Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

25 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should Begging Be Made Illegal?, Calls for city centre begging to be criminalised
*Guvin Jimm*
post 22nd Jan 2014, 02:02am
Post #16

QUOTE (DavidT @ 21st Jan 2014, 11:59pm) *
I feel for any person who has nothing. It's a shame that scammers take advantage of of this side of human nature. It does not alter the fact that some people have nothing. Jail the scammers not the destitute.

The destitute can turn to the churches, welfare agencies and others ready to "save" people from the streets. This is not a country like many others that see destitution as a common factor in their version civilization. The scammers are what they are; criminals who should be treated as such.
Ban begging now before it becomes institutionalzed as part of the economy. The only beggars I remember in Govan were men who had their legs blown off in foreign wars. And even at that they would play the harmonica or do chalk drawings on the pavement to retain a semblance of pride.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jcjamieson
post 22nd Jan 2014, 02:57am
Post #17

Settling In
Member No.: 1,360
Let's face facts. The whole of Britain has became a dumping ground for bums, terrorists and all the dross that the so called government has landed us with.
The longer we put up with it the worse it will get.
These people do not give a toss for us or our way of life or the standards we USED to live up to.
If we complain we are racist and when we don't they slowly, but surely, take over bit by bit.
At first I felt sorry for them but found out,like many others, I was being conned.
The city center looks like a third world country some days with beggars on most corners.
The tourist buses at George Square are a favorite place for these people.
God knows what our visitors think of the place !

+Quote Post
ARu-999
post 22nd Jan 2014, 03:06am
Post #18

Settling In
Member No.: 25,888
I think I am with the majority of people here in feeling that it should be illegal, I have witnessed a few of these 'poor souls' in Glasgow centre on their mobile phones.
My thinking is that if you can afford a phone, you can afford a pair of shoes.

I now never give money to beggars, and my opinion has changed over the years on the validity of the boy or girl down on their luck, to the feeling that it is more of an organised scam.

I feel it is a pathetic situation that we have allowed beggars from overseas to come here, we have as a country enough beggars / spongers, we really cannot absorb any more.

+Quote Post
Ossie
post 22nd Jan 2014, 03:14am
Post #19

Resident
Member No.: 16,056
QUOTE (DavidT @ 21st Jan 2014, 11:59pm) *
I feel for any person who has nothing. It's a shame that scammers take advantage of of this side of human nature. It does not alter the fact that some people have nothing. Jail the scammers not the destitute.

My feelings exactly . Must be a Govan thing !

Ossie.

+Quote Post
Old Sailor
post 22nd Jan 2014, 03:22am
Post #20

Visitor
Member No.: 4,642
Begging is the product of a disrupted society so before "punishing" beggars we should "punish" the society which engenders begging. To quote Anatole France, "The rich ad the poor alike should be free to beg in the streets and sleep under bridges". I live in West Vancouver, an affluent area, where begging is virtually unseen, however across the bridge in the City of Vancouver a nimber of homeless persons share the streets.

+Quote Post
Freda
post 22nd Jan 2014, 03:26am
Post #21

Unpacking
Member No.: 25,831
Todays begging should be illegal, it is a scam. I live in San Jose, California and people stand at the shopping centers, entrances to the freeways and anywhere else a group of people would assemble, whether it be in cars or on foot. There are many agencies that are equipped to assist those who a less fortunate than you and I and for those of us who want to help, make a donation to the Agency. I have offered to buy food but they refuse because of one thing of another, not all can be allergic, they don't want food, they want money so that they can select what they buy.

+Quote Post
gordonmarr
post 22nd Jan 2014, 04:48am
Post #22

Unpacking
Member No.: 531
I am subjected to aggressive begging by Roma people on a regular basis but when I complained to the police they accused me of being racist, so much for the protection of the law.

+Quote Post
ARu-999
post 22nd Jan 2014, 05:27am
Post #23

Settling In
Member No.: 25,888
Gordon,

If your policeman thinks being hacked off at the beggars you describe is being racist, then I would estimate 99% of the population are racist.

ARU

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 22nd Jan 2014, 05:39am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
My son in-law has a 100 percent cure for begging, whenever he is stopped by a beggar he tells them to "wait right there I will be back in five minutes I have a job for you" works like a charm they are never there when he returns laugh.gif

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 22nd Jan 2014, 07:26am
Post #25

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
Apart from the occasional Big Issue seller, we don't really have many people begging here, in this part of Hertfordshire. I don't really consider Big Issue selling to be begging, not it its original way anyway. Things do seem to have changed but who am I to judge? I don't know what the criteria is to get hold of them.

