Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pleasures Of Tenement Life!
Rating 5 V
ashfield
post 7th Dec 2010, 10:26am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
So how do you ..........errr......rearrange the coals in a fire with one of them rolleyes.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
alybainfan
post 7th Dec 2010, 10:55am
Post #32

Special Visitor
Member No.: 9,290
QUOTE (ashfield @ 7th Dec 2010, 10:12am) *
So how do you ..........errr......rearrange the coals in a fire with one of them rolleyes.gif

with great care amigo..great care laugh.gif

+Quote Post
benny
post 7th Dec 2010, 11:51am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
game of

Didnae dae it that time. Let's try game of game of poker

Aye, it added "game of" when ah typed "p.o.k.e.r" Must be some kinda predictive text feature. The web designer probably disnae know that a p.o.k.e.r wis used fur pokin the fire.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
alybainfan
post 7th Dec 2010, 12:08pm
Post #34

Special Visitor
lol, very irritatin' tho'.. anyway ma wee granda sat by the fire so he said...and waited wi' the P.o.k.e.r to kill the rats comin' doon the chimney...but my father said he was haverin'.. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
enrique
post 7th Dec 2010, 12:33pm
Post #35

Lord Provost
Member No.: 1,842
i enjoyed all the comments of the life in the tennements, i was from Govan and remember the hard times we had , maybe the fact that i had 10 brothers and 3 sisters did not help our economy much , but i do know we had a happy life and i suppose part of that was because your neighbours were all in the same boat, i always remember the folk in the close always helped one another even when it was your turn for the back green clothes poles ther was generally half the women from the close all giving a hand a great community spirit, my mother once a year would take us all down to the caledonian tailors in Govan to rig us out for the year, 1 pair of wellies 2 sloppy joes (t-shirts)pair of khaki trousers , new coat (maybe only once mind you and handed down each year)one pair of sandshoes and 1 pair of new shoes , the wellies were worn all winter and in summer you just rolled them down below you knees, we used to fit in piececs of cardboard to keep the wet out , this is when they were just about done, i even remember running in the school sports with my turned doon wellies,you could recognise the poor wanes because of the red ring that ran round your leg about knee high the shoes and sandshoes were strictly for the school and Boys Brigade days, even though we were hard up we still managed a 2 week holiday to Rothesay every year, working with a large family always led to shortage of money and so you had to improvise , we used to stock up on coal briquettes, this when you put them in the fire would then reduce the amount of coal you had to burn, when you ran out of briquettes and coal then it was time for the reserve , the old shoes that were kept for that purposs , it was all right with the canvas and leather ones but the rubber ons stank the place oot , but hey it kept you warm, the visits to the Bermeline bakery waiting for the return of the bakers van so you could buy the cheap bread, some people ask me where did you all sleep , the answer is anywhere you could fit in , and in winter there were no electric blanket , just the Barrs iron brew bottles with hot water in them, i could go on all day , but one thing i would like to add that none of us were ever in trouble with the authorities, this was due to the respect we had for others and other peoples property, some thing drilled into us by our parents.

+Quote Post
alybainfan
post 7th Dec 2010, 12:50pm
Post #36

Special Visitor
OMG enrique I'd forgotten all about the pop Bottle we used as Hot water bottles.. ohmy.gif

We had the same thing with Clothes and definitely the cardboard in the shoes ( we never had a holiday tho') but one year I went to Rothesay with my friends' family and that was the only holiday I had until I was 18 and went to work the season on the Isle of Arran.

I do remember having to go DM Hoeys' in Maryhill Road to get school uniform twice a year.

+Quote Post
irrie
post 7th Dec 2010, 01:03pm
Post #37

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
Thats where we got our school uniforms as well.If i remember right.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 7th Dec 2010, 04:16pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (enrique @ 7th Dec 2010, 01:19pm) *
i enjoyed all the comments of the life in the tennements

we used to stock up on coal briquettes, this when you put them in the fire would then reduce the amount of coal you had to burn

Nice post enrique, the other trick when there was only dross left, was shovelling it into damp newspaper and making a parcel so it would burn longer. School uniform, whats one of them rolleyes.gif I had two big brothers so you can guess where my clothes came from laugh.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
irrie
post 7th Dec 2010, 04:29pm
Post #39

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
Wan o the perks o being the oldest like me ye got aw the new stuff when yer parents could afford it.

