Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scotstoun And Yoker, Memories of the area
Rating 5 V
nippynell
post 7th Jan 2011, 09:02pm
Post #16

Special Visitor
Member No.: 9,094
QUOTE (pumps100 @ 7th Jan 2011, 09:49am) *
Is it not Yoker Ferry Road?

Regards

Ian

Hi there pumps100...I had no idea that the kilt shop was owned by them!...I'll need to let my niece know as she has her own Killt Shop in Alexandria, Thx for the info biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
alybainfan
post 7th Jan 2011, 09:39pm
Post #17

Special Visitor
Member No.: 9,290
We lived at 20 something think it was 22 Kelso street in the early 70's, it was up near the corner of Alderman road and it was from that house we moved to London. smile.gif

+Quote Post
**Agnes**
post 12th Jan 2011, 07:33pm
Post #18

Ian

You're correct of course. Yoker Ferry Road it is.

Regards

Agnes

+Quote Post
*Tam Byrne*
post 7th Apr 2011, 01:18am
Post #19

QUOTE (nippynell @ 7th Jan 2011, 09:12pm) *
Hi Linda ...just wandering ur name sounds so familiar, did u attend St Thomas Aquinas? and did u know the " Doris's " .. Sadie, Caroline, Hannah and Jane they have brothers too...Robert, Frank, Philip and Alan or the " McEwans " .. Nancy cant remember the brothers name...would be good to find out as my bestest wee pal is Sadie Doris and I would luv to tell her....Thx biggrin.gif

I lived in 107 Langholm St and attended St Brendans school in the late 60's and then went to Thomas Aquinas in 69. I loved the place as there was always something going on especially with the railway right at the back and the swing park in the street. Can any one rememberr the tragic accident concerning a motor bike going on fire and a young girl by the name of Alison dying? I stiil think of that accident to this day it wasthe first time that death occured in my young life.

+Quote Post
*linda barr*
post 2nd May 2011, 06:54pm
Post #20

No, that's not me. I went to Yoker Primary school at the other end of the road. The only people I remember playing with were Ian Ogilvy and a Polish girl, and my friend at school was called Helen. Hope you find Sadie!

+Quote Post
*Marilyn Bissette*
post 3rd May 2011, 01:25pm
Post #21

Hi All - I'm still on the theme of Langholm Street, I lived in number 94 from when I was 7 in 1955-1959 when I moved to a village in North Wales, near Caernarfon.

Like many of you we were quite poor in today's terms, but we didn't know it. I walked to school (St Brendans - where is that now?), used the tram to get to Whiteinch baths on my own at 7, used the ferry to get to Paisley Ice rink at 9, also on my own.

In the Summer we would go out in the morning and not return till tea time... and my mother would never ask where we had been or anything. We would wander around all over the place, having adventures. What freedom!

Just before I moved there was an incident where a youth was tied to a railway wagon and it was set on fire around bonfire night. He died. Was in all the papers.... does anyone remember that?

I remember the strictness of the school and church... I turned against the catholic religion when I was old enough to make my own decisions. The school was good though in terms of education.

I believe the houses are all knocked down now...

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 19th Jun 2011, 08:14pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
QUOTE (pumps100 @ 7th Jan 2011, 11:19am) *
Is it not Yoker Ferry Road? RegardsIan

Doubt it - theres no such thing as the Yoker Ferry. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Elma
post 20th Jun 2011, 01:35am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
Right on, Rab smile.gif Although I lived in Scotstoun it was always the RENFREW Ferry biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 20th Jun 2011, 05:05pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
To the best of my knowledge Yoker Ferry Rd is directly across Dumbaton Rd from Kelso St and was were you got on or off the ferry when it was running. Mary

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 20th Jun 2011, 11:09pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
The comic singers know that but can't help themselves. The two ferries which were removed the crossing last year were known as the Renfrew Rose and the Yoker Swan. They ran between the terminal in Yoker Ferry Road and the terminal at Ferry Road in Renfrew

+Quote Post
karen63
post 5th Jul 2011, 09:01pm
Post #26

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,140
QUOTE (linda barr @ 2nd May 2011, 06:47pm) *
No, that's not me. I went to Yoker Primary school at the other end of the road. The only people I remember playing with were Ian Ogilvy and a Polish girl, and my friend at school was called Helen. Hope you find Sadie!

+Quote Post
karen63
post 5th Jul 2011, 09:06pm
Post #27

Unpacking
Hi, Dont know if any one can help me, i used to live at 150, langholm street, we left there to move down south in 1970, i am trying to trace anyone who remembers us, family name Crabb, Alex, Nancy, Rhonda,Alex,Joyce, Jimmy,Karen and Wee Nancy, thanks

+Quote Post
karen63
post 6th Jul 2011, 12:06am
Post #28

Unpacking
QUOTE (*margaret* @ 18th Mar 2010, 12:29pm) *
i lived in yoker in the 60s we lived at 176 langholm st our name is devlin and we lived rite across from the park we had great neighbours one big family and i have a lot of good memories with them the lows, buchans, jimmy mcdonold the booky nxt door
as kids we were never bored we moved away in the 70s when ma da died went to live in cumbernauld we visited yoker regularly but then life has a habit of changing and everybody moves on
recently i went to visit a really nice neighbour she is still the same as i remember her but wat a change in the street the back courts and the old railway all been modernised we used to play over in the railway the old burn and the middens full of rats its a diffrent place now and most of the people are gone but memories for me are always with me

Hi, i was living in 150, Langholm street the same time as you were, you proberly know my older sisters and brothers better, Rhonda and Alex Crabb, Rhonda lives in Spain and Alex in OZ now

+Quote Post
marysynnot
post 26th Sep 2011, 08:31pm
Post #29

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,839
QUOTE (*nancy* @ 17th Jul 2009, 10:33pm) *
i was born in the house in langholm st yoker in 1947 giving my age away what agreat place to grow up iwent to the old yoker school infants middle and secondry ilived with my granny and granda katie and robert pollock iwent back and stayed with my ma da when they moved to the drum summerhill road in 1958 or 9 weewere about the first to move in to summerhill my ma da were mary and john bennett

+Quote Post
marysynnot
post 26th Sep 2011, 08:40pm
Post #30

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,839
HI,
Iam doing my family tree and have come across an Agnes Mckinnon kennedy who married a William McNab and then a distant relative of mine Thomas Cassidy Mckay. Know children are William Mcnab and Alexander McKay and Thomas Cassidy Mckay. They lived in 107 Langholm street and I believe there were an Elizabeth and John McNab at 95 Langholm Street.
Elizabeth Kennedy is recorded as a hotel waitress.
Let me know if you have any details of these. Thomas Cassidy Mckay senior is my distant relation.
Best regards
Mary

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.