Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Labour Routed In Glasgow, Every Labour MP in city loses their seat
john.mcn
post 1st Jul 2015, 01:22am
Post #151

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
QUOTE (*Richardor* @ 30th Jun 2015, 10:55pm) *
So the SNP currently has 56 MPs in Westminster.

What exactly have they managed to do?

Anything other than claim expenses?

Answers on the back of a postage stamp! smile.gif

Vote for measures that they believe will benefit Scotland and the people within it, of course in this apparently 'equal union' we can have almost every Scottish MP vote for such measures but MP's in England vote it down and cheer in the process... Equality Union style.. Of course maybe those MP's who voted to keep us chained to westminster economic policy might have voted differently if they even showed up for debates on the Scotland bill, but they dont, they only march down to vote under orders to shoot them down one after the other..

They can also show up the stupid old customs like not being allowed to clap...oops except MP's have clapped in the past, the rules are only enforced when the Daily Torygraph complains and it's the SNP doing the clapping.

There's also that other convention on where MP's sit, if the libdems are the 3rd party then no problem as there a wee section for them, but if it's the SNP the London media are up in arms they have the audacity to think they can take their rightful place in that same section.

What the SNP have done is shown up the other parties when they actually show up for debates, quite shocking for 'our' democracy i know, they only time we see as much enthusiasm from the other parties is when they're voting themselves a nice wage rise.

After watching a few debates and speeches (Tommy Shepperd is very good) i do think the people who voted them made the right decision. Maybe the question you should be asking that after decades in power in Scotland what did Labour do apart from collect expenses and sort themselves a nice wee seat in the House of old fogies..

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ktv
post 1st Jul 2015, 07:26am
Post #152

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
aye and labour have hundreds of mps and have done nothing but back the tories at every move.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 1st Jul 2015, 08:20am
Post #153

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (*Richardor* @ 30th Jun 2015, 11:55pm) *
So the SNP currently has 56 MPs in Westminster.

What exactly have they managed to do?

Anything other than claim expenses?

Answers on the back of a postage stamp! smile.gif

Is it only unionist MP's that can claim expenses Dick?

Of course you won't reply Dick, but could you tell me what the 41 Labour MP's from Scotland in the last parliament actually did for us?

Apart from not voting to abolish the bedroom tax and marching in shoulder to shoulder with the Tories on the 13th January 2015 to sign up to support 30billion of austerity cuts.

Answers on the back of half a postage stamp.

Over to you Dick.

+Quote Post
*Sam*
post 17th Jul 2015, 08:42am
Post #154

Absolutely fantastic to see a poll out today that said that the liars at the Labour Party have lost oven more support since they were routed in the general election. Long may this continue. It's time to remove this horrible group of self-serving hypocrites from Glasgow politics forever, starting with the risible leader Gordon Matheson who will be ejected from his post very shortly. Good riddance.

+Quote Post
*Talisman*
post 23rd Jul 2015, 09:15pm
Post #155

QUOTE (Sam @ 17th Jul 2015, 08:50am) *
Absolutely fantastic to see a poll out today that said that the liars at the Labour Party have lost oven more support since they were routed in the general election. Long may this continue. It's time to remove this horrible group of self-serving hypocrites from Glasgow politics forever, starting with the risible leader Gordon Matheson who will be ejected from his post very shortly. Good riddance.

"Scottish Labour" is that an oxymoron, a paradox or contradiction. Maybe it's just pure sarcasm.

+Quote Post
GG
post 8th Aug 2015, 08:29pm
Post #156

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Labour humiliated in the council by-elections on Thursday. No wonder council 'leader' Gordon Matheson is so keen on bailing out of the council and hoping for list MSP seat via the back door.

From the BBC, that, as usual, slants it from an anti-SNP angle :
Swing from Labour
In the poll in Glasgow's Langside ward, where the SNP won a seat from the Greens, first-preference voting was: SNP 2,134, Labour 932, Green 579, Conservative 379, Liberal Democrats 125, Ukip 65, TUSC 62.

