Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Old Street in Townhead, What was the name?
Rating 5 V
klingon
post 15th Feb 2012, 04:43pm
Post #76

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
Jeeze I recognise some of the names on this!-there was a Kirwan in my class in St Mungos primary and I recognise the name Paul Avery as well-could only have been 50 years ago or so!-used to play on the steam cranes at the power station at night-fires were still lit and we used to stoke them up again with coal from the coal ree and get them chuffing away!-naewhere tae go with them though!

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Steven B*
post 16th Apr 2012, 03:02pm
Post #77

QUOTE (Jill C @ 6th Nov 2009, 01:03pm) *
We are currently trying to research our family tree, I see that your dad's parents' lived at number 19 Martyr Street Glasgow as our grand parents did in the 1920's-30's? and our dad was born. Their names were Thomas and Helen Hamilton (nee Joynes) and had five children. If you can give me any information about them or any surviving relatives you may be aware of we would be very grate ful Many thanks.

My email address is jilliancole@googlemail.com

I am also looking for some information regarding Helen Hamilton (nee Joynes), 19 Martyr Street, Glasgow.

From what I can gather, Helen was married to a Thomas Hamilton in 1923. From the above quote, I see she had 5 children with Thomas.

In 1934, Helen married again, this time to a George Dayer (my great-grandfather). She went onto have another 7 children with George.

I am trying to piece together Helen's life prior to meeting George and any information would be greatly appreciated.

Some more info on Helen:

Parents: Albert Edward Joynes and Annie Charlotte Grace Joynes (nee Goddard).
Born: 1901
Lived: 19 Martyr Street.

If anyone has any information, please email me: steven.beattie@hotmail.com

Many thanks!

+Quote Post
*albascotia*
post 12th Dec 2012, 02:46pm
Post #78

QUOTE (Allan D.Sim @ 25th Jun 2006, 06:35pm) *
You may be correct at the road name. According to an online map which I seen today, it was St Mungo's Street. I was not far away with Taylor/Weaver Street vicinity! They are just south of this. Just wondering, does Bartholomew have online maps? I have some where in my room an earlier Glasgow map and the Kingston Bridge is "under construction". Regarding a further search either online or tying Mitchell Library or visiting area, I cannot be sure of other street name. The link to old map i looked at is: http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map/townp...w_2_centre.html . Hope this assists.

taylor st
s stanhope st
glebe st
barony st

+Quote Post
cathy52
post 7th Apr 2013, 08:00pm
Post #79

Super Resident
Member No.: 11,625
QUOTE (john scott @ 25th Apr 2010, 10:58pm) *
I lived at 135 parson st the pub at the corner of parson st & stanhope st was the parsons rest> I think it would be the closest to the 90,s

i am trying to find any info on a james kelly-patricia kelly who stayed at 135 parson street in 1956. they were witnesses to my aunts wedding. sad.gif

+Quote Post
**Pat doyle**
post 1st Oct 2013, 04:00pm
Post #80

Klingon was the Kirwan in your class Thomas he is my second cousin from
Garden St of Taylor st. your servant Pat Doyle formerly Montrose St. 113.

+Quote Post
klingon
post 26th Nov 2013, 08:55pm
Post #81

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
QUOTE (292 kennedystreet @ 8th May 2010, 10:06pm) *
[size="6"][/size] I can remember the playpark also the taxi garage trying to think what it was called before patons took it over I stayed in 292 kennedy street next close to the mcmillans what about the lister street bowling green.

I seem to remember it being called Douglas taxis-(after the phone prefix DOU which was what all the swells with phones dialled for a taxi!)

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 27th Nov 2013, 05:39am
Post #82

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (dave @ 17th Nov 2008, 02:20am) *
anybody remember baird st before the motorway got constructed.black st playpark, taxi garage,the polis canteen ,that clinic?, gleebe st , we lived at 9 baird st[attachment=13133:baird_st_1962.jpg]

The sawmill on the right was Frasers Sawmill, working there was the first job I had on leaving school the box's on the pavement were made from wood from the 'Box Shop' this was when there was still a demand for wooden box's, at that time their main customers for wooden box's were the whisky distillers, the rest of the building was the sawmill part of the company with the the space all the way down to North Wallace st being taken up with stock.

On the corner of North Wallace st and Baird st was the company head office with more wood cutting machinery inside the building so it was a big company that was lost to Glasgow when the motorway was built as it moved to Grangemouth.

