Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

175 Pages V  « < 170 171 172 173 174 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Uk Independence Referendum - Brexit, Yes or No on EU membership
Rating 1 V
bilbo.s
post 20th Mar 2017, 12:01pm
Post #2566

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
http://evolvepolitics.com/michael-rosen-ab...utter-nonsense/

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 20th Mar 2017, 11:02pm
Post #2567

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545

Hold on, he's saying that millions of people migrating to the UK in a short time does not contribute towards housing shortages, more traffic and pressures on public services...

LMAO!!!!!

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 26th Mar 2017, 09:22am
Post #2568

Mega City Key Holder
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2...re_iOSApp_Other

I couldn't have put it better myself, as the saying goes.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 26th Mar 2017, 03:16pm
Post #2569

Mega City Key Holder

Doesn't that article contradict your argument for Scottish independence ?

Thats the problem with using Brexit as an excuse for another referendum, the economic, historical, and political arguments used for being out of the UK and in the EU are far stronger for remaining in the UK.
Economic, pfft thats just a given seeing that there is far more Scottish trade across the Scottish border than across the English channel. Who gives a crap that the market is 8 times bigger, theres 27 times the competition and the rUK still buys 4 times as much Scottish produce than the lot of them put together.
Historical, well maybe these 'expert' columnists dont quite get that 270 odd of peace on the mainland beats the 60 years of peace between members states due to the EU.
Political, the UK has shown that they can go to the table and negotiate power transfers to devolved governments (it still needs more imho) while the EU is striving for closer 'integration' AKA the United states of Europe.. Who can argue otherwise, in just over 50 years it went from The European Coal and Steel Community to the EU we have today. Give it another 50 and the members states will become exactly that...States, not sovereign countries.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 26th Mar 2017, 03:36pm
Post #2570

Mega City Key Holder
All these Westminster cuts yet they seem to find millions of £'s to give away to non UK citizens.. A cynic would say what they're doing is buying votes from EU citizens in any upcoming referendum.. No such funds available to those citizens from England, Wales or Northern Ireland( Ireland get freebies though)

Free tuition at Scottish universities for students from the European Union next year, says Education Secretary John Swinney

STUDENTS from the European Union enrolling in Scotland next year will have free tuition throughout their courses, the Deputy First Minister has announced.

Education Secretary John Swinney said the confirmation would give EU nationals “reassurance” amid the failure of the UK Government to confirm rights would continue after Brexit.

The free tuition guarantee is already in place for eligible EU students enrolling this year and has now been extended for those enrolling in 2018/19.

On a visit to Dundee University, Mr Swinney said: “I am proud Scotland is a destination of choice for EU students and I am delighted to give them further reassurance by confirming that support for tuition-free studies will continue for those commencing courses here in the 2018/19 academic year.

“However, the continued refusal by the UK Government to give assurances to EU nationals living in Scotland that their rights will remain in place, ahead of the formal Brexit procedures beginning next week, is deeply concerning.

“EU students will rightly have concerns about any change in their status halfway through a course.”

The announcement was welcomed by Alastair Sim, director of Universities Scotland, which represents principals, who described it as “welcoming and assuring”.

He said: “Since Brexit, we have continually highlighted many of the issues that will impact on higher education and have called for clarity.

“EU students are of huge importance to Scotland and its universities educationally, culturally, economically and as a core part of many important courses.

“It’s right the Scottish Government have given clarity for students who will be thinking about choosing Scotland to learn, study and contribute.”

President of student body NUS Scotland Vonnie Sandlan said the statement would come as a “great relief” to the tens of thousands of EU students currently studying, or hoping to study, in Scotland.

She said: “This provides assurances about not only their student status, but also the positive way they’re viewed in Scotland and a recognition of the great contributions they make and the fact we don’t want to see a decline in EU students choosing Scotland as a place to study or call home.

“Students from outside the UK – be that within the EU, or beyond it – bring immense cultural, economic, and educational benefits to our universities and colleges, as well as wider Scottish society.”

Opposition politicians from the Scottish Labour and Scottish Conservative parties also backed Mr Swinney’s statement.

Liz Smith, the Scottish Conservative’s education spokeswoman, said: “Students and staff from the EU make a very significant contribution to our higher and further education institutions.

“While everyone recognises the complexities of the Brexit negotiations, I hope the UK Government will soon be in a position to give similar guarantees.”

Scottish Labour education spokesman Iain Gray added: “John Swinney was caught out last year holding back an announcement on EU students for a clap line at SNP conference.

“That left universities trying to recruit students without being able to tell them whether their fees would be paid or not, so it’s welcome that he has done the right thing in this case.

“EU students make a valuable contribution to Scotland’s education system, economy and cultural life.”

It affects nationals of other EU countries, including the Republic of Ireland, who plan to study for the whole of their degree at a Scottish university – not exchange students who come to Scotland for a few months on courses.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 29th Mar 2017, 06:35pm
Post #2571

Mega City Key Holder
Tusk might not be happy but I'm ecstatic laugh.gif

'No turning back' on Brexit as Article 50 triggered

Britain's departure from the EU is "an historic moment from which there can be no turning back", Theresa May has said.
She was speaking after Britain's EU ambassador formally triggered the two year exit process by handing a letter to EU Council President Donald Tusk.
A sombre-looking Mr Tusk said it was not a "happy day" for him or the EU.
The European Parliament warned security cooperation was not on the table as it fired its opening salvo in what are expected to be tough negotiations.

