Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nurses Face Sack Over Parking Fines, Get-tough policy from health board
wee davy
post 5th Apr 2012, 11:23am
Post #61

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
QUOTE (zascot @ 2nd Apr 2012, 06:55am) *
Ok Sir lets work this out. your a consultant and earn 6K a month, ok you can park at work fir nuthin. Ok your a nurse and earn 1K a month, oh that entitles you tae pay fer parkin. sounds arse about face tae me.

I'd like to meet the consultant who's on THAT kind of pittance! lol GP's don't get out of bed for any less than 100k a year these days.
(By the same token after probation, MOST nurses are on a LOT more than 1/2 the average wage)

The truth is, its usually PATIENTS who you find are on that sort of money!!!

As I've said before - there is more chance of me being the first man on Mars, than a nurse being sacked for a parking offence.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 26th Apr 2012, 07:54am
Post #62

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
And there are other staff on much more than nurses:
Spin Doctors Cost NHS 2.6M

The NHS in Scotland paid their spin doctors pounds 2.6million last year, new figures show.

Critics yesterday said the money could be better spent on caring for patients.

[...] NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, Scotland's biggest health board, spent just over pounds 300,000 on their 7.5 PR positions.

The basic salary of the most senior spin doctor for the board was between pounds 64,104 and pounds 87,366 - but this didn't include pension contributions, social security and other employer costs.

The average qualified nurse is paid about pounds 33,000. ...

Wonder if they pay for their own parking?

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 25th Jun 2012, 03:26pm
Post #63

The Charges concerned (not fines) are not legally enforceable in Scotland. The parking companies use threats and letters unsigned by any registered lawyer to scare people into paying.

If the NHS forces people to pay these fines under threat of internal action then they are interfering with a dispute that should be dealt with in a civil court. I wouldn't like to think that employment tribunals would sanction such a thing.

These charges come under contract law and a company can only claim liquidated losses from an individual. Liquidated losses here = 0.

I can see some conspiracy theories arising form this situation.

+Quote Post
GG
post 3rd Jul 2012, 05:55pm
Post #64

Administrator
Group Icon
From the Evening Times yesterday:
Health chiefs in Glasgow have been urged to open up a near empty new car park to nursing staff who face disciplinary action for parking elsewhere.

Staff without parking permits are hit with 40 fines by private firm CP Plus if they go over a four-hour parking limit at the Southern General which is undergoing major reconstruction work.

A new car park, the first of four being created for the new 842million hospital, has opened but most of its spaces are for permit holders only and most staff do not qualify.

Does anyone think that high-paid bosses at NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde will have a problem finding a free parking space?

See also, from yesterday, a story about NHS quango bosses:

NHS staff drive fleet of taxpayer-funded luxury cars
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthne...uxury-cars.html

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 3rd Jul 2012, 06:02pm
Post #65

Administrator
Group Icon
Reported yesterday, also: Nurse Lorraine Bell, 53, of Clydebank, is facing NHS disciplinary action over a 40 ticket from the city s Western Infirmary.

Lorraine said:
"I m sure the public would rather I d give my full attention to making sure patients stay alive in theatre than worrying about where I ve parked my car."

I think it's fair to say that it's not just about getting the sack, but about a management attitude to people who work to make the lives of others better. I don't think nurses should be subjected to the psychological threat of dismissal, regardless of whether that threat is ever actually carried out to its conclusion by a costly disciplinary process.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 3rd Jul 2012, 06:12pm
Post #66

Mega City Key Holder
Does it not depend on exactly what the 'offence' was? Do we know, Martin?

I mean, if poor parking may have contributed to an emergency vehicle not being able to deliver its 'cargo',... would this not be subject to disciplinary procedure? At least a slapped wrist, surely.

(PS I know about the difficulties of parking at the Western)

The devil is in the detail - and Lorraine clearly thinks she can park wherever she jolly well pleases.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 3rd Jul 2012, 06:20pm
Post #67

Administrator
Group Icon
Hi Davy,

Good question! My understanding is that the fine from a private, profit-making company was imposed because the nurse was parked in a parking bay which is reserved for 'paying customers' only. There is no mention of any blocking of access or dangerous parking. Please see the link to the Daily Record story from last month for more information:

Nurse takes defiant stand against hospital parking charges
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish...86908-23899870/

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 3rd Jul 2012, 06:48pm
Post #68

Mega City Key Holder
Greater Glasgow & Clyde NHS issued 3409 parking permits for 2888 staff spaces – 873 went to nurses, 933 to doctors, 499 to physios and 1040 to non-medics

These figures suggest to me there is an element of choice, here.

From your sources, this leads me to believe she doesn't pay for a parking permit, when required for her to do her job. I may be wrong, but I suspect she is making her 'little stand' against parking charges.

