Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

18 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Salmond Vs Sturgeon, A fishy affair
bilbo.s
post 29th Apr 2020, 06:08pm
Post #241

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 29th Apr 2020, 07:00pm) *
British? It's barely journalism.

Hence the quotation marks, dummy!

As for "British" , I doubt there is a more biased press in the western world.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 29th Apr 2020, 07:37pm
Post #242

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,884
From Google, the article in full. We might as well read what we're discussing. sign_lol.gif

Jim Sillars says SNP may have to quit after Alex Salmond's book

ALEX Salmond's new book will be like a "volcanic eruption" for the SNP which may need to be replaced by a new independence party, according to its former deputy leader.

The Herald reported that Jim Sillars said Alex Salmond’s recent trial and acquittal had shown there was a need “for a complete clear-out of the highest levels of the party before it is again fit to lead again”.

The extent of this “rot” could require the independence movement “to set up something new, untainted, in its place”, he said.

Salmond was cleared of 13 sexual assault charges at the High Court in Edinburgh last month, and suggested he had been the victim of a politically-motivated conspiracy.

Senior MPs in the party have hit out at the way the case was handled and have called for Salmond to rejoin.

In the forthcoming issue of the Scottish Left Review, Sillars says the "trial of the SNP both at party and parliamentary level is yet to begin".

The revelations in Salmond's book about the case “will gladden Unionist hearts”, and “a tempest of scorn will sweep down on and over on the independence movement”, he adds.

Sillars was deputy to Salmond when he was SNP leader in the 1990s.

He has previously said Salmond shared information about his case with him in advance of the trial which pointed to a conspiracy against him.

Although this was not produced in court for legal reasons – the judge ruled it could lead to the trial straying off course – the former First Minister now intends to make it public in his book.

Sillars said: “The criminal trial of Alex Salmond may be over, but the trial of the SNP both at party and parliamentary level is yet to begin.

“It is unavoidable.

“The book he is writing, with the material he was not allowed to produce at trial, but which has all the authenticity of Scottish government and SNP party documents, will be like a volcano going off underneath some people. Some whose identities I and others know, but cannot name, must tremble at the prospect of what is to come.

There could be another police investigation, this time not into Alex Salmond.”

He continues: “For the rest of us, it is the effect of that coming volcanic eruption on the SNP as a party, as the electoral wing of the independence movement, that matters.

“Not being in the Salmond camp, but in the SNP, and having devoted the major part of my political life to the cause of independence, I see a need for a complete clear-out of the highest levels of the party before it is again fit to lead.

“The cult of personality, the obsessive desire of leaders for complete control of the membership and parliamentarians, the growth of a clique of acolytes, one-person rule – there has been a rot growing at the heart of this organisation for years.”

Sillars also suggests the SNP may no longer be fit for purpose.

He wrote: “The independence movement is not just the SNP, but the movement as a whole has much invested in the party as the instrument to achieve democratic success.

“As the rot is uncovered, the temptation – already being thought of by some - will be to set up something new, untainted, in its place.

“That might need to be done if the damage to come proves fatal. I hope not, because it is not easy to replace and fill the electoral space of a long established organisation.

"I speak from experience of an attempt to do so in the mid- to late 1970s with the Scottish Labour Party.

“It is better to cleanse a sword than to discard it, in the hope of finding another. But if the sword cannot be cleansed enough … well … we shall see.

“There is enormous strength, and ability, in the independence movement.

“Whatever direction is taken, it will eventually succeed.”

The SNP have been approached for comment.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 29th Apr 2020, 07:47pm
Post #243

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
rolleyes.gif same crap could be said about ANY political party the world over kem.

I would be more concerned about the narcisists and sociopaths running the country. yes.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 29th Apr 2020, 09:08pm
Post #244

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 29th Apr 2020, 08:59am) *
Jagz seems to think so.

Because i reply to you don't flatter yourself by thinking i'm validating your pathetic little musings. wink.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 29th Apr 2020, 09:11pm
Post #245

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 28th Apr 2020, 10:03pm) *
I've stumped him.

Howzat!

Do you honestly think that i'm like you and have nothing better to do than hang around here?

3 hours between your question and you reply. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 29th Apr 2020, 09:15pm
Post #246

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 29th Apr 2020, 08:37pm) *
We might as well read what we're discussing.

I wasn't discussing it.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 29th Apr 2020, 09:43pm
Post #247

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Sillars is as daft as Kemedian. At least he has the excuse of senility .

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 29th Apr 2020, 09:58pm
Post #248

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 29th Apr 2020, 10:15pm) *
I wasn't discussing it.

I noticed. laugh.gif

I wonder why?

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 29th Apr 2020, 11:42pm
Post #249

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 29th Apr 2020, 05:03pm) *
And when readers of the paper on here refuse to comment on headlines like the one we had the other day about Alex Salmond's book, well that tells its own story. eyebrow.gif

Asolutely pathetic, commenting on a book that hasn't even been published, what a sad little sheeple he is.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 29th Apr 2020, 11:49pm
Post #250

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 29th Apr 2020, 10:58pm) *

I can't be the only one to notice that your now thanking the NHS after years of supporting governments who have been cutting the budgets of the NHS?

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 30th Apr 2020, 07:38am
Post #251

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 29th Apr 2020, 10:11pm) *
Do you honestly think that i'm like you and have nothing better to do than hang around here?

3 hours between your question and you reply. laugh.gif

Bit harsh JAGZ. I know you've got a life but the schools are off, he''s stuck in the house and not even allowed to go out and play with his pals eyebrow.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 30th Apr 2020, 11:30am
Post #252

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 30th Apr 2020, 08:38am) *
Bit harsh JAGZ. I know you've got a life but the schools are off, he''s stuck in the house and not even allowed to go out and play with his pals eyebrow.gif

He has pals? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 30th Apr 2020, 11:40am
Post #253

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 30th Apr 2020, 12:30pm) *
He has pals? unsure.gif

Sorry, I meant playmates tongue.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 30th Apr 2020, 12:47pm
Post #254

Mega City Key Holder
The wife and I are both key workers, so the main difference to daily life for us is fitting our kid's home schooling around our usual schedule. It ain't easy.

Anyway, the less said about this story and the paper that printed it the better. All I did was post the front page. It was Jagz who started the discussion, then left it, then joined it again. But really it is Alex Salmond (and his support) who is determined not to let it go. huh.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 30th Apr 2020, 01:01pm
Post #255

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 30th Apr 2020, 01:47pm) *
All I did was post the front page. It was Jagz who started the discussion, then left it, then joined it again.

But really it is Alex Salmond (and his support) who is determined not to let it go. huh.gif

What discussion did i start?

And i (as well as everyone else) comment on a story then leave and rejoin later as we have lives to be getting on with, we can't all sit around on here all day.

Of course Alex Salmond won't let it go, he was falsely accused of disgusting crimes, and he also has a book to sell. wink.gif

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd Jul 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.