Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

14 Pages V  « < 12 13 14  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Former Glasgow Restaurants, restaurants from the 60/70's
Stillroom
post 22nd May 2014, 08:32am
Post #196

Special Visitor
Member No.: 8,022
QUOTE (stratson @ 8th Feb 2013, 01:57pm) *
Sadly the Evening Times has today revealed the death of Mario Romano who opened the Sorrento in Buchanan St and several other later including, O Sole Mio and L'Ariosto.

Was so sad when I read of the death of Mario Romano. He was a gentleman.

--------------------
Katie Bairdie
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stillroom
post 22nd May 2014, 08:36am
Post #197

Special Visitor
Member No.: 8,022
Hello Stratson just seen your post about Mario Romano If I resmember right it was a family run business, I can't remember the name of the one in St.Vincent Street, Enzo was the manager there and he had lovely voice, used to sing at end of night, they were the days when we dressed up long dresses. Lovely memories

--------------------
Katie Bairdie

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 22nd May 2014, 08:47am
Post #198

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Guest @ 14th Feb 2013, 03:08am) *
Does anyone still go to or remember the Khoo i Nor, or as we used to call it Rassul's after the owner. I was last there in 1985 and Rassul was still there. If any one out there remembers the address of the original Khoo i Nor? ( near the Univesity ). The restaurant became the biggest Sub Continental restaurant in Scotland and was near the top end of Sauchiehall st. I spent a long time in India during the Bangladesh war, mainly because I could not get out, but I never tasted better food than at Rassul's.

http://www.koh-i-noor-glasgow.co.uk/

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
jackwhelan
post 22nd May 2014, 06:11pm
Post #199

Unpacking
Member No.: 25,987
Hello Stillroom and Stratson =Knew Mario very well. First met him when he and Enzo Rippa took over Dino's in Buchanan street for a period of 2 years. If memory serves me right Dino Baldi leased out DINO'S in Buchanan street for two years, to Enzo and Mario. That's when it all started.
Enzo left the Canasta (Ristorante Italiano) in Parliamentary road late '61early '62 about that period and joined up with Mario. They then eventually opened up their first restaurant across the road and called it the" Sorrento" along with a third partner I think was called Umberto Calvadoro.
Their next venture was the VISUVIOUS in St Vincent Steet and then the SOLO MIO IN Bath Street.
The L'ariosto was actually opend up by Mr Giannasi who at that time still owned the Canasta.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 22nd May 2014, 07:01pm
Post #200

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
The Koh i noor was originally in Gibson Street just before the bridge and was quite a small place.Had a few nice meals there and also the premises in North Street.
Took a young lady(I was a young lad at the time) into the place in Gibson Street.She complained the meat was "chuch" meaning she had problems chewing it.The waiters (and myself) were quite bemused by this description.

+Quote Post
**terry**
post 25th Jun 2014, 10:15pm
Post #201

QUOTE (Stillroom @ 22nd May 2014, 08:53am) *
Hello Stratson just seen your post about Mario Romano If I resmember right it was a family run business, I can't remember the name of the one in St.Vincent Street, Enzo was the manager there and he had lovely voice, used to sing at end of night, they were the days when we dressed up long dresses. Lovely memories

Hello, the St. Vincent st. resturant was called The Vesvuvio. and the owner was Enzo Rippa. he was a great singer. and a great chef. he got many awards.

+Quote Post
*Jenny Luise*
post 4th Nov 2014, 08:59am
Post #202

Once a time my friends were going for glasgow on that time glasgowhub provides me a top class restaurants with meals at very reasonable price.

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 21st Nov 2014, 10:34am
Post #203

QUOTE (Jupiter @ 22nd May 2014, 07:18pm) *
The Koh i noor was originally in Gibson Street just before the bridge and was quite a small place.Had a few nice meals there and also the premises in North Street.
Took a young lady(I was a young lad at the time) into the place in Gibson Street.She complained the meat was "chuch" meaning she had problems chewing it.The waiters (and myself) were quite bemused by this description.

Rassul, who owned the Koh I Nor, (Mountain of light) subsequently opened the biggest Asian restaurant in Glasgow, and the best. It was at the top end of Sukie Hall Street, on the right side just as you made a right haun turn to leave Glasgow. I knew Rassul for years and ate at his wee establishment on more occasions than I can remember.

All the time I lived in India I never had better food than there. I always make my own Indian food as I can never seem to get a place as good as Rassul's.

+Quote Post
Martas
post 7th Jan 2015, 11:43pm
Post #204

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,312
My late husband Bill Buchan was the accordionist in the Vesuvio, Glasgow for many years and the singer was Tommy Gibson, the drummer was Tommy Sweeney, & Harry Margolis played the Bass & sang. Enzo also sang Neapolitan songs. He invited all the players & their wives & families to a celebration of his daughter's Christening on a Sunday. The band played & sang & a buffet was available. When my late husband & I & our children entered the Vesuvio, Enzo, Umberto, & Mario were standing inside & I was introduced to them. They were very mannerly, taking my hand & calling me Madame.

Then we could choose from the buffet. Everyone enjoyed themselves.

Martas

+Quote Post
*lesley smullen*
post 7th Aug 2015, 09:26pm
Post #205

QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 10th Aug 2008, 07:28am) *
Anybody remember the "Yellow Bird" in Buchanan Street in late 50's early 60's near original "Dino's".

+Quote Post
**Kay**
post 20th Aug 2015, 07:56pm
Post #206

My Mum Catherine Smullen was the manageress in the Yellow Bird ..late 50s / early 60s she worked with another woman Margaret I believe ...she loved it there

+Quote Post
SARACENlad
post 21st Jun 2016, 07:12pm
Post #207

Super Visitor
Member No.: 26,058
Hi matt 63 I was more a fan of the cafe across the road the alcove or more commonly know as joes what no of allanderdid you stay in my big mate joe reston stayed there did you know him he was a big footy fan too

+Quote Post
big al
post 20th Jul 2016, 04:05pm
Post #208

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 42
With reference to earlier discussions about the Rapallo restaurant, I found this item a few days ago which seems to confirm my earlier statement about the Spanish Restaurant when I was going there

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool/23079076130

--------------------
That'll be the day........

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 12 13 14
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.