A lot of hospitals have the same policy throughout the NHS. Sadly there are simply not enough spaces - and never have been.
We have a similar problem at James Cook University Hospital.
(Although I haven't heard of anyone being disciplined, I'm sure this WILL have happened from time to time).

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 3rd Jul 2012, 08:01pm
Post #69

Administrator
Group Icon
Thanks, Davy, interesting figures, however...

Those statistics appear to be for the whole of Greater Glasgow & Clyde NHS*. According to the NHS GGCV website, some 44,000 staff are employed across the area which they serve. That means that about only 1-in-15 staff members are allocated a permit – the rest are faced with paying a private company to park on the premises or going off-site (public transport is a limited option due to the nature of working hours).

Unfortunately, in most cases, the problem is not the limited availability of parking space. If we take the Glasgow Royal Infirmary as an example, where parking is provided by the private company APCOA Services Group, spaces in the hospital car park are advertised openly to visitors to the city. On the group's website, it claims that the GRI hospital car park is convenient for the following local points of interest:
  • Glasgow City Centre
  • Glasgow Cathedral
  • Royal Concert Hall
  • Buchanan Galleries Shopping Centre
Which in itself begs the question, should revellers be using the same car park as families of sick and dying patients in the hospital?

http://www.apcoa.co.uk/carparks/glasgow-royal-infirmary

--
* I am unable to verify whether the figures in the article relate to permits issued at the Western, or are across the entire estate. Statistics on permits issued by NHSGGCV are difficult to find. Obviously, the newspaper reporter should have sought clarification on the numbers before publishing the figures provided.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 3rd Jul 2012, 09:41pm
Post #70

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Wee Davy, I attend Gartnavel Hospital on a regular basis and have had various conversations with staff members who say they can't get permits as they are all allocated to more senior members of staff, some of whom dont have to pay because they work over 2 hospitals and have 2 free parking spaces. If thats true, where's the fairness in that? Mary

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 3rd Jul 2012, 10:18pm
Post #71

Mega City Key Holder
hmm Food for thought there GG.
I have to admit I didn't expect you to come back with THOSE details!

YOUR figures do suggest a TOTALLY different picture, overall, however in the case of staff being allocated insufficient passes - this doesn't reflect a LACK of them - but in fact, a conscious decision NOT to PURCHASE them?

I'm not saying its right ANY staff should have to pay - not at all.
If there ARE sufficient parking spaces available - then clearly staff ought to be allocated them. Not 'offered up' for the convenience of tourists et al.

Mary - I 'attended' Blackpool Victoria quite a lot, a while back. Many nurses (whom I have the utmost respect for), used to tell me similar sob stories.
Then I found out they had a CHOICE of whether or not to pay for permits.
The TRUTH was (and I don't blame them), they wanted to keep their coin firmly in their pockets!
In answer to your question, though - no, its NOT fair - but then it mirrors life in that regard. I wish there were free passes for ALL of them - but the days seem to be long gone, where we done things like that sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 11th Jul 2012, 06:20pm
Post #72

A wee bit of information:

Many permits are allocated to senior staff who work across two or more sites, to allow them to travel between places of work during the lunch hour, or if during the shift, in the shortest possible time. Arguably, this is quite reasonable, as the roles these staff members perform is often quite time-pressured, for example a list of ultrasound scans on outpatients, or even a theatre list of operations. In these circumstances, parking permits are justified.

It used to be that staff would simply ignore all correspondence from CP plus, but it would now seem that GGC are using the staff discipline route to scare staff into not parking. I personally can't see any defence union (nursing, medical or otherwise) allowing the trust to try to sack an employee over parking. Also, I think GGC are trying to avoid accusations of forcing payment of fees to CP plus by saying that they will not be issuing fines to staff members.

It remains to be seen what happens with this. I can see it getting ugly. I can't see GGC disciplining/suspending/sacking doctors or managers, so they are picking on nurses and auxiliaries as they are not as well represented by unions with legal backing. Perhaps there will be demonstrations, more media attention, or even industrial action.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 11th Jul 2012, 09:10pm
Post #73

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Point taken but it still doesn't make it right. Why should nursing staff have to stop caring for seriously ill patients to return to a carpark to feed a meter or to move their car. I appreciate that someone working over 2 sites could be working on time sensitive cases but nursing is just as time sensitive.

How would you feel if a relative who needed help going to the bathroom suffered the indignity of soiling themselves because a nurse had to leave the ward for something as unimportant as feeding a parking meter. I know I would be furious.

Hopefully it wont come to industrial action but who could blame them if they did. Mary

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 24th Jul 2012, 01:24am
Post #74

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
A simple solution, to the motorised population.

On yer bikes, like the ones that have pedals.

My old mate, Rabba the Hutt is here to assist.

Attached Image

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 24th Jul 2012, 01:40am
Post #75

Mega City Key Holder
You don't look so good, Rabbie.
I would book myself in to the nearest A & E if you can find one, mate! lol

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.