Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

1470 Pages V  « < 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scottish Independence, About voting yes/no
Rating 4 V
carmella
post 12th Dec 2019, 06:31pm
Post #21691

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
QUOTE (caltonjock @ 12th Dec 2019, 04:37pm) *
There exists in Scotland a small group of Ultra Unionists who were originally the foundation of the group – Scotland in Union

This group was highlighted in a leaked Email which provided contact details for a few people and a message from their erstwhile leader telling them to keep their plans very strangely secretive.

You see, these ultra unionists have a plan – this plan has been going on for a year or so thus far and it is this – They take it in turns to Blitz every single newspaper every week with dozens of letters about their opinions on just how TERRIBLE life in Scotland is under the dreadful SNP.

And these people are being published in many of the mainstream newspaper letters pages very successfully…The Editors seeing the same names popping up all the time are patently complicit in this.

On twitter that one chap – Keith Howell of Peeblesshire had around 20 “Letters of the Day” published – some gaining 50 from the likes of Barrhead Travel.

https://caltonjock.com/2019/12/11/scotland-...pace-with-them/

Yes and I have seen it. One thing I will say about Nicola Sturgeon is that she is an excellent campaigner for what she believes in. I actually think she is head and heels better than all of the other leaders!😩

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 12th Dec 2019, 06:59pm
Post #21692

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (carmella @ 12th Dec 2019, 06:31pm) *
Yes and I have seen it. One thing I will say about Nicola Sturgeon is that she is an excellent campaigner for what she believes in. I actually think she is head and heels better than all of the other leaders!😩

I can't believe i'm saying this twice in the same day but yet again i'm in complete agreement with you Carmella. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
carmella
post 12th Dec 2019, 09:19pm
Post #21693

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 12th Dec 2019, 06:59pm) *
I can't believe i'm saying this twice in the same day but yet again i'm in complete agreement with you Carmella. ohmy.gif

TWICE indeed, well you need to make a rare visit to GP and ask for Carmelladrenalin! Best treatment for shock and works fast, living in Scotland tae’n’ awe, means it’s free👍👍👍😜😜

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 13th Dec 2019, 12:04pm
Post #21694

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
I am concerned that as the proposed merger between Labour and the SNP to form a government, has been scuppered, the UK is going to be thrown into turmoil.

My fear is that the SNP is going to go down the same path as the Catalonian politicians. Rather than let the UK get on with leaving the EU in an orderly fashion, before starting the process of an orderly Independence referendum, the SNP is going to be disruptive.

I hope I am wrong.

Surely they SNP has to inform the Scottish people, what currency we will be using, what arrangements will be made regarding our armed forces. Will the Scottish Government be responsible for continuing the payment of State pensions? Or will it be the UK government continues with the payment of pensions, but freezes the amount paid to Scottish pensioners at the level the pension was at Independence Day? The Scottish Government would then top up the difference.

Then there is the big question of the border controls. So if we apply for EU membership, that becomes a big big issue.

Perhaps when the Scottish electorate is faced with the reality of what EU membership brings when you border a non EU member country, the prospect of EU membership will not be appealing.

The SNP seems to be putting much emphasis on Scotland being a member state of the EU. If Scotland becomes an independent country, isn’t it ironic, the driving force behind this achievement, finds it needs to be in the EU? I think the dictionary should redefine ‘Independence’.

Danny

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 13th Dec 2019, 02:48pm
Post #21695

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (DannyH @ 13th Dec 2019, 12:04pm) *
Surely they SNP has to inform the Scottish people, what currency we will be using, what arrangements will be made regarding our armed forces. Will the Scottish Government be responsible for continuing the payment of State pensions? Or will it be the UK government continues with the payment of pensions

If Scotland becomes an independent country, isn’t it ironic, the driving force behind this achievement, finds it needs to be in the EU? I think the dictionary should redefine ‘Independence’.

Danny

Wow, it didn't take you long to get over the Westminster GE Danny, while us younger ones take a moment to catch our breaths you're off on the Indyref2 trail.

You voted YES in 2014, so you either knew the answers to these questions or you didn't care, so what was it?

I'd love to hear you telling the Germans, French, Italians, Swedes etc that their countries aren't independent. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
caltonjock
post 13th Dec 2019, 03:29pm
Post #21696

City Key Holder
Member No.: 26,386
DannyH An answer to your concerns.

