Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Govan
*Guvin Wullie*
post 10th Mar 2014, 11:44pm
Post #46

QUOTE (Jim D @ 22nd May 2012, 12:36pm) *
I was born in Kintra Street, above Delaney's shop. As a child I went to the Summertown Road Nursery School, then to St Saviours School. The school had an annual trip doon the watter on the Caledonia(?), sailing from the Princes Dock. My granny stayed above Stewarts grocer shop at the corner of Neptune Street and Summertown Road. Diagonally opposit her was the Rag Store. As was already mentioned - the gas lamps in the streets and closes. If the mantle was out at the bottom of the close then you knew there was a ghostie man up that close. lol I also remember that me and my brothers all had crew cuts. We'd be coming home from school and the barber - Maurie, would pull us in for a haircut. He'd tell us to let my dad know and he would pay him at the weekend when he was in for his own haircut.

The family, including uncles, aunts and cousins, would to on a Tuesday night to the Swimming Baths at Clynder Street. The kids would go again at the weekend. Walking down Broomloan Road past the subway repair depot and the rear of Govan Police Office on my way to going to the minors at the Plaza on a Saturday morning to see Charlie Chan and Commander Cody and Flash Gordon.

Going to the wee tobacco shop, next to Kennedy's Pub, so that my old Irish Granny could by her snuff. Continueing on and walking past the Govan Goods Yard and having to wait while the Fairfield train pulled the carriages loaded with steel along Govan Road to the Yard.

Shopping with my granny in the "Golly" (Burleigh Street) then onto Langland Road and eventually arriving at Woolworths.

Going down to Water Row to watch the ferries or jumping on the passenger ferry on the way to the Kelvingrove Museum or the carnival at Kelvin Hall.

Well I remember the "rag Store" and my mother and father going there to get rid of all our unwanted clothes. My father brought back a very large and broad tie from India during the war.

It was turquoise blue silk with Paisley pattern embroidered in real silver thread. You could not wear it in Govan!!! Latter when Carnaby st. altered our perceptions on dress, i kicked myself for letting that tie go to the rag man. Also can still picture clearly in my mind the "Polis Station" Went to the minors in the plaza every Saturday and your Granny would have got her snuff from that we tobacconist in Burleigh st. jist a'hint the Brechin. I remember the opening and the building of Woolies on Langlands rd. an it wis a magnet for us weans. Went to Kelvin Ha' on the same ferry a a lived jist doon frae Wattur row. The Fairfield plate train was still pulled by a massive Clydsdale horse from the goods yaird to the main gate of Fairfields an still on rails to the plating shop. Did youse go tae St. Gerards an if so when?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Guvin Wullie*
post 15th Mar 2014, 01:15am
Post #47

QUOTE (Boydy @ 8th Mar 2014, 08:39pm) *
Does anyone remember the name of the photographers shop on Govan Road?

I remember a photographers on Govan rd. near the Lyceum, but I can't remember the names of but a few shops on Govan rd. Try other Govan sites that carry pictures of older Govan, many shop's names are visible in the old photos.

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 17th Apr 2014, 11:41am
Post #48

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
Clydeside women
Attached Image

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 30th Apr 2014, 10:31pm
Post #49

Mega City Key Holder
All the cranes are gone.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
*Guvin Wullie*
post 5th May 2014, 02:08am
Post #50

QUOTE (DavidT @ 30th Apr 2014, 10:48pm) *
All the cranes are gone.

Attached Image

A' thought the kept yon big giant crane frae Fairfields or the Gravin' dock as a national trust effort; or wis it jist tae rub in whit in Glesga we wance were before they shipped it aw' tae Vickers in "Great England"?

+Quote Post
lubbock
post 5th May 2014, 09:23pm
Post #51

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 14,540
I think the rag store was called "Harkins" when you took rags or scrap in auld Harkins weighed then and wrote a note out which you took up to a small window to be paid the amount on the note ...any one remember Mary o"Hara 's rag store on broomloan Rd it was at the back of Orkney st police station . Also remember Lennox"s store on Govan road and 'coffee Joes"..

--------------------
Sunny Govan.

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 5th May 2014, 09:34pm
Post #52

Mega City Key Holder
Here's the shadow of Govan Old as seen on Google Earth. By some freaky fluke of shadow trickery there as appears to be a large cross just to the left of it. Or is there really a large cross on that land? Hmmmm? Hmmmm?
Attached Image

+Quote Post
*Guvin Wullie*
post 13th May 2014, 08:34am
Post #53

QUOTE (DavidT @ 5th May 2014, 09:51pm) *
Here's the shadow of Govan Old as seen on Google Earth. By some freaky fluke of shadow trickery there as appears to be a large cross just to the left of it. Or is there really a large cross on that land? Hmmmm? Hmmmm?
Attached Image

The Old Govan Parish Church, the oldest religious entity in Glasgow and one of the oldest in Scotland, was bordered by Sharp st. Harlands plating shed at the rear and faced on to Govan rd. at the entrance. The graveyard ran the length of the rear of the tenaments on Wanlock st. I was "brougcht up" facing the caretakers house. The manse was on Sharp st. Surrounded by large wrought iron and sand stone fencing to keep the people separate from the church. The Rev. McLeod was meenister at the time. Late 40s to late 50s.

