Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

39 Pages V  « < 37 38 39  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scottish Fitba, Not necessarily Celtic or Rangers
ashfield
post 16th Mar 2020, 10:38am
Post #571

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 13th Mar 2020, 02:42pm) *
Nothing would surprise me anymore Ash, i mean the Wales v Scotland rugby match is going ahead tomorrow so whats the difference, we would have had around two and a half thousand tops tomorrow against Alloa FFS. angry.gif

Actually on the 3.00pm news the Wales V Scotland game is now off, now all we need is public transport, shopping malls, shops, churches, parliaments etc etc to be cancelled or closed. yes.gif

JAGZ, it does look like the season is over for Scottish fitba (assuming they don't resort to shove ha'penny or Football Manager to finish it). I've read and listened to the many pundits arguing their case and it seems to me that the least worst solution would be naming those teams at the top champions, promoting as normal and having no relegation for one season. It would mean bigger leagues for at least one term so that could be a problem in terms of the number of games. There may also be contractual issues with broadcasters and league sponsors so it might not work, not to mention whether all the clubs survive the financial crisis.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 17th Mar 2020, 09:01am
Post #572

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (ashfield @ 16th Mar 2020, 10:38am) *
JAGZ, it does look like the season is over for Scottish fitba (assuming they don't resort to shove ha'penny or Football Manager to finish it). I've read and listened to the many pundits arguing their case and it seems to me that the least worst solution would be naming those teams at the top champions, promoting as normal and having no relegation for one season. It would mean bigger leagues for at least one term so that could be a problem in terms of the number of games. There may also be contractual issues with broadcasters and league sponsors so it might not work, not to mention whether all the clubs survive the financial crisis.

You may well be right about the season being over Ash.

However, that will open a huge can of worms, and not just for Scottish football, and let's be honest, Rangers will never accept Celtic winning the league when it's still mathematically (although highly unlikely) for them to catch up.

And what about the cups, and also who plays in next seasons European competitions?

I would like to see a restructuring of the leagues though and get rid of this monotonous playing each other four times a season, three leagues of 18 playing each other twice home and away, yes it would mean bringing in another 10 clubs from the Lowland, Highland and maybe Junior leagues, but some of those clubs are better supported than some of the existing league clubs.

I can think of one club in particular who may struggle to survive financially. wink.gif

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 27th Mar 2020, 01:29pm
Post #573

Mega City Key Holder
My TV listing for tonight says the BBC Scotland channel is showing Arbroath v Partick Thistle huh.gif Wish they were tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 27th Mar 2020, 05:58pm
Post #574

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 27th Mar 2020, 01:29pm) *
My TV listing for tonight says the BBC Scotland channel is showing Arbroath v Partick Thistle huh.gif Wish they were tongue.gif

I could go up the loft and get my Subbuteo out. laugh.gif

Another weekend when the Jags didn't get beat. wink.gif

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 27th Mar 2020, 06:07pm
Post #575

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 27th Mar 2020, 05:58pm) *
I could go up the loft and get my Subbuteo out. laugh.gif

Another weekend when the Jags didn't get beat. wink.gif

I got my first Subbuteo in 1962, there was no marked pitch so we played on the floor carpet. It was great except I kept kneeling on the players and snapping them wacko.gif I used to dig the broken bit out of the base and restick the remaining bit of player back. Eventually it was like having a team of wee Jimmy Johnstones tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 27th Mar 2020, 07:46pm
Post #576

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Cant remember the name of the game we played.
There were two goals and and goalkeepers that moved on a lever.
The teams were different coloured tiddlywinks, the ball was a white tiddlewink That was passed from player to player using a bigger 'flipper' tiddlywink.
Great game it kept four boys relatively quite for hours on end.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 27th Mar 2020, 08:38pm
Post #577

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 27th Mar 2020, 06:07pm) *
I got my first Subbuteo in 1962, there was no marked pitch so we played on the floor carpet. It was great except I kept kneeling on the players and snapping them wacko.gif I used to dig the broken bit out of the base and restick the remaining bit of player back. Eventually it was like having a team of wee Jimmy Johnstones tongue.gif

It was around 67/68 we got ours, my Dad bought me Partick Thistle (which started my love affair with the Jags but took me a bit longer to eventually come over from the dark side) and my Brother got Stoke City, we had a pitch from a game called Newfooty which almost identical to Subutteo, and yes, we had a tube of UHU glue standing by for injuries. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 19th Apr 2020, 05:17pm
Post #578

Mega City Key Holder
See they're suggesting football could continue with players wearing face masks. That would certainly make Scottish fitba more attractive laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
zascot
post 19th Apr 2020, 05:25pm
Post #579

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Watched a few games recently, played like they had blindfolds on not masks.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 22nd Apr 2020, 06:37am
Post #580

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 19th Apr 2020, 06:17pm) *
See they're suggesting football could continue with players wearing face masks. That would certainly make Scottish fitba more attractive laugh.gif

The SPFL should have been wearing masks when they robbed the Jags of our Championship place. yes.gif

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 22nd Apr 2020, 07:45am
Post #581

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 22nd Apr 2020, 07:37am) *
The SPFL should have been wearing masks when they robbed the Jags of our Championship place. yes.gif

SPFL? Was it not the players and management that did it huh.gif

I still think they should have done what I suggested earlier, promotion going ahead, no relegation for one season and 4 down 2 up next season. Not a great solution but the least worst in situation of nobody's in footballs making.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 22nd Apr 2020, 01:43pm
Post #582

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 22nd Apr 2020, 08:45am) *
SPFL? Was it not the players and management that did it huh.gif

I still think they should have done what I suggested earlier, promotion going ahead, no relegation for one season and 4 down 2 up next season. Not a great solution but the least worst in situation of nobody's in footballs making.

The SPFL proposed it and the clubs voted it through, a great chance to reconstruct the leagues and do away with the ridiculous scenario of playing each other four times a season gone. [font="Arial"][/font] angry.gif

+Quote Post

39 Pages V  « < 37 38 39
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Oct 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.