In London, of course, they are everywhere and Londoners just tend to ignore them. It is the tourists who seem to give to them.

I have been known to give but usually to Big Issue sellers although I recognise that some may not be as needy as they seem. Obviously there are lots of tales of posh cars parked round the corner but I am not too sure about the truth in that.

When in Glasgow recently, early one Sunday morning we were walking down Buchanan St on our way to have breakfast at Cafe Gandolfi and there was a young man selling the Big Issue. He was being "got at" by a group of youths who appeared drunk to me. They moved on when they saw us. A lovely young girl went over and gave him a fiver as we also did. I asked him about the youths (who were not Glaswegian) and he said that he gets a lot of that but just ignores them as it will get him into bother. The lad had what I would describe as moderate learning difficulties and I thought it was enterprising of him to be out there so early on a Sunday morning. I don't always give to Big Issue sellers, I am quite selective but like to think I am a good judge of character.

As long as the beggers don't harass me, I ignore them. Last time I was in Rome, they were much more worrying and (I think) a lot more cunning.

+Quote Post
Ancara
post 22nd Jan 2014, 07:46am
Post #26

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,513
I don't give money to beggars with cups held out in their hands I have in the past bought gloves for beggars but no more after the comments I have read here. I do sometimes give money to people who are busking as at least they are trying to entertain but mostly nowadays I give to the Salvation Army as they are the people who mostly look after street people and god bless every on of them as they are out in all weathers truly helping the unfortunate. Ann

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 22nd Jan 2014, 08:01am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
My words to describe them? Skanky Chancers who sit there putting on the poor mouth in the hope that gullibles give them money for nothing. And that is the big issue,MONEY FOR NOTHING.
Tug at the heart strings of the many who feel guilt at the sight of a barefoot person.
If there were acting awards for beggars Im sure many of Glasgows finest would be up for The Beggars Oscar.
They say its illegal and I know it is but I recall a time when no self respecting beat patrol officer would suffer these chancers on his beat.He would resort to the old Glasgow Ways and Means Act.
"Your no begging here son! Know what I mean?/ now on your way"
If the chancer failed to desist and be on his way a Breach of the Peace would ensue.Clearly the police are now so PC that the old act has been repealed.

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 22nd Jan 2014, 08:24am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
Begging in Scotland is not illegal.

We have no Vagrancy Act.

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
George Brown
post 22nd Jan 2014, 09:06am
Post #29

Visitor
Member No.: 676
At the risk of ''sweeping a short fall of care in our in society under the carpet'' it should be made illegal. But then again by observation of the individuals and music some opt to play and in some cases try to play they are not of this country, and whether by accident or design they chose to come here
I would also like to see in general all begging stopped , by this I refer to many that I would be of professional ability who impose over amplified raucous woodwinds audible from streets away virtually seven days a week, I for one do not like this sort of music or its imposition on me, I stopped visiting the city centre just for this reason but now I find that the group have fragmented and are now playing in various locations that I tend to visit

+Quote Post
Karidian
post 22nd Jan 2014, 09:18am
Post #30

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,682
I think a lot of folk here are unaware of how little support there is for the homeless in the short term. A friend of ours ended up homeless last year after a disagreement with his wife. He was flung out with no money, no bank cards and just the clothes he was wearing which were totally unsuitable even for light rain. There are homeless shelters available in Glasgow but they have limited capacity and come on a first come first served basis. He struggled just to get by in those two weeks while trying to get into the benefits system. Luckily he reconciled with his wife and even more luckily his job was still available when he got back although he did have to accept a final warning.
That said i would be firmly behind any effort to send foreign beggars back to whatever country they originated from. Let them beg there. My wife and mother in law have spoken to Scottish big issue sellers and they have been told that a lot of Scottish vendors are being forced off their patches by foreign gangs who use the big issue as a money making scam. As such i would never buy one from a foreigner.
So, there are two sided to the story. Yes there are a lot of scammers there but there are also those who are genuinely needy. Can you tell the difference Just by looking at them? I had no idea what a poor state of affairs existed for the homeless in this modern Britain with its benefits system until i had to confront it while trying to find and help my pal. I just hadnt thought about it and assumed all those on the streets were alkies or junkies or some such.
Making begging illegal may get them off the streets but wont help those that need it.

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.