Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Our First Telly, family
Isobel
post 18th Apr 2008, 03:08pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Our first TV was a Bush. I remember we all sat around until the little dot appeared in the middle of the screen. I think that was around 11 at night.Then it was good night bed time.Cant remember when the colour came into fashion I know our first one was black and white. Hard to believe eh. Now they are so big and hanging on the wall just like a picture.
We watched the coronation on a neighbours TV, I think the whole street was in and out the Corrigan's all day.Every one up the close brought wee goodies and it was a great day.I remember my sister got a wee tin of sweets from school to commemorate the occasion.Those were great days eh?

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marion Niven Dou...
post 18th Apr 2008, 04:39pm
Post #32

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,715
Wasn't there something said on the telly before it would shut down for the night??? Cnanny mind whit it wiz, but something like if you lived alone it wid scerr the s... oot ye ha ha ha We hud a record player before we hud a telly, oan HP of course, ma mammy wiz poor, bit ye could eat aff her coal bunker, God Bless Her I don'rt know how she survived the hard times, pawn an aw

+Quote Post
CAT
post 25th Apr 2008, 08:58am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
I don't remember our first telly as it was long before I was born but I'm told it was one of the first in our close. I do remember my friend Elisa Daly was the first person we knew to have a colour telly. (Her dad worked in a telly shop) We used to rush up to hers about 4' O'Clock to watch play school in colour we were only about 4 or 5.
When we got our first colour telly me and my mum would sleep on the pull out couch on a Friday night and watch come dancing with the lights out and marvel at the colours of the dresses.
Oh happy days!!

+Quote Post
*peachey*
post 7th Dec 2008, 02:15am
Post #34

ma dad brought oors in fae the tellybank in toonheid it had a wee meter for 10p and 50p pieces
or what ever it was in old money lol then at the end of the year wee picked things oot a book that wiz full of cloths bikes and toys and well an old type of argos ??

+Quote Post
albaforever
post 11th Jan 2010, 05:29pm
Post #35

Settling In
Member No.: 7,854
QUOTE (Isobel @ 18th Apr 2008, 04:06pm) *
Our first TV was a Bush. I remember we all sat around until the little dot appeared in the middle of the screen. I think that was around 11 at night.Then it was good night bed time.Cant remember when the colour came into fashion I know our first one was black and white. Hard to believe eh. Now they are so big and hanging on the wall just like a picture.
We watched the coronation on a neighbours TV, I think the whole street was in and out the Corrigan's all day.Every one up the close brought wee goodies and it was a great day.I remember my sister got a wee tin of sweets from school to commemorate the occasion.Those were great days eh?

We, too had all the neighbors in to watch the coronation on a 12inch "Ferguson" My mother made tea and entertained but my sister and I were just bored. I remember the "Early warning signal" and the childrens' show with Bill and Ben the flowerpot men and the little weed. I still remember the silly song...LOL

+Quote Post
Melody
post 7th Aug 2011, 05:48pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Remember this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRy3zahjW10...feature=related

And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-wmbM6EpZU...feature=related

And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te9otprt2mk...feature=related

And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5o1lhUmZUs

+Quote Post
benny
post 7th Aug 2011, 10:26pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
An ah thought we were the only wans tae hiv the neighbours in fur the coronation! biggrin.gif
Ah cannae remember the brand name of oor first telly, but it wis a self standin model, 12 inch, wi the big speaker at the bottom covered wi a gold coloured grille. It wis a rental telly - ye paid whitever a week an the company wis responsible fur repairs - an we had it intae the mid 60's. Ma Da eventually bought it affy Clydesdale when it became obsolete an rented a merr modern telly affy them - it cost him ten bob. (Fifty pence.) Fur a brief period we had two tellys, the auld wan an the new wan, but the auld wan went on the blink efter aboot a year an we ditched it. Ah took the big speak ooty it an threw the rest in the midden, but ah didnae know anythin aboot tellies in thae days, so ah jist slung the tube in the dustbin an threw the big transformer oan tap o it. It wis like a bomb gaun aff. Luckily ah wisnae too near it or ah might've been slashed tae ribbons, because the auld CRT tube imploded because o the vacuum, but could still spray gless aboot aw wyes.

We got oor first colour telly in the early 70s, jist as they were comin oot. Ma Da worked in STV at the time, as the maintenance plumber, an STV employees got a deal for a cheap rental. (It wis 1957 STV opened, by the way, Avril.) When ye think o the price o them in thae days - four and five hundred quid - an that's no takin inflation intae account. It must be the modern day equivalent o a coupla grand, an ye can buy a 19" LCD wan fur aboot a hundred quid noo.

The original Flint McCulloch in Wagon Train wis played by Robert Horton, maryhillgal.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
angel
post 8th Aug 2011, 12:12am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675

Our first Telly also was a floor model, we scewed the legs into the bottom of the set, and it stood in the corner looking like a wee sputnik , but we thought it was beautiful . smile.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
angel
post 8th Aug 2011, 02:43am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (angel @ 7th Aug 2011, 11:58pm) *
Our first Telly also was a floor model, we scewed the legs into the bottom of the set, and it stood in the corner looking like a wee sputnik , but we thought it was beautiful . smile.gif

oooooops , once more !...... I'm considering in the future . just phoning in my posts . unsure.gif ......
----------------------------
we screwed the legs into the bottom of the set .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
jeep
post 8th Aug 2011, 07:47am
Post #40

City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,272
Melody, yes I remember all of these.
I must be getting auld sad.gif

I think our first telly was a Bush.
Bought round about 1954.

Jeep

+Quote Post
Melody
post 8th Aug 2011, 08:51am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Aw me too Jeep, never mind we remember all sorts of things that the young don't know about. laugh.gif
Don't tell them. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
tombro
post 8th Aug 2011, 09:55am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Our first Telly, 1959 and we had it for a year before we came to Australia, was rented from DER.

Loved all the Cowboy Shows including Laramie, Rawhide, Wagon Train and Bronco. For a couple of earlier contributors, if they're still on topic with us, Clint Walker played Cheyenne and I'm pretty sure the part of Flint McCulloch, the 2IC in Wagon Train was played by Robert Fuller.

Also used to love staying up every Sunday Night for 'Sunday Night At The London Palladium' and also enjoyed Grandstand on a Saturday, especially watching hr Horse Racing !

Tombro smile.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
benny
post 8th Aug 2011, 11:29am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
As I've already said, Tombro, the Wagon Train scout, Flint McCulloch, was played by Robert Horton - at least in the original version of the series.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050073/

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 8th Aug 2011, 11:55am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Robert Fuller was best known for "Laramie" but also appeared in "Wagon Train".

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
tombro
post 9th Aug 2011, 10:40am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Thanks Benny and Bilbo, I stand corrected !

Tombro wub.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.