Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My First Broken Heart, romance
big tommy
post 3rd Sep 2005, 07:06pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
sad.gif When I was aged 15, nearly 16, I met and fell madly in love with a girl around my age. Her name was Janet D and she came to work beside me in a small workshop in Buchanan Street making lampshades.

She had a very beautiful face, a bit on the chubby side and two inches short of 5 feet tall. She was very conscious of these particular short comingings but I found her very attractive.

Her mother sold flowers and fruit from a stall in Argyle Street.

After a bit of teasing from my workmates I eventuallly found the courage to ask her out. I took her to the Prince's in Gourlay Street in Springburn. We went fot a bag of chips, which I paid for, then I walked her home, all very romantic.

She lived in the Gallowgate in the East side of the City, but she took me up a lane called Little Dovehill to carry on with our "winching". The first few nights I went out with her it was mostly kissing and cuddling, but of course as time progressed from there it became very passionate and extremely intimate. I thought I had found the girl of my dreams and was in seventh heaven.

This went on for about six months, all the way past both our sixteenth birthdays, until one night she suddenly told me we were finished.

Looking back I think that, like a lot of girls, Janet wanted pregnancy and a wedding ring and I would gladly have given her her wish, had it happened.

When I asked her why, she told me that her father had been involved in some crime or other and was now in Barlinnie Prison. To avoid the shame, the family had moved to a house on the the South Side, I think it was called Portland Street. I went out with her one more time but she said we must finish.

I was devastated as only a near 16 year old can be. My heart was broken and I ran home in tears, all the way from the South Side right back the to Cowcaddens where my mother met me with all the old cliches like "Don't worry son, there are plenty more fish in the sea". But I could not be consoled. It was nearly a month before I asked another girl out.

I heard some time later that Janet had died in childbirth aged just 17. So she got her wish for pregnancy, but what a price to pay. I don't think it was mine or she would have contacted me. NO!! It couldn't have been mine . Could it?

I swore after Janet no other girl would ever break my heart and none ever did until I lost my Jean.

Tommy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
ah try ma best
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 5th Sep 2005, 01:44pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
wub.gif When I was aged 15, nearly 16, I met and fell madly in love with a girl around my age. Her name was Janet D and she came to work beside me in a small workshop in Buchanan Street making lampshades.

She had a very beautiful face, a bit on the chubby side and two inches short of 5 feet tall. She was very conscious of these particular short comingings but I found her very attractive.

Her mother sold flowers and fruit from a stall in Argyle Street.

After a bit of teasing from my workmates I eventuallly found the courage to ask her out. I took her to the Prince's in Gourlay Street in Springburn where we saw 'State Fair ',with Dana Andrews and Jeanne Craine . Afterwords. we went fot a bag of chips, which I paid for, then I walked her home, all very romantic.

She lived in the Gallowgate in the East side of the City, but she showed me up a lane called Little Dovehill .where we could do a bit of our "winching". The first few nights I went out with her it was mostly kissing and cuddling, but of course as time progressed from there it became very passionate and extremely intimate.

I thought I had found the girl of my dreams and was in seventh heaven.

This went on for about six months, all the way past both our sixteenth birthdays, until one night she suddenly told me we were finished.

Looking back I think that, like a lot of girls, Janet wanted pregnancy and a wedding ring and and a wee house ,. I would gladly have given her her wish, had it happened.

When I asked her why, she told me that her father had been involved in some crime or other and was now in Barlinnie Prison. To avoid the shame, the family had moved to a house on the the South Side, I think it was called Portland Street. I went out with her one more time but she said we must finish.

I was devastated as only a near 16 year old can be. My heart was broken and I ran home in tears, all the way from the South Side right back the to Cowcaddens where my mother met me with all the old cliches like "Don't worry son, there are plenty more fish in the sea". But I could not be consoled. It was nearly a month before I asked another girl out.

I heard some time later that Janet had died in childbirth aged just 17. So she got her wish for pregnancy, but what a price to pay. I don't think it was mine or she would have contacted me. SURELY .NO!! It couldn't have been mine . Could it?

I swore after Janet no other girl would ever break my heart and none ever did until I lost my Jean.

Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
cathie213
post 5th Sep 2005, 02:46pm
Post #3

Visitor
Member No.: 1,658
Thank-you for sharing Tommy,so sad for the girl, but I dont think any of us forget our first loves,and the heartache it brings, but we have to remember the joy too wub.gif

+Quote Post
ElaineMcFarlane
post 5th Sep 2005, 02:48pm
Post #4

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 897
Hi Tommy

That scenario sounds very familiar, and i'm sure its not just for me.