The swing from Labour to the SNP was 13%. The Greens saw their vote share increase by 4.5 points but it was not enough to hold the seat they had won when three seats were contested in the ward in 2012. Turnout was 21.7%.

At Glasgow, Calton, the SNP held the council seat vacated by new MP Alison Thewliss with 1,507 first-preference votes against Labour 814, Conservative 129, Ukip 103, Green 99, Independent 47 and Lib Dems 18. The swing from Labour to the SNP was 25%, and turnout 16.1%.

At Glasgow, Anderston/City, formerly represented by new MP Martin Docherty, the SNP held the seat with 1,441 first-count votes against Labour 857, Green 414, Conservative 164, Lib Dem 66, Ukip 43, Libertarian 12. Swing from Labour to SNP was 20%, and turnout 14.5%

The SNP also held a seat at Glasgow, Craigton. First-preference voting was: SNP 2,674, Labour 1,643, Conservative 300, Green 136, Ukip 95, Lib Dem 87. Swing from Lab to SNP was 21.5%, and turnout 21.7%.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
ktv
post 28th Aug 2015, 08:03am
Post #157

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
lol

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
GG
post 21st Oct 2015, 10:10pm
Post #158

Administrator
Group Icon
From the Scotsman today:
Scots voters consider Labour ‘irrelevant’

Labour is seen as “irrelevant” and “part of the past” by voters in Scotland who have deserted the party, research using focus groups into the party’s heavy General Election defeat in May has found.

The focus groups conducted in Edinburgh and Glasgow for the party found that Labour was seen as “indistinguishable from the Tories” and “an incompetent version” of the them.

There was also anger about Labour “taking Scotland for granted” for years has dissipated, but only because the party is “simply an irrelevance” which is “firmly in the past….part of the heritage.”

The party’s research said: “Labour must re-build in Scotland as a credible alternative to the SNP that isn’t at the beck and call of Westminster”. It said the party should “consider rebranding Scottish Labour as independent.”

However, it also found there were some underlying fears that Scotland is becoming a one-party state, and many voters would have preferred a Labour-SNP coalition.

Some Scots were also “anxious” about the Conservative Government.

“By far the biggest concern is that Scotland will continue to be ignored and Cameron’s promises on devo max will never materialise,” the research said.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 1st Nov 2015, 04:59pm
Post #159

Mega City Key Holder
The labour party's branch in Scotland has voted not to renew Trident.
Kezia Dugdale though as the branch manager is pro renewal (but pro worldwide nuclear disarmament)
The Main party darn sooth votes to renew despite their leader being against renewal..
unsure.gif

Now what happens if by a miracle that UK labour are elected to office in the next decade, are the Labour MP/MP's in Scotland to follow the branch office vote or do they vote with the ruling UK Labour?

All terribly confusing for us lowly plebs, anyone would think that either those at the Perth conferance really believe they are independent (lets see what the ballot papers say), or that they are taking us for mugs and kidding us on that that vote has any power over UK Labour policy..

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
carmella
post 2nd Nov 2015, 10:27am
Post #160

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Well John, that's one heck of a question, going by what we've seen over the years, I would think your last sentence would be the case. I may be wrong (again) but I can't see the Scottish Labour contingent, holding up against the big boys nationally! My late father always convinced us that the only interest the Labour Party had in Scotland was its votes - I firmly believe this.

But, the question of Trident has set me thinking once again. I have always thought we should keep our Nuclear capability, since it might leave us vulnerable without it. However, if I, or anyone else, believes this, then it follows that unilateral disarmament, is the way to go, this way no-one poses a nuclear threat to anyone.

However, I'm a little confused now as I have come to realize that whether we have nuclear capability or not, you will never get some of the most dangerous Leaders to agree to get rid of theirs, even if they agreed, we would need proof that they had indeed got rid of them!

If we get rid of Trident, will it make our wee country safer in future? I can't imagine that without Trident, some eejit somewhere would say 'aye let's blow up Scotland.