+Quote Post
alybainfan
post 7th Dec 2010, 09:52pm
Post #40

Special Visitor
I was the oldest as well...well my big brother was 9 years older ..but I had 3 younger siblings, so I got the new stuff, thank god, because they made sure the old stuff lasted till it fell off you. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 25th Jan 2011, 05:41pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
My recollections include the fact that doors were never locked during the day - a knock was always followed by a shout 'Just come in'! Weans were always rushing in and oot - usually for pieces. biggrin.gif
Another image has just sprung to mind of my 'Uncle' Tommy sitting by the range stroking his hands with a large magnet to remove metal splinters from a hard days graft in the foundry. N0-one today could ever imagine that. Makes me weep to think of it.

+Quote Post
benny
post 25th Jan 2011, 06:56pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
QUOTE (alybainfan @ 7th Dec 2010, 01:28pm) *
. . . I do remember having to go DM Hoeys' in Maryhill Road to get school uniform twice a year.

Ah got mine affy Wimpy - a dunkey jaiket an tackety boots. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 26th Jan 2011, 01:19am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (enrique @ 7th Dec 2010, 10:11pm) *
i enjoyed all the comments of the life in the tennements, i was from Govan and remember the hard times we had , maybe the fact that i had 10 brothers and 3 sisters did not help our economy much , but i do know we had a happy life and i suppose part of that was because your neighbours were all in the same boat, i always remember the folk in the close always helped one another even when it was your turn for the back green clothes poles ther was generally half the women from the close all giving a hand a great community spirit, my mother once a year would take us all down to the caledonian tailors in Govan to rig us out for the year, 1 pair of wellies 2 sloppy joes (t-shirts)pair of khaki trousers , new coat (maybe only once mind you and handed down each year)one pair of sandshoes and 1 pair of new shoes , the wellies were worn all winter and in summer you just rolled them down below you knees, we used to fit in piececs of cardboard to keep the wet out , this is when they were just about done, i even remember running in the school sports with my turned doon wellies,you could recognise the poor wanes because of the red ring that ran round your leg about knee high the shoes and sandshoes were strictly for the school and Boys Brigade days, even though we were hard up we still managed a 2 week holiday to Rothesay every year, working with a large family always led to shortage of money and so you had to improvise , we used to stock up on coal briquettes, this when you put them in the fire would then reduce the amount of coal you had to burn, when you ran out of briquettes and coal then it was time for the reserve , the old shoes that were kept for that purposs , it was all right with the canvas and leather ones but the rubber ons stank the place oot , but hey it kept you warm, the visits to the Bermeline bakery waiting for the return of the bakers van so you could buy the cheap bread, some people ask me where did you all sleep , the answer is anywhere you could fit in , and in winter there were no electric blanket , just the Barrs iron brew bottles with hot water in them, i could go on all day , but one thing i would like to add that none of us were ever in trouble with the authorities, this was due to the respect we had for others and other peoples property, some thing drilled into us by our parents.

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 26th Jan 2011, 01:23am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (enrique @ 7th Dec 2010, 10:11pm) *

Born n'bred in Govan, and they used to accuse us cafferlicks o having big fammilies. Never burnt shoe but our bed spreads were patch work wi' W.D. markings, and the hot water bottles Boer War era stone jugs. I never got in trouble with the law as I was too scaird o' my faither do try it, but doon Wanlock and Dunvegan st. there was never a shortage of neds who were willing to take my place. I well remember carboard in the shoes and "wellie" rash.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 26th Jan 2011, 02:39am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
It's been great reading through this topic and bringing back memories of my once-a-month-or longer visits to the tenements in the Gorbals and Brigton wi ma mammy ... aw the way fae darkest Blantyre biggrin.gif

But The biggest laugh was in reading and remembering the sudden surge of game of poker games that hit the boards round about November/December last year.
... a game of game of game of game of poker ... every time I tried to edit I added instead another game of game of till I rebooted the pc and still it went on and that as far of as Aus too. laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.