Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coal Bunkers, A story about Trust
wee davy
post 31st Mar 2011, 09:20pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Hello folks.

My mind wandered to the coal bunker outside our door in Shawpark St - in the lower close, at the back.

It seemed to me, I spent a LORRA LORRA time in there, every day! Now I'm going to make a statement here - which I'm sure 99% of you would agree with.

If you got your elect/gas from a cabinet OUTSIDE your hoose, by simply connecting a hose how long do think it would take, for your bills to climb, exponentially? Milliseconds? A day? OK mibbes a whole week.

Now I can VERIFY no coal was ever whipped from our bunker (I could account for almost every single LUMP or Briquet, from a VERY early age). I can also verify, we would never think/dream of going to someone ELSE's bunker.

I know we often say we wear rose coloured glasses, when we look back but I can honestly vouch for people's honesty with regards, 'the black stuff'.

We might've lived oan lemon curd piece's at times - but we seldom went withoot a fire, and hot water. The only problem is - weve awe mostly goat silicosis ai the lungs noo! hahahahaha laugh.gif

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 31st Mar 2011, 09:29pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Weedavy,the reason that your bunker wasnt plundered is because everybody in Shawpark Street got their supplies across the road......at Maryhill Goods and Mineral railway yard.You never saw a coal merchants lorry in that street because there was no demand for them.Coal rolleyes.gif never got the chance to fall off the back of a lorry cause it never made it on to it in the first place.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 31st Mar 2011, 09:37pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
hahahaha I DO recall that yard, come to think of it lol
(I wonder why that is?)

wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 31st Mar 2011, 10:21pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
davy we were privy to have oor bunker inside the hoose so never had to worry aboot any thieve(s) rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
ceader bhoy
post 31st Mar 2011, 10:29pm
Post #5

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,576
coal bunkers when you put your hands in to get the coal out you always got a hand full of cats shite, anybody had the same problem?????? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
benny
post 31st Mar 2011, 10:40pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
The only coal bunker ah remember is in the hoose in Cranhill, where it wis a kinda big cupboard oan the landin, but it had a lock on it. Ah know we must've hid wan when we lived in Garscube Road, but ah wis too young tae remember it. Ah remember some o the hooses in Drumchapel had a kinda wee door connectin the coal bunker oan the ootside o the hoose wi the inside o the hoose. Ye could go intae the bunker, open the wee door an get intae the hoose that way. Ah think if ah lived in the Drum noo, ah wid be blockin it up. biggrin.gif

How dae ye know nane o yer coal went missin, Wee Davy? Did ye number every lump? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 31st Mar 2011, 10:51pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Ceader bhoy,are you sure you had your hand in the bunker? Sounds to me you had it down the pan.I thought in the Drum they kept the coal in the bath.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 31st Mar 2011, 11:07pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
How dae ye know nane o yer coal went missin, Wee Davy? Did ye number every lump?

Ah put a CHIP oan each wan lol

And thats another hing - how come ah always found the remains ai mince pie suppers, and the like, when the midden wiz only 3/4 feet away? Filthy gits mad.gif

Nite all!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ceader bhoy
post 31st Mar 2011, 11:36pm
Post #9

Super City Key Holder
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 1st Apr 2011, 12:08am) *
Ceader bhoy,are you sure you had your hand in the bunker? Sounds to me you had it down the pan.I thought in the Drum they kept the coal in the bath.

jupiter let me tell you a story i mean a cats tail, about the cats in the house's doing there business in the bunker when i was a boy living in a tenement building 3 up, we had to get the coal out the bunker to put on the fire and we did not have a light in the lobby were the coal bunker was we had to dig it out blind,the result was a hand full off cats shite, know and again ugh, by the way i came from the garscube road not the drum and my auntie maggie from shuna st and your relations lived there am i right???, hers a photo of chapel st think it's the old betting shop cousin frank penders worked in cheers c/b ,

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
proudmaryhiller
post 1st Apr 2011, 12:01am
Post #10

City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,432
I remember our coal bunker was out the back just under the toilet window and I think it had a lock on it.

Jupiter, I remember the coal man comiing into my street (Shawpark) and emptying the coal into the bunker and all of our neighbours were decent honest people too.

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 1st Apr 2011, 12:24am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
mary I can remember the coal man, am not sure if it was Bell who deliverd our coal while we lived in the Street but it was Bell who brought our coal when we moved to our other house, ma mum always said that he had the best coal and that the others were just bringing up bags of dross. rolleyes.gif .... what did a know then rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
ceader bhoy
post 1st Apr 2011, 12:26am
Post #12

Super City Key Holder
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 31st Mar 2011, 11:38pm) *
davy we were privy to have oor bunker inside the hoose so never had to worry aboot any thieve(s) rolleyes.gif

glasgow lass yur one o mine god bless you biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 1st Apr 2011, 12:30am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
yoo bet wink.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ceader bhoy
post 1st Apr 2011, 01:45am
Post #14

Super City Key Holder
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 1st Apr 2011, 01:47am) *
yoo bet wink.gif biggrin.gif

bell delivered my mas coal ditto wit area???? cats shite not extra biggrin.gif cb x

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 1st Apr 2011, 03:20am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
That would be Boaby Bell the coalman and my old granny had many a fight with him saying the bags were light or full of dross.And that was a jest about the good people of Shawpark Street.
Im puzzled about those furry shite droppers.If I remember the bunker had a lid on it and a panel at the front so how did the varmints get in ?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.