If I hadn't woke up this morning, my brain wouldn't be in thinking mode, which is dangerous, maybe I'll go back to sleep. Oh, I'm getting a parcel delivery so I can't.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 2nd Nov 2015, 02:34pm
Post #161

Mega City Key Holder
I replied to kems post about this on the independence thread, the one where he complains about the after effects of the referendum yet keeps going on about it and uses any excuse (including this one) to bash the SNP. He's like a wee Kem the Tank engine on a railtrack so only knows one route, only problem with that is he has do a lot of backing up wink.gif

The thing with the Labour party up here, all it's big hitters were in Westminster andf they're all probably signing on or are consultants being employed by labour councils now, the one thats left is only famous for complaining about his offices being vandalised when someone stuck a YES sticker on the door, pity it wasn't a gate because then we could call it stickergate biggrin.gif

Yes Prime minister on replacing Polaris, and here we are again with replacing it's replacement biggrin.gif

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
carmella
post 2nd Nov 2015, 02:42pm
Post #162

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
One of the best comedies in tv history, I loved that - made my day. I also don't think this little sketch is too far removed from what happens with their civil servant advisers in situ - loved it. laugh.gif

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
*Talisman*
post 3rd Nov 2015, 11:01am
Post #163

QUOTE (carmella @ 2nd Nov 2015, 02:50pm) *
One of the best comedies in tv history, I loved that - made my day. I also don't think this little sketch is too far removed from what happens with their civil servant advisers in situ - loved it. laugh.gif

Comedy!!!! an' heer's me thinkin it wis a Drama documentary.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 3rd Nov 2015, 09:37pm
Post #164

Mega City Key Holder
Former Labour MP for Glasgow South has had enough of labour it seems

“Shadow Minister Catherine West says she’ll consult “Stop the War” in the event of a vote on military action in Syria.

Jesus. Where to start?

You’ll be familiar with the phrase “Jump the Shark”; it’s when a TV series is widely acknowledged to have become so unbelievable that it’s obviously lost the plot. It derives from an episode of “Happy Days”, when Fonzie literally jumps a shark filled tank on his motorbike. Apparently.
So anyway, after 60 per cent votes for sure fire election losers, IRA-supporting Shadow Chancellors and Scottish Labour unnecessarily splitting the party on issues over which it has no responsibility, we have a Shadow Minister telling “Stop the War” – a madcap coalition of trots, Islamists and anti-west fury chimps – that Labour will consult them on how it will vote on Syria.

So that’s it. Labour has jumped the shark. It has gone from “a bit bonkers” to “irredeemable” in the space of a single day.

And I give up. That’s it for me. Giving. Up.

Goodbye.”

Labour has jumped the Shark...Brilliant!!!! sign_lol.gif

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
GG
post 14th Nov 2015, 09:58pm
Post #165

Administrator
Group Icon
Oh dear, this is getting embarrassing, as the deluded and vain failed MP, Anas Sarwar, now looks to be trying to buy his way back into the Scottish Labour's disintegrating political scene by offering former colleagues a free lunch! rolleyes.gif

No such thing as a free lunch?

Scottish Labour deputy leader Anas Sarwar has unnerved his colleagues after booking out a 500-seater venue with an offer of free dinner to set out his vision for the party.

In the clear first move of his anticipated political comeback, Mr Sarwar, who lost his Glasgow Central Westminster seat in May, has contacted parliamentarians, councillors and activists with an invite to hear his "view on the future of the Labour Party and Scotland".

Guests at the Riverside Palace will be treated to dinner at a restaurant on Glasgow's south side which bills itself as "one of Scotland's leading banqueting venues", holds up to 500 people and "boasts a high degree of elegance and grandeur".

The move has raised eyebrows amongst senior party figures, who believe it is a clear pitch to re-position himself at Scottish Labour's top table.

With Labour's candidate rules changed, Mr Sarwar is expected to top Glasgow's regional list, which now must be based on a male and female taking the top two slots.

Despite several Glasgow constituencies yet to nominate their Labour candidate, it is understood Mr Sarwar had ruled out a head-to-head with the SNP as his route back to politics. ...

Full story here:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenew...Labour_faithful

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.