Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ripped-off Glasgow: Hogmanay Punters, Forced to pay 3 for drinks in plastic cups
Rab-oldname
post 11th Dec 2009, 03:33pm
Post #46

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 10th Dec 2009, 07:16pm) *
Anybody who goes to this fiasco deserves what he gets because they are MUGS, just like the football punters who buy strips and pay a fortune to watch 22 numpties trying to kick a ball.

Canny put it better!Attached Image Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 11th Dec 2009, 06:36pm
Post #47

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
QUOTE (Rab @ 11th Dec 2009, 03:31pm) *
Canny put it better!Attached Image Attached Image

am laughing at your'e new avatar Rb SOOOOO FUNNY TA laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Patter Merchant
post 11th Dec 2009, 07:34pm
Post #48

Super Resident
Member No.: 6,419
This is yet another example of how impotent councillors sit on their hands and fail Glasgow, unwillingly to do anything to stop the great people of this city being ripped-off by multi-millionaires sitting on the boards of the council's ill-thought 'arms-length' companies.

If councillors are to have ANY legitimacy -- not to mention retain a grain of respect -- then they have to start standing up to these greedy multi-millionaires, some of whom are mega-rich former bankers.... and we all know where those imposters took the UK economy. Now they are gleefully leading Glasgow down the same route of greed, more greed, even more greed, then finally in few years.... complete collapse.

Glaswegians need to start getting very angry.... and lazy councillors need to find a bit of backbone, you know, oppose, justify, fight, argue, consult, propose, defend, defeat.... all the kind of things they always say they got into politics to do, but just can't really be bothered with any more!

+Quote Post
wombat
post 11th Dec 2009, 09:39pm
Post #49

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
ph34r.gif
QUOTE (Patter Merchant @ 11th Dec 2009, 08:32pm) *
This is yet another example of how impotent councillors sit on their hands and fail Glasgow, unwillingly to do anything to stop the great people of this city being ripped-off by multi-millionaires sitting on the boards of the council's ill-thought 'arms-length' companies.

If councillors are to have ANY legitimacy -- not to mention retain a grain of respect -- then they have to start standing up to these greedy multi-millionaires, some of whom are mega-rich former bankers.... and we all know where those imposters took the UK economy. Now they are gleefully leading Glasgow down the same route of greed, more greed, even more greed, then finally in few years.... complete collapse.

Glaswegians need to start getting very angry.... and lazy councillors need to find a bit of backbone, you know, oppose, justify, fight, argue, consult, propose, defend, defeat.... all the kind of things they always say they got into politics to do, but just can't really be bothered with any more!

viva za patter. laugh.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
frame
post 12th Dec 2009, 12:05am
Post #50

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,486
Not difficult to understand the high degree of anger here. How long has our people been celebrating the coming of a new year from George Square? I don't think it can be measured in time.
It's part of our heritage. We gather in George Square on that most illustrious of nights to wait for that new dawn, and if we look left or right, back or front, we see only friends. Our own kind, no matter where they have travelled from to get there to that sacred Square, it's a coming together of a people bonded closely by a simple principle, a deep love of thier country.
As I said, not difficult to understand the anger. But maybe the numbskulls in officialdom have a much deeper plan than just making money out of one of our greatest traditions. Maybe there's a bigger picture.
When I read Martin's comment my initial reaction was for boycotting, but when I thought about it I began to wonder if this wasn't the start of a procedure to completely knock our celebrations in George Square off the map.... Don't think we could live with it if they moved in that direction.
I say we continue our celebrations in (our) George Square and if we need to do anything, then as a protest we have our dram afore we go to the Square and perhaps another when we leave. But we don't buy thier over inflated drinks while we are there.

HERE'S TO THE SECOND CITY OF THE EMPIRE AND TO THE GREATEST PEOPLE ON EARTH.

--------------------
speed bonny boat

+Quote Post
Jim D
post 12th Dec 2009, 03:00am
Post #51

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 91
"HERE'S TO THE SECOND CITY OF THE EMPIRE AND TO THE GREATEST PEOPLE ON EARTH" Is this a queue for a song? In the 2nd city of the Empire, Mother Glasgow watches all her weans....... Hue&Cry. lol

--------------------
Jim D

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit - NO man is at all hours wise.

+Quote Post
Jim D
post 12th Dec 2009, 03:03am
Post #52

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 91
In the second city of the Empire
Mother Glasgow watches all her weans
Trying hard to feed her little starlings
Unconsciously she clips their little wings

Mother Glasgow's succour is perpetual
Nestling the Billy and the Tim
I dreamt I took a dander with St. Mungo
To try to catch a fish that couldnay swim

Verse 2 as above

Among the flightless birds and sightless starlings
Father Glasgow knows his starlings well
He wont make his own way up to heaven
By waltzing all his charges in to hell

Mother Glasgow's succour is perpetual
Nestling the Billy and the Tim
I dreamt I took a dander with St. Mungo
To try to catch a fish that couldnay swim

And the tree
And the fish
And the bird
And the bell…

Let Glasgow Flourish!

