Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glaswegians To Get Mickey Mouse Lessons, Charm school for Commonwealth Games
mlconnelly
post 4th Jun 2012, 08:49pm
Post #46

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
This is all true but do you honestly think the people who are interviewing applicants for jobs are going to give them to someone who speaks like a ned. I dont thinks so, so therefore the lessons on how to meet and greet are totally irrelevant. If the right people are employed for the job then our visitors will receive a right warm welcome regardless of our accent. Mary
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elaine24
post 4th Jun 2012, 09:43pm
Post #47

Settling In
Member No.: 5,706
Business in Glasgow/Scotland is telling us that candidates presented for inerview are unemployable. In the service industry - particularly hospitality, eye contact and customer first skills are mandatory. We cannot get enough native young people with these skills. Surely anything that projects Glasgow and its population in a positive light is to be recommended. We want the world as well as the commonwealth to see us as a progressive city with a fantastic and talented workforce.
Also dont forget we have the Ryder cup in 2014 at Gleneagles. Big year for Scotland - lets showcase what we have here in our amazing country.

+Quote Post
elaine24
post 4th Jun 2012, 09:52pm
Post #48

Settling In
Member No.: 5,706
QUOTE (rumcdonald @ 4th Jun 2012, 04:38pm) *
Well said Isobel.

I too was the product of a housing scheme - but was taught to speak clearly and appropriately. ie there was perhaps the 'slang' we spoke in the playground (and I dont mean offensive words - just colloquilisms) and the lanquage we used in the classroom etc. What I am saying is that we knew which was correct and acceptable in which situation - because we were schooled by our parents and teachers. I am a proud Scot with an accent - probably softened by years overseas and in different parts of UK -but have live the majority of my life in Scotland and sometimes when I am in Glasgow, cannot understand what is being said! eg in the car was I had to ask 5 times what the chap was saying (no he was not Polish) and he was asking me if I wanted my wheels washed! This goes back to my previous post about unemployable youth - I mean if they cannot make themselves understood!! I am not confusing this with braw Scots and our traditional Scots words and dialect which we should always try to keep and be proud of.

+Quote Post
Elma
post 5th Jun 2012, 12:48am
Post #49

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
QUOTE (Isobel @ 4th Jun 2012, 04:14pm) *
I was raised in a housing scheme (Ruchazie) All our neighbours were working class folks like our selves.We had a Glasgow accent ,however it did not include,breed,naw,canny,waz, hoose ,I think you get the picture.

Last visit home I was blown away with the slang I was hearing in the city. Its sad really because Glasgow folks are friendly folks ,but many of the young ones have been brought up listing to all this slang and don't know any better.

Perhaps a few lessons at the primary level in school would help.Maybe a refresher at high school.You can have a nice Glasgow accent and still speak proper English.

Well said Isobel, after 40+ years in Canada I think I still have a Scots accent but I do not and never have spoken in a Glasgow or Scottish dialect. I use normal, Queen's english words and have had no problem being undertood anywhere in the world and I too, find it very difficult to read posts written in a Glasgow dialect.

+Quote Post
helen wallace
post 5th Jun 2012, 02:20am
Post #50

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,393
What a cheek, and lessons in Ediburgh only adds insult to injury. Glasgow is known as the friendly city, the language of friendship is universal.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 5th Jun 2012, 10:47am
Post #51

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
A one day Training Event will not change a Glasgow accent, but those attending the Course might be advised not to use glesga slang and slow down when speaking as we Scots are inclined to speak quick fast which makes it difficult for foreigners to understand what we are saying.

Like Isobel, I was never allowed to use glesga slang at home, our dad always corrected us and told us to speak properly.
No I don't have a posh voice as I grew up in the Cowcaddens & Barlanark, but would never think to call bread- bried, house-hoose or food- grub, but I do have a habit of saying, 'aye right' when agreeing or kidding with someone.laugh.gif

Our dad also grew up in the Cowcaddens and Hamiltonhill, so he did not have a posh voice either. smile.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
GG
post 5th Jun 2012, 11:24am
Post #52

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
One thing that occurred to me, and which the quango bosses in Edinburgh or Glasgow probably have not considered, is the amount of non-Glaswegians who now work in the customer-facing service industries in Glasgow, especially tourism-related. I was in Frankie and Benny's at the Fort last week, and almost all the waiting, serving and cooking staff were (I assume) Polish. Only the manager was not east European.

The Fort is located in Easterhouse, an area with huge youth unemployment problems, so there is no lack of potential staff living locally.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 5th Jun 2012, 01:10pm
Post #53

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
But GG, are the local youth willing to work at Franky and Benny's ?

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 5th Jun 2012, 02:36pm
Post #54

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (Guest @ 4th Jun 2012, 07:20pm) *
So many of you are missing the point. This isn't just about word choice or accent. It's about image. And there's nothing at all wrong with seeking improvement.

thumbup.gif

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 5th Jun 2012, 02:39pm
Post #55

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 5th Jun 2012, 02:25pm) *
But GG, are the local youth willing to work at Franky and Benny's ?

Probably not john and thats why the east Europeans get the jobs

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 5th Jun 2012, 03:37pm
Post #56

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
'Charm School fer wegians' - aye right!

I have to admit, I deliberately stayed out of this thread - knowing where it might lead.
As one of the 'guilty party' who oft use wegian parlez, I thought better of it.

Let me make it clear, I do it for no other reason than to provide some light heartedness to somewhat straight laced discussion. Also to 'trigger' dialect which has otherwise remained dormant, since leaving Glasgow in 1969.

I think the child in me, (still) likes to relate to fellow Glawegians. Therefore I will continue to use the language of 'the dunny' and the 'midden', with a genuine pride.

Dae ye get a free Mickey Mouse costume, wie this course?
If so - sign me up NOO!
In fact, I'll even DELIVER IT fur ye's LOL laugh.gif

wee davy

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 5th Jun 2012, 06:00pm
Post #57

I have travelled the world and now live in Canada and no matter where I went my Scottish accent was loved and I am and always will be a Glaswegian.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 5th Jun 2012, 06:29pm
Post #58

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (wee davy @ 5th Jun 2012, 04:52pm) *
I think the child in me, (still) likes to relate to fellow Glawegians. Therefore I will continue to use the language of 'the dunny' and the 'midden', with a genuine pride.

Gaun yersel wee man thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 6th Jun 2012, 12:31pm
Post #59

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
It does seem that we do tend to talk to fast, in fact when I learnt German the Germans asked me to slow down as I was talking to fast.

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 6th Jun 2012, 03:11pm
Post #60

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
So they are going to spend a quarter of a million quid on these lessons.... plus add in the same again in the fact that those public employees who attend will not be doing their jobs.... and all of a sudden you have a half million being spent on this nonsense that they will probably forget within a couple of days.

Now.... if you were to think about what kind of things visitors to the city actually do get upset and annoyed about does anyone really think it is the Glaswegian accent or a wee bit of patter?? No!! What really annoys tourists and everyone else is the state of the place.... spend that half million quid on cleaning the city centre up and making it more presentable and that will be far better than wasting money on some daft lessons. Outisde the Central Station would be a good place to start!!

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Nov 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.