Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ripped-off Glasgow: Hogmanay Punters, Forced to pay £3 for drinks in plastic cups
Bestie
post 9th Dec 2009, 07:33pm
Post #31

Settling In
Member No.: 6,928
Does the words BAH and HUMBUG come to mind? xXx dry.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
auchenshuggle
post 9th Dec 2009, 07:35pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,409
what a load of old keech, it widni surprise me to find oot yi hid ti bring yer ane bells ti ring either, it`s getting like a cattle market, aw fenced aff an then herded inti the square, ti where yer telt ti go, no where yi want ti go, an huving ti pay fur the privilege!! as others huv said there`s plenty other places ti go. so i hope everybody finds somewhere else an has a bloody guid time. awra best, an hiv wan fur me, CHEERS

--------------------
i saw a coo upon a hill its no there noo it mustve vanished.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 9th Dec 2009, 08:56pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
just read all 3 pages of this thread 100% of posters against it ,wont bother me coz ah live in oz, but ah no a ripoff when ah see wan.they hiv tae take the fun oot of everything dont they?

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 9th Dec 2009, 09:11pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
QUOTE (wombat @ 9th Dec 2009, 08:54pm) *
just read all 3 pages of this thread 100% of posters against it ,wont bother me coz ah live in oz, but ah no a ripoff when ah see wan.they hiv tae take the fun oot of everything dont they?

The soor faced b'astages can try, but we can always make oor ain fun.

Prolly ban that next, "yer no allowed to dae anything.. it's no safe. But if ye piy enough we can overlook the "safety" issues"

Bampots, pure an simple.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
*short shirt*
post 10th Dec 2009, 04:54am
Post #35

This is disgusting. How can a city council charge 15 pounds for people to bring in New Year in a very public place paid and maintained by the citizens of Glasgow. So they have bands....who says the public need bands. I'm sure they are not supplying music that everyone will be happy with. Sad to say I'm feeling more and more at home here in Canada. When are todays politicians going to realise they are servants of the public. Will any of the politicians attending be paying the fifteen pounds and 3 pounds for a drink. Tell them to go and get a life.

+Quote Post
tombro
post 10th Dec 2009, 09:07am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
The sad fact of economic life, these days, is that a profit must be made !

For quite a few years now New Year here has been brought in with a fantastic Fireworks Display on Sydney Harbour. The more popular that display became, the more the bloodsuckers came out of the woodwork to extract their pennyworth to the extent that, this year, even the Local Councils are proposing to charge people entry into Public Parks from where they can view the festivities.

Charges of $25 to $30 dollars have been proposed.

Have I missed something ? Are not Christmas, New Year and Easter the peoples' celebrations. Why do the bloodsuckers feel they have a right to charge us for using our God given sense of sight ? I guess it's because; because we don't have any other choice; they know we will eventually pay for something that should be free !

And our Governments will continue to let them do it !

Tombro rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 10th Dec 2009, 10:12am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
My guess is that the companies who are providing the bar's will have put some pressure on because they will have paid the council for the franchises and want to make some money back. The result of this is that either folk will just not go or, if they do, they will tan their carry-out before going in. The end result is going to be more drunkenness rather than less. Well thought through City Council bar stewards (copyright Billy Connelly) rolleyes.gif I also think they should be willing to give refunds to those who are unhappy with the change.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 10th Dec 2009, 10:57am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I remember when alcohol was first banned at football matches and a mate of mine "injected" a whole bag of oranges with whiskey. Getting through control was a piece of doddle. tongue.gif
But why pay 15 quid + to stand in George Square like herded cattle when you can have a great time going from house to house like we used to do?
I remember waking up one day in what was obviously a young girl's bedroom, like my granddaughter's; all pink and soft toys. When I went downstairs, well hung over, I was greeted by the nicest (posh) family. When I later asked the best way to get back to Blantyre I was told to get a train to Glasgow (where I'd been first footing with friends).
"Glasgow? Eh, where am I?"
"Och you're here in Edinburgh, son!"
Don't ask me rolleyes.gif
The good old days.
Heh you guys, away and enjoy yourselves with friends ... and strangers.
Awra best tae youse yins.