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 13th May 2014, 09:17pm
Post #54

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks Guvin Wullie, my pal Donnie McHarg stayed in Wanlock Street...or was it McKechnie Street? Roughly there. I know a lassie who lives in the fancy Clydeside flats there now. Thanks for all the info. D

+Quote Post
enrique
post 14th May 2014, 09:39am
Post #55

Lord Provost
Member No.: 1,842
biggrin.gif i think i have contributed to this thread already , but anything about Govan gets to me its where i was born and helped shape me for the big wide world, i remember Mary o,Haras, we used to go to Harkins but if you had woolens you got a better deal at Broomloan road , it wis the walk that got me as we Lived in Iona street, some other places well remembered were Polinis Chippie it was the wee wan in Neptune street, the big wan was farther up,Jeans Cafe next to Franks the store, we used to have hot peas and vinegar out of there , then Tonis the hairdresser, someone mentioned Deleneys, that was our sweetie shop and next door was Wee Franks the general store, there name was Stevens and one of his sons opened up a shop in the Famous Carnaby street in London in the 60,s, Fletcher the coalman , Charlie was one of his lads, in later years Alex Ferguson was misunderstood by the media when he said the only horse he knew was Fletcher the coalmans horse and they thought the name of the horse was Fetcher, but, he meant the coalman was Fletcher , i think the horse was called Trojan or some strong name like that, i remember in the school holidays we used to go to Saint Saviours for a dinner as they seemed to have to many, it was supposed to be for the catholic kids but although we went to Broomie road our mates used to take us into the school and say we were one o them, some of the families around us were all large, there were the Butterllys, Maddens , Petersens, McEvoys, Devaneys,all good families, we had a factor Mr Ireland who used to go around the schemes chasing the kids away who were playing in the street and closes, we nicknamed him Sandshoe Harry
i could go on and on, great memories although not all the time

+Quote Post
*Guvin Wullie*
post 17th May 2014, 09:29am
Post #56

QUOTE (DavidT @ 13th May 2014, 09:34pm) *
Thanks Guvin Wullie, my pal Donnie McHarg stayed in Wanlock Street...or was it McKechnie Street? Roughly there. I know a lassie who lives in the fancy Clydeside flats there now. Thanks for all the info. D

Musthuv been McKechnie st Dave as I knew everybody an' their dugs that lived in Wanlock st. in the 50s Dinna ken Donnie Mc Harg. Only person I ever knew frae McKechnie st. wis Tom Caulfield who lived in the first hoose through the lane at the swing park end.

+Quote Post
lubbock
post 17th May 2014, 08:34pm
Post #57

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 14,540
Why is it that my years spent in Govan were the happiest of my life,it still to this day makes me smile thinking back to my days as a young boy playing in Hoey St ,going over to Partick on the ferry,the feeling that you were safe ,that magical sense of being carefree and happy,I can still see myself in bed on a Saturday morning reading comics.Is it just me thinking it was all good times ?or was the experience of living in Govan so ingrained in my memory that every time I think back, this sense of belonging at times is overwhelming ,Govan the place of sweet memories ,struggles, dreams and happiness will always remain with me.

--------------------
Sunny Govan.

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 28th May 2014, 07:40pm
Post #58

Mega City Key Holder
Broomloan Road school up in flames. http://glasgow.stv.tv/115623/

+Quote Post
marilib
post 29th Jun 2014, 07:30pm
Post #59

Unpacking
Member No.: 13,276
Reply to Lubbock.

I still visit Govan for a wander, even although Nethan Street tenements have gone. St. Anthony's League Hall is still there. I got my photo taken for my Family History, one of many Govan ones I've to sort through. The hall belongs to Archie Mackay, who used to have a flooring company in there, he has now moved across the road to new premises. Did you ever fall in the Elder Pond, I did, I was only 7 and a man dived in and pulled me out. I wouldn't go home until the sun dried my dress, My Mother would have murdered me for being careless. I went to St. Anthony's School, but moved before I could go to St.Gerards. Like you say, we were always happy, no worries, we might have been poor, but so was everyone, so we didn't know we were poor. If it rained, we played on the landings. My kids tell their family, Gran and Grandad had a bath in a wee tin bath and they had to go outside to use the toilet. They also told them of the use we put to the Daily Record. You should have heard the screams. I'm very pleased we all have indoor amenities. Oh, o ne more thing, when I visited last Summer, someone pointed out to me the sign for Nethan Street, I was so pleased I took a photo of it, she also showed me the cobblestones the builders left at the end of Nethan Street, she said her Mum went down in the dark and stole one for her garden. I wish I had known, I would have done the same!!

+Quote Post
*Guvin Wullie*
post 11th Jul 2014, 12:44pm
Post #60

QUOTE (marilib @ 29th Jun 2014, 07:47pm) *
Reply to Lubbock.

I still visit Govan for a wander, even although Nethan Street tenements have gone. St. Anthony's League Hall is still there. I got my photo taken for my Family History, one of many Govan ones I've to sort through. The hall belongs to Archie Mackay, who used to have a flooring company in there, he has now moved across the road to new premises. Did you ever fall in the Elder Pond, I did, I was only 7 and a man dived in and pulled me out. I wouldn't go home until the sun dried my dress, My Mother would have murdered me for being careless. I went to St. Anthony's School, but moved before I could go to St.Gerards. Like you say, we were always happy, no worries, we might have been poor, but so was everyone, so we didn't know we were poor. If it rained, we played on the landings. My kids tell their family, Gran and Grandad had a bath in a wee tin bath and they had to go outside to use the toilet. They also told them of the use we put to the Daily Record. You should have heard the screams. I'm very pleased we all have indoor amenities. Oh, o ne more thing, when I visited last Summer, someone pointed out to me the sign for Nethan Street, I was so pleased I took a photo of it, she also showed me the cobblestones the builders left at the end of Nethan Street, she said her Mum went down in the dark and stole one for her garden. I wish I had known, I would have done the same!!

I went to St. Anthony's boys club when I lived in Guvin in the 50s. Harry Haddock who played for Clyde was a volunteer there. Nethan st. had been bombed during the war and I remember asking my mother why there were gaps where the buildings were missing.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd Apr 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.