In her letter to Mr Tusk triggering Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, Mrs May said failure to reach a trade deal within the two-year time limit could "weaken" cooperation in the fight against crime and terrorism.
But Guy Verhofstadt, the European Parliament's chief Brexit negotiator, said he would not accept any attempt to "bargain" between trade and security, adding: "I think the security of our citizens is far too important to start a trade off from one for the other."
In an interview with the BBC's Andrew Neil, to be aired at 1900 BST on BBC One, Theresa May said on security that she "would like to be able to maintain the degree of co-operation on these matters that we have currently".

On the shape of a likely trade deal with the EU, she said: 'What we're both looking for is that comprehensive Free Trade Agreement which gives that ability to trade freely into the European single market, and for them to trade with us.
"It will be a different relationship, but I think it can have the same benefits in terms of that free access to trade."
Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty gives both sides two years to reach agreement so, unless the UK and the 27 remaining EU member states agree to extend the deadline for talks, the UK will leave on 29 March 2019, a Friday.
At a press conference in Brussels, Donald Tusk held up Mrs May's letter, saying: "We already miss you."
In a brief statement, he said it was not "a happy day" for him or for the EU and promised to begin arrangements for the UK's "orderly withdrawal".
He said the EU's aim in negotiations was "damage limitation" and to "minimise costs" for EU citizens, businesses and member states.
In a statement in the Commons, Theresa May said: "Today the government acts on the democratic will of the British people and it acts too on the clear and convincing position of this House."

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 30th Mar 2017, 07:13pm
Post #2572

Mega City Key Holder

Bloody hell whats with all the snowflakes going into meltdown over what May said in her letter over the UK's security services. The EU is allowed to say they're going to punish the UK with one diplomat allegedly saying "Britain has shot itself in the foot. We intend to shoot you in the other." and yet when May says "In security terms, a failure to reach agreement would mean our cooperation in the fight against crime and terrorism would be weakened,” we have the babies spitting oot the dummy. There are 2 years of negotiations ahead and nothing should be off the table, if the UK is punished by so called 'friends' then maybe the UK should be wary of sharing what it knows about certain things. I hope it doesn't get to that but the twats in the EU should stop thinking they have all the aces and the rest of the cards are marked.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 2nd Apr 2017, 07:19pm
Post #2573

Mega City Key Holder
The Wee Ginger Dug nails it once more!

https://weegingerdug.wordpress.com/2017/04/...pone-of-europe/

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 2nd Apr 2017, 09:50pm
Post #2574

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 2nd Apr 2017, 08:19pm) *

C,mon Bilbo

Tell us how much you have donated to the weegingerdug. It must be a lot because he says he relies on donations to keep him going. As a worshipper of this conman, you surely must be paying him a subscription by direct debi to publish views that you seem unable to express yourself.

I bet he writes the opposite views under another alias. Probably the "bigblacklabrador". The only problem is that it probably folded because the intended readership is not as gullible as you.

Danny Harris.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 2nd Apr 2017, 09:51pm
Post #2575

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 2nd Apr 2017, 08:19pm) *

C,mon Bilbo

Tell us how much you have donated to the weegingerdug. It must be a lot because he says he relies on donations to keep him going. As a worshipper of this conman, you surely must be paying him a subscription by direct debi to publish views that you seem unable to express yourself.

I bet he writes the opposite views under another alias. Probably the "bigblacklabrador". The only problem is that it probably folded because the intended readership is not as gullible as you.

Danny Harris.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 3rd Apr 2017, 11:40am
Post #2576

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (DannyH @ 2nd Apr 2017, 10:51pm) *
C,mon Bilbo

I bet he writes the opposite views under another alias. Probably the "bigblacklabrador".

Danny Harris.

Unlike the MSN who have right wing billionaire owners keeping them afloat bloggers rely on public donations Danny, no one is being forced to pay a penny.

Surely that would be Brittishbulldog Danny? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 3rd Apr 2017, 08:11pm
Post #2577

Mega City Key Holder

Bloggers do not pay wages, if they accept donations though then they should register as self employed and pay taxes

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
wombat
post 3rd Apr 2017, 08:49pm
Post #2578

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 3rd Apr 2017, 12:40pm) *
Unlike the MSN who have right wing billionaire owners keeping them afloat bloggers rely on public donations Danny, no one is being forced to pay a penny.

Surely that would be Brittishbulldog Danny? laugh.gif

NAH M8 corgi yes.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 3rd Apr 2017, 10:28pm
Post #2579

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 3rd Apr 2017, 12:40pm) *

Surely that would be Brittishbulldog Danny? :lol:

Hi Jagz

I never inferred anyone is forced to pay the wee gingerdug anything. I am saying the guy is a conman. He says that to exist he needs donations. Other people go out to work to exist.

Yes, British bulldog would probably be okay for him to use. The only trouble is that we of a much older generation remember when the British bulldog meant much more than a conman's alias. It was used as a propaganda tool to get us through the war. I therefore wouldn't demean myself by attributing that title to the weegingerdug conman.

Regards

Danny

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 4th Apr 2017, 02:00pm
Post #2580

Mega City Key Holder
Does this make you Britnasties on here proud to be British? Don't even bother answering, the question is rhetorical!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3238483/kelvi...over-gibraltar/

Once a scumbag, always a scumbag, but this moron is abusing the privilege. The Sun has really excelled itself! The only good thing is that most of its punters cannot read. There is no hope for a country whose press is in this disgusting state.

--------------------

+Quote Post

175 Pages V  « < 170 171 172 173 174 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.