You really are a big romantic at heart, love your anecdotes, keep them coming.

Elaine wub.gif

--------------------
There are three things everyone should do every day.
Number one is laugh.
Number two is think -- spend some time in thought.
Number three, you should have your emotions move you to tears.
If you laugh, think and cry, that's a heck of a day.

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 5th Sep 2005, 04:37pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Dear Elaine
I was a sucker for the ladies .but always a gentleman .
Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 4th Oct 2005, 09:40pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Dear Elaine
Still am in fact .
Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
Glasgow Girl
post 5th Oct 2005, 01:38am
Post #7

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,419
Wow Tommy...was so engrossed and enjoying your post i didn't see the tragedy coming!

I am full of questions, none of which i can ask here. However, well...gobsmacked and at a loss for words, which is not like me at all!

Just here and yours was the first post i read! Feel like i should go and watch a Doris Day movie now!

GG

--------------------
Triumph is temporary, glory is eternal.

+Quote Post
jakka13
post 5th Oct 2005, 02:51am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,815
Welcome Glasgow Girl,lots of good stuff on these boards to enjoy . Try a visit to Betty 2 always a welcome there ,mind you'll have to take your turn of the stairs.Jakka13

--------------------
Auld but Still Game.

+Quote Post
boots
post 5th Oct 2005, 06:56am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,524
Hiu Glasgow girl, welcome to the boards.Betty's room is a good place to visit like jakka said, you can put your feet up, have a wee cuppa and just relax. Betty leaves the key hanging on a long string inside the letterbox so if nobody's there just fish the key out, open the door an go in. Be sure to put the kettle on 'cause someone else is sure to drop in. Betty's out a lot the days riding around on her motor bike but even she might come by. Maybe you would enjoy coming on our cruise over the rainbow. Just go to the rainbow thread nd pick up your ticket. Will see you there.

+Quote Post
Tori G
post 5th Oct 2005, 08:20am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,927
Awwe that was lovely Big Tommy, how sad, am sure she would have loved to have read this,....ye never know,..ye never know???

That will be very impressionable to Glasgow Girl for her first time on here annawe,..Welcome to the boards,..enjoy enjoy,..tommy's got lots of storys on here.....good on you tommy,

Ps are you going to the Horseshoe bar,..davvyab44 needs some male company.. (and more female company Glasgow Girl, you'll fit right in and what about you Carmella?)
.,,he'll need it. ha ha,...then maybe you can conjure up some story about that.

This post has been edited by vgourlay: 5th Oct 2005, 08:55am

--------------------
Thats what I think anyway

+Quote Post
carmella
post 5th Oct 2005, 08:32am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Tommy, that was lovely and sad at the same time, and after all those years I bet you have often wondered - but you'll never know and that's probably how it is meant toi be.

Thank you for telling us about your first love - the first love is something we just never forget.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 7th Oct 2005, 01:57pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Dear gGasgow Girl
Never bew afraid to ask questions on these boards .
Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
elkhnd
post 8th Oct 2005, 09:11am
Post #13

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,408
Tommy:

Can't compete with your story, but I'll add the name Cindi Johnson to the list of women who broke men's hearts. She was a very dear friend, and probably so much so that we never did manage to find a way to fit romance into it all. We both talked of leaving town once school was over....I did, she didn't.

I've moved on, but I think until the end of my days certain songs, sights, and smells will make me recall her look and smile.

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 7th Dec 2008, 06:51pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,256
Hi Big Tommy, I've came across you in other topics, you are certainly an interesting person as I have mentioned in my other comments, I think it was in Cafes & Restaurants that you were a tenor and won a contest at the Empress(Ah the Empress Tommy great memories ) If you can remember the cafe on the corner of Trossachs St. across from the Blythswood it was owned by Bert Cocozza, my sister used to go with Bert during the war or just after the war did you know that Mario Lanza and Bert were cousins I don't know what year it was but didn't Mario play the Glasgow Empire that,s when I found out I used to try and be a tenor my favourites were Nessun Dorma,Paggliacci, and Dark Lochnigar I hope that you get this All the Best

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 14th Dec 2008, 05:37pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Agnes and Robert, The cafe that you speak of is mentioned many times in the book Night Song Of The Last Tram also the Cacozza family. I myself have some memories of the old cinama the Blythswood and remember ma big sister taking me to see the Thirteen Ghosts, but aha fell asleep during the movie>>> so she says tongue.gif cool.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.