them to my legal advisor..john mcn. laugh.gif cheers

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.