Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

> Did Tories Kill 25,000 Glaswegians?, New research points to lethal political attack
GG
post 22nd Jun 2011, 10:47pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Disturbing new research by some of the city's most eminent social scientists has concluded that the most plausible single explanation for Glasgow's shockingly high mortality rate is the effect of a sustained political attack on the city by the Conservative governments of the eighties and nineties.

Scientists at the Glasgow Centre for Population Health (GCPH) conducted extensive research into a multitude of candidate hypotheses which may account for why thousands more Glaswegians have died than can be explained by the city's endemic poverty and deprivation (a phenomenon widely referred to as the 'Glasgow Effect').

While it has long been known that Glasgow's high death rate from 1980 onwards was largely due to alcohol-related deaths, drug-related deaths, suicides, violent deaths and road-traffic accidents in young adults (in addition to the continuing high rates of mortality for cardiovascular disease, cancer and stroke), the GCPH study looked into the underlying factors which resulted in the unique and deadly set of negative health behaviours prevalent in the city.

While acknowledging that further comparative research is required into a complex and multifarious problem, the report on the study concludes emphatically that:
The political attack hypothesis seems best placed to bring together the most likely behavioural, cultural and structural determinants of health into a coherent narrative which can explain the post-1980 mortality phenomenon. This hypothesis suggests that the neoliberal government policies implemented from 1979 onwards disproportionately affected the [...] Glaswegian population, and that this in turn was causally implicated in changing behavioural patterns leading to negative health outcomes.

In short, the report suggests that punitive and vindictive Tory policies "got under the skin" of the Glaswegian population, resulting in many thousands more premature deaths from drugs, alcohol, suicide, road-traffic accidents, cardiovascular disease, respiratory disease, stroke and cancer, even when compared to other equally deprived cities such as Manchester and Liverpool.

In explaining why the Tory governments were inclined to implement such damaging policies, the report suggests that:
[I]n the years after Edward Heath’s abandonment of his neo-liberal ‘Selsdon agenda’ in 1972, and particularly after the loss of the 1974 General Elections, elements within the Conservative Party planned a political attack against the organised working class – which had proved such an obstacle for Heath. After 1979 this plan was implemented with a high degree of resolve, and with very significant adverse impacts.

Regarding why the policies were most lethal in Glasgow, the report states:
What seems less clear is why other deindustrialised areas of the UK did not suffer in quite the same way as Scotland and Glasgow during the 1980s. On this question, there is evidence to suggest that Scotland was in some ways particularly targeted in the broader UK attack, and in key respects more vulnerable to its damaging effect than other areas – in light of its pre-existing poverty, high dependence on industrial employment, and very high reliance on council housing. There is also some evidential basis to indicate that Scotland had a distinctive cultural response to the political attack – in terms of a national feeling of disempowerment and loss of control.

Full report here:
http://www.gcph.co.uk/assets/0000/1080/GLA..._Report__2_.pdf

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- GG   Did Tories Kill 25,000 Glaswegians?   22nd Jun 2011, 10:47pm
- - Crewsy Fixer   I voted No, I have no intellectual input apart fro...   22nd Jun 2011, 10:57pm
- - Macbeast   "The report suggests " "suggests ...   23rd Jun 2011, 12:04am
- - TeeHeeHee   QUOTE Scientists at the Glasgow Centre for Populat...   23rd Jun 2011, 12:24am
- - tarheels   QUOTE I voted No, I have no intellectual input apa...   23rd Jun 2011, 12:26am
- - Tommy Kennedy   Certainly the social conditions of pre-war Glasgo...   23rd Jun 2011, 12:38am
- - Guest   I think some serious study into the Glasgow Effect...   23rd Jun 2011, 03:34am
- - tamhickey   I worked in the Licensed trade during the eighties...   23rd Jun 2011, 04:03am
|- - GG   QUOTE (tamhickey @ 23rd Jun 2011, 04:11am...   23rd Jun 2011, 08:20pm
- - wee davy   The figures are irrelevant. Did people die more qu...   23rd Jun 2011, 07:39am
- - Guest   Next they will be blaming the Tories for the Holoc...   23rd Jun 2011, 07:43am
- - Beltona Bill   What a load of self-pitying driffle that must have...   23rd Jun 2011, 07:49am
- - Jupiter   I dont suppose these mortality figures had anythin...   23rd Jun 2011, 08:21am
- - GG   QUOTE I dont suppose these mortality figures had a...   23rd Jun 2011, 08:37am
- - bilbo.s   It seems that even the affluent ones are intent on...   23rd Jun 2011, 08:48am
- - chas1937   Alcohol,/cigs and drugs are the problem and the fa...   23rd Jun 2011, 08:51am
- - farci   'Chinese Whispers' might be the title of t...   23rd Jun 2011, 08:52am
|- - GG   QUOTE (farci @ 23rd Jun 2011, 09:00am) .....   23rd Jun 2011, 08:39pm
- - flashton   It's a very useful paper and provides an analy...   23rd Jun 2011, 09:06am
|- - Dunvegan   QUOTE (flashton @ 23rd Jun 2011, 07:14pm)...   23rd Jun 2011, 09:40am
- - *greta*   The tories have always hit Glasgow hard because it...   23rd Jun 2011, 09:46am
- - Papadoc   Nothing whatsoever to do then with the Tamany Hall...   23rd Jun 2011, 09:48am
- - ionnsaigh   Difficult to believe that the British Tory governm...   23rd Jun 2011, 09:58am
- - frankbuntain   I am not a politically driven person neither labo...   23rd Jun 2011, 11:08am
- - Rabbie   Nope, yet another pile of over simplified, twisted...   23rd Jun 2011, 11:40am
- - wee davy   GG posts are normally for people to do just that, ...   23rd Jun 2011, 11:55am
- - GG   Thanks wee davy, yes, absolutely, the most importa...   23rd Jun 2011, 08:05pm
- - Grampar   Whether or not your posts from people who live out...   23rd Jun 2011, 09:32pm
- - Macbeast   QUOTE " In fact, they are already embarked on...   23rd Jun 2011, 10:51pm
- - GG   Macbeast, good point, but the one thing you can al...   23rd Jun 2011, 11:24pm
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.