Establishing an Independent Scotland

Whitehall mandarins, Unionist politicians and their Luddite supporters will tell you it will be a long and torturous process over many years and it must be this way because the relationship Scotland has with the rest of the UK is too complex to untangle in a shorter period.

But if Czechoslovakia could be split up in six months in 1992, why should the process of establishing an independent Scotland be such a hardship?

https://caltonjock.com/2019/12/09/scottish-...d-be-well-able/

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 14th Dec 2019, 09:55am
Post #21697

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,884
I don't know about Czechoslovakia, but perhaps there were clear dividing lines, less integration and with possibly less at stake then deals were easier to strike.

An equally important and far from answered question (though you wouldn't think so) is how closely integrated to the EU does Sturgeon want Scotland to be and how long after the process of leaving the UK will it take for Scotland to rejoin the EU?

Looks like at least 10 years before those questions can be answered. If I'm still taking an interest by then, I'd want Scotland to be a full member of the EU, but that's not as straight forward as some would have us believe. Plus, as part of the EU would an independent Scotland get a better trade deal with the UK (our closest and biggest partner) ?

Who knows.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 14th Dec 2019, 10:42am
Post #21698

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
The only Luddites are the SNP ,its they who want to smash the Union.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 14th Dec 2019, 11:50am
Post #21699

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 14th Dec 2019, 11:42am) *

rolleyes.gif tuff titty laugh.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 14th Dec 2019, 12:14pm
Post #21700

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 14th Dec 2019, 10:42am) *

Say's the Luddite who smashed the EU.

You really should think before you post DJ. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 14th Dec 2019, 03:40pm
Post #21701

Super City Key Holder
Maybe you try that,most of your posts are puerile attempts at humour.
p.s. we are still in the EU and you are still a citizen of the UK for at least
another couple of years.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 14th Dec 2019, 04:49pm
Post #21702

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (caltonjock @ 13th Dec 2019, 03:29pm) *
DannyH An answer to your concerns.

Establishing an Independent Scotland

Whitehall mandarins, Unionist politicians and their Luddite supporters will tell you it will be a long and torturous process over many years and it must be this way because the relationship Scotland has with the rest of the UK is too complex to untangle in a shorter period.

But if Czechoslovakia could be split up in six months in 1992, why should the process of establishing an independent Scotland be such a hardship?

https://caltonjock.com/2019/12/09/scottish-...d-be-well-able/

Hello Carltonjock.

I am trying hard not to be disrespectful towards you, but see this message you have posted in the first paragraph? Well this is one of the reasons that Labour got gubbed. The people in the North of England didn’t swallow the propaganda similar to what you have just posted. They voted on their own personal experiences. Just because some so called informed people keep spouting, doesn’t mean the public is swallowing it.

Your reference to Czechoslovakia is selective and a bad choice. It was one of the reasons that World War 2 started. The UK government and other European governments tried to appease Hitler by using Czechoslovakia as a bargaining chip to avoid war, but it back fired on them

Many Czechoslovakian citizens lined the streets to welcome the German troops. I saw this at a children’s Saturday afternoon matinee.

Then there was the break up of Yugoslavia. Remember Bosnia?

I am not arguing against another Independence referendum. It is the timing.
You cannot deal with two issues, Independence and departure from the EU simultaneously.

In my opinion, we get the severance from the EU dealt with first. Once we are out of the EU, then the issue of Independence can be addressed. As far as I am concerned, Nicola Sturgeon wants to disrupt the UK’s departure from the EU.

Danny

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 14th Dec 2019, 08:22pm
Post #21703

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 14th Dec 2019, 03:40pm) *
Maybe you try that,most of your posts are puerile attempts at humour.
p.s. we are still in the EU and you are still a citizen of the UK for at least
another couple of years.

You should try humour DJ, so you admit we're still part of the UK, so you'll be a Luddite before we are? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 14th Dec 2019, 08:25pm
Post #21704

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (DannyH @ 14th Dec 2019, 04:49pm) *
Hello Carltonjock.

" I am trying hard not to be disrespectful towards you"

Danny

It never stopped you replying to me Danny. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 14th Dec 2019, 09:16pm
Post #21705

Super City Key Holder
NIcola Sturgeon in 2014

"My pledge today to every citizen of our country is simple but it is heartfelt.

I will be First Minister for all of Scotland.

Regardless of your politics or your point of view, my job is to serve you."

fast forward to 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS4kaxRJYqU

+Quote Post

1470 Pages V  « < 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th Feb 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.