Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

> Home Made Tales, The journey
peter.howden
post 31st Dec 2014, 08:32pm
Post #1

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,485

The Journey

Jim stepped down from the train and immediately knew where he was. ‘I am dam well sure this was not my original destination when I boarded the carriage but I defiantly know this place’, he thought inwardly.

The guardsman hollered over his unheard thought “We will stop here for exactly two hours while we repair a vital part of the locomotive but don’t worry folks; you will make your original destination required on your own personal ticket. It was at this instance or there about, Jim saw the place as being his home town. The town he grew up in. Though Jim appeared to walk aimlessly, his feet took on an agenda of their own which led him to an old run down shop that had been his family’s business almost as old as the township itself.

It was in a decapitated state but Jim had seen it as its prime. He remembered he left the tiny enterprise while the depression was in full swing and his parents were in dire need of unpaid help but he needed to “Get away” and make his mark. Jim recalled he might have stayed on yet the lore to see bright lights out there in the world dictated his departure. His father suffered a stroke shortly afterwards and his mother never recovered from the gruesome toil as she struggled to make ends meet. They are both gone now and he could not remember being at their funerals. Sad, how things do change without warning especially when there is a wanting not to. .

Another unexpected stroll left him standing outside the church which was used for all religions and ceremonies within the tiny community, and past crept back into his mind, uncontrollably of his youthful girl, Jane… to be precise. The result of this unbridled fancy; was a seed of life created by embraced love and the need to marry…. so to keep his beloved’s reputation being torn by the prejudices of the straight laced core group of the district….he promised a hasty elopement..

Not only did he take cold feet at the last possible moment, disappearing without trace or a word as Jane waited at the hall door; leaving her to face the disapproval from the righteous bible brigade that scours every community, town village or city of this confused country. . Jim could swear he could hear the organist playing, rather badly, as she always did, but with gusto and heart and he was almost sure he caught a glimpse of his old sweetheart but gnaw it could not be. “I wonder what happened to her and my child”, Jim silently moaned to himself. She left town just as the gossips were weaving their distasteful tales and glances were never of the kindly type.

Somehow, as if by magic or some mysterious force, he was standing in front of the bank or what looked as the bank was back then. It had managed to keep its business head just above water and struggled against two possible runs on the back which were common for that period of time. One thing, above all else, kept it going was it belonged to the people and the community trusted everyone for they were all in the same boat. Times were desperate and hard and the silver dollar was but a dream and he had so many dreams. This was the very reason he chose to scarper however I would not supposed the town would have given these act two thoughts had he not taken $4,000 of their money with him. He persuaded himself he had to get out of such a dreary place and make good of himself. The trouble was; he never did.

Perhaps nostalgia or time had placed soft sparling coating over his eyes, for the township look good… warm to his thoughts….for whatever he had done in the past, and after all, it was where he grows up and became a man he was.

A call from the train guard and a haste boarding of the now ready train and they were oft like a bullet out of a gun. As the train tumbled along, the faceless ticket collector was high above him as Jim slunk on the couch of the carriage and wondered if he had been dreaming as he could not remember where his journey had started and had he been sleeping all the way. . He was just about to inform the man of his destination when his ticket was punched and handed back without a word being spoken.

Jim glanced at his ticket to see the words printed boldly; “a one way ticket to Hell”
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- peter.howden   Home Made Tales   31st Dec 2014, 08:32pm
- - peter.howden   Second wind There is a lot of absolutely nonsens...   1st Jan 2015, 08:24am
- - peter.howden   End of her tether; The flat itself is exceedingly...   2nd Jan 2015, 01:11pm
- - peter.howden   The Parables The good Samaritan? The old man ...   2nd Jan 2015, 08:08pm
- - Dylan   Entertaining Peter , enjoying them !.   2nd Jan 2015, 08:15pm
- - peter.howden   Circles There is a fine line between reality a...   4th Jan 2015, 10:26am
- - peter.howden   Thank you Dylan.................which one I wonder...   4th Jan 2015, 11:00am
- - peter.howden   (1)The Big Bang; Along a uninhabited road which ...   5th Jan 2015, 11:00am
- - peter.howden   Sentenced In his mind, he walked this final path...   5th Jan 2015, 11:58am
- - peter.howden   Greek bearing gifts She was a young, French, goo...   7th Jan 2015, 11:44am
- - peter.howden   The Parables The Glasga good Samaritan; He had ...   9th Jan 2015, 07:02am
- - peter.howden   The Parables Five loaves and two fishes; Lady o...   10th Jan 2015, 07:25pm
- - peter.howden   George (Thee Polar bear) George was a sucker for ...   11th Jan 2015, 10:56pm
- - peter.howden   PEE WEE Pee Wee is thee Glasga pigeon of some ama...   13th Jan 2015, 10:15am
- - peter.howden   Grant’s Cloths; Through anyone’s life...   14th Jan 2015, 08:47pm
- - peter.howden   BETH; Gazing on Beth’s fairy like movements...   15th Jan 2015, 10:24am
- - peter.howden   Shug in two halves It is said you can fool some ...   19th Jan 2015, 12:21am
- - peter.howden   A Christmas miracle Glasgow has in famous or inf...   20th Jan 2015, 12:54am
- - peter.howden   Home Made Tales Dark It’s dark, darker t...   20th Jan 2015, 02:26pm
- - peter.howden   Fairy tale The first meeting was not supposed...   21st Jan 2015, 07:09am
- - peter.howden   A STRANGER ; A single figure of a man, sat in th...   23rd Jan 2015, 08:12pm
- - Heather   Aye very good Peter, I enjoyed those stories.   23rd Jan 2015, 08:19pm
- - peter.howden   Magic Heather.........I like to scribble.............   23rd Jan 2015, 08:49pm
- - peter.howden   Ponderings The coming of a particular day of th...   25th Jan 2015, 10:21am
- - peter.howden   What’s up “Doc” He had the maki...   26th Jan 2015, 06:46am
- - peter.howden   Nomadic (1) The long train, with a multitude of s...   26th Jan 2015, 07:54pm
- - peter.howden   Nomadic (2) His psychological grisly journey, thr...   28th Jan 2015, 09:50am
- - peter.howden   Home made tales The real Trojan horse Odysseus...   28th Jan 2015, 07:59pm
- - peter.howden   Cure It’s hard to tell a story particular...   30th Jan 2015, 09:15am
- - peter.howden   The flight for life;(1) my life was forfeited as...   31st Jan 2015, 11:50pm
23 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.