--------------------
Jim D

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit - NO man is at all hours wise.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 12th Dec 2009, 04:29pm
Post #53

How long has our people been celebrating the coming of a new year from George Square? I don't think it can be measured in time.

My guess is it would be not more than twelve or fifteen years. A more traditional public gathering place for a celebration of the New Year was the Tolbooth at Glasgow Cross.

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 13th Dec 2009, 01:09pm
Post #54

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
I believe this business of organising the Hogmany celebrations was started after the Trafalgar Sq. celebrations got a bit out of hand and overcrowding was becoming dangerous to young and elderly revellers. The PC brigade then was formed and barriers, stewards, etc, had to be employed to maintain crowd control. These had to be paid for - guess who by! I don't doubt this has migrated to other City centre sites. Fair enough, to a degree, but sheer profiteering rip-off like this in Glasgow is a disgrace. mad.gif

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 13th Dec 2009, 04:00pm
Post #55

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
15 quid tae staun freezin yer goolies aff, an three sovs fer sookin the equivelent o an eye drapper oota wan o those shitty plastic cups how i detest those things ,mah da hid ahn auld sayin ahd drink it through a shitty cloot an thats the wie i feel aboot these things . new years eve is ferr drinkin amang yer family an freens if not in yer ain hoose then some cosy wee howf likes o jean gebbies a nice wee inn no far fae me . its like when i used tae go tae they folk concerts my trusty hauf bottle tucked neatly awie in an inside pocket or up mah jook . in the auld days yer allowed oot at the inter mission an there was iwies a pub handy fer a wee tap up an that wie ma misses could get a wee refreshment . this was aw done awie wie an it was left tae the plastic dribble o whisky or what ever ,at prices that wid make dick turpin blush . as fer these rules an regulations where does it end greedy blu**y cooncilors and there get rich schemes ,canny smoke here ,canny park there whit next a tax on odious emmissions fae yer nether regions . my thought fer that night the people revolt barge there wie in withoot peyin addmission go tae the stalls grab o the bottles o booze an hiv a real hoedoon viva ra revolution. mines a black label ,be generous noo ohmy.gif lol

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 13th Dec 2009, 04:31pm
Post #56

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Haha OB, I take it, like me, yer no exactly PC!

Git tore richt intae thum PC nyaffs and gie thum a richt good gubbin. Ah gaot ne time for them theiving, dithering nyaffs that lurk in cooncul oafices, hingins tae guid fur the loat them.

Aye, Dick Turpin wid be amazed at the highway robbery that goes oan these days. Bliddy shameful, wurlds gan dolally. He goat hung fur less.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 14th Dec 2009, 11:45am
Post #57

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
Let me see if I have this right, 15 a ticket and 3 a plastic cup of what you want to drink, plus the cost of getting to and from George Square, and they are suprised they still have tickets left? all that will happen now is that people will turn up drunk and then what will happen? Safety and Security? I don't think so, oh well I'll be going to "Granny Gibbs" in Whiteinch again this year......

+Quote Post
frame
post 17th Dec 2009, 08:51pm
Post #58

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,486
QUOTE (Guest @ 12th Dec 2009, 04:27pm) *
My guess is it would be not more than twelve or fifteen years. A more traditional public gathering place for a celebration of the New Year was the Tolbooth at Glasgow Cross.

Don't know about that. There was a fair crowd gathered in George Square 50 years back when I was a 15 year old. Although not nearly as big a gathering as these days, they still enjoyed the moment, and their own whisky.
Afterwards, on the way home to Gallowgate, our family had to cut across Glasgow Cross. Can't say I ever saw anything that would constitute a crowd hanging about looking up at the Tolbooth. Mind you, I did from time to time see one or two lying down looking up at the Tolbooth. Maybe the got a better view that way.

--------------------
speed bonny boat

+Quote Post
GG
post 17th Dec 2009, 10:36pm
Post #59

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
A wee bit of cheer for Hogmanay revellers from RBS and FirstBus:
First in Glasgow, with support from RBS, will be running a free night service network from Glasgow city centre to get you home after your big night out. From 12:30am until around 4:30am frequent services will operate from the city centre across Greater Glasgow including Lanarkshire, Dumbarton, East Kilbride and Kirkintilloch.

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/scotland/s...manay/index.php

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 18th Dec 2009, 07:10am
Post #60

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
My wife happened to notice a sign at McDonalds in Union Street which stated that they would be open after the bells on New Years day. For goodness sake, can this mob not give their employees time off at times like this? Surely they have made enough gazillions out of everybody else.
I'd prefer a steak pie, sandwiches, madiera cake and ritz biscuits with cheese and pickle held together with cocktail sticks to a greasy burger anyday.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Jan 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.