Boycott indeed. Tell them to stuff it.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
*Fraser WIlson*
post 10th Dec 2009, 11:25am
Post #39

These guys just don't get it do they?

Simplest answer is for everybody to stay away..... that would sort them out! We'd only have to do it once and they'd soon change their minds especially when they got no revenue from drink sales !!

+Quote Post
*PAUL DAVIDSON*
post 10th Dec 2009, 12:35pm
Post #40

QUOTE (jcjamieson @ 9th Dec 2009, 06:27am) *
Maybe our councillors should be made to pay for their drinks, hotels, meals etc when they go abroad on their "fact finding" trips.

NO MAYBE ABOUT IT. DEFINATELY!!!

+Quote Post
kerry4652
post 10th Dec 2009, 04:36pm
Post #41

City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,585
QUOTE (Catherine @ 9th Dec 2009, 03:46am) *
People need to start putting their money where their mouth is

Just my opinion.

If it was 70% proof we would just drink five pound notes. And bloody lots of them. HIC!

+Quote Post
*Katherine Goetz*
post 10th Dec 2009, 06:08pm
Post #42

ARE YES AW MAD 15 pounds to stand on the ground that our fathers and grandparents paid for?

GEEZE A BREAK OK there is music, who needs music, Glesca Folk always had singsongs., or is this just for the youngteam? No way would I stand inthe rain or sleet for 15 pounds., and then pay overpriced drinks. NOW HIV A THINK; THEVE GOT U ALL DOWN AS ALKIES, and u can pay their price, if u NEED a drink. Perhaps people will.

GLASGOW SHOULD AND MUST &acute;BE ASHAMED OF ITSELF CITY OF CULTURE, WHIT, WERE A CITY OF ALKIES, BUT WE WILL PROVIDE FOR THEM says the Council. BAMPOTS THE LOT-in my belief they have shamed the Glasgwegians, that they cant control themselves. Dear God why dont they put it on the banner at TImes Sq. in America., our citizens (who are always beeing ripped off) cant control themselves. But we are fixing that, they can buy drink in the Square.

I WISH EVERYONE ON THE BOARDS

AWRA A BEST. A GUID NEW YEAR

And that the Glesca people start to fight back

THAT WAS MY TUPPENCE WORTH

Katherine, born and bred in Glasgow 1943
Living in our twin-city Nuernberg in the south of Germany.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 10th Dec 2009, 07:18pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Anybody who goes to this fiasco deserves what he gets because they are MUGS, just like the football punters who buy strips and pay a fortune to watch 22 numpties trying to kick a ball.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
JBG
post 11th Dec 2009, 02:21am
Post #44

Visitor
Member No.: 4,916
QUOTE (GG @ 9th Dec 2009, 07:02pm) *
You are correct JGB, in that this term usually applies to gamblers (or clients of some professions), however it is gaining more wider usage, I believe. That said, I wanted to use the word "revellers", but that had too many letters for the available headline space!

GG.

Thanks.

And it's "JBG". By coincidence my real-world initials.

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 11th Dec 2009, 03:51am
Post #45

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
Personally speaking, I have always pfeferred to see in the bells at home before doing any wandering. I also don't have a spare 15 quid lying around just to stand in George Square, when I can be there atany other time of year for free.
Now, this idea of charging people 3 quid a head to have a wee drink is outrageous. I mean Deacon Blue were a very popular band maybe 20 or 25 years ago, but they're yesterdays men in terms of pop music. I have the feeling that this will backfire badly and that from now on people will just bypass going to the Square altogether if they feel they are just going to be ripped off.
All of us Glaswegians will have a rerr terr at New Year DESPITE the councillors, and may I wish all of you a great New Year when it comes wherever you may be!
Slanje.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.