Best job I ever had, everybody was the same age 15 or 16, stupid and it seemed as if we were getting paid to play in between wee bits of working. biggrin.gif thumbup.gif
Only reason I left was because a promised apprentiship never materialised

At the left hand side of the photo just outside it was the wee corner shop where we used to buy our buttered rolls on ham in the morning.

I lived at 66 Black st at that time and that 'clinic' was 67.

Loved the old toonheid.

+Quote Post
*davie144*
post 26th Jan 2014, 11:44pm
Post #83

Hi

My dad came from McAuslin Street. His name was William Ramsay and he had a brother James & sister Margaret.

+Quote Post
Onyir
post 20th May 2014, 10:41pm
Post #84

Visitor
Member No.: 8,800
QUOTE (Margaret Harley @ 20th Aug 2010, 04:02pm) *
I lived in Montrose St. Went to st Mungos Primary. I see they have changed the name of Montrose St to Allan Glen Drive or something like that. Mr Cherry's shop was on Cathederal St. beside the coblers and the licenced grocer we spent our thrupence pocket money on penny lollies and sweets in Mr Cherrys and in Taylor St. you could get a penny's worth of crisps, she would open the bag and make a cone out of paper and fill it with crisps for a penny.For sixpence you could get a bowl of peas in the café and put lashings of vinegar on them - yummy. Black St swings had a big slide. I loved Townhead it was full of nice people.

+Quote Post
Onyir
post 20th May 2014, 10:46pm
Post #85

Visitor
Member No.: 8,800
Hi Margaret, I lived in Montrose Street up the next close to you. I've just written a book about the Townhead called Parly Road on Amazon Kindle. I have also set up a Facebook page called Johnboy Taylor The Glasgow Chronicles 1 that has lots of photographs relating to the story. Don't know if you'll receive this, but hope you do. Regards, Ian Todd.

+Quote Post
*james kelly*
post 14th Jul 2014, 06:44pm
Post #86

QUOTE (albageorgia @ 18th Jul 2010, 02:17pm) *
I lived in glebe about 1963/4 street right across from fanny blairs paper shop, ah think it was number 86, just along from my close you had a barber shop, it had one of them red and white stripe poles above the shop, then there was a bookies on the corner of glebe street and macaslin street, ah kin remember looking in the bookies and seeing tony m marking the board, me and my pals used to play waw ay, [thats how it was pronounced] against st mungos chapel, there was an arch in the wall and it is still there today, i went to st davids, then the city public, we used to go to the red rooster for oor pie chips and peas some dinner times, i was in the BBs 23rd brigade, there used to be an old guy who would sing in the back courts on a sunday afternoon and some people would throw money out of their window , I think there might have been a pawn shop in the corner close of macaslin street, ther was a doctors in glebe street as well just up from the broons pub, when you went in to the doctors you had to say who,s last so as you would know when you were going to see the doctor, when the townhead was gettin demolished ah moved to the ranza,

I stayed in 86 Glebe street 2 myself and two brothers we were the Kellys next door to old Masella. We went to St Davids and city public! And we used tae play football agaisnt St Mungos chapel at the arch and the polis used tay chase us haha! smile.gif

+Quote Post
*thomas gallagher*
post 1st Dec 2014, 12:12am
Post #87

QUOTE (james kelly @ 14th Jul 2014, 07:01pm) *
I stayed in 86 Glebe street 2 myself and two brothers we were the Kellys next door to old Masella. We went to St Davids and city public!
And we used tae play football agaisnt St Mungos chapel at the arch and the polis used tay chase us haha! smile.gif

Thomas Gallagher I was born in Townhead in 1939 at 44 Glebe St next door to Maggie Smiths shop across from St Mungo,s Primary on the corner across from St Mungo,s Chapel there was a shop that repaired Check Machines on the opposite corner was a chemist on to Parson St there was three garages and the candy ball shop on the other corner was Cappacinis Chip Shop the Blacks paper shop and Johny Blairs who made fruity drinks a butchers then a pub.In the Primary school there was a big water tank for the fire brigade We left in 1955 as our building was condemned.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 1st Dec 2014, 05:18am
Post #88

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (thomas gallagher @ 1st Dec 2014, 02:29am) *

Thomas Gallagher I was born in Townhead in 1939 at 44 Glebe St next door to Maggie Smiths shop across from St Mungo,s Primary on the corner across from St Mungo,s Chapel there was a shop that repaired Check Machines on the opposite corner was a chemist on to Parson St there was three garages and the candy ball shop on the other corner was Cappacinis Chip Shop the Blacks paper shop and Johny Blairs who made fruity drinks a butchers then a pub.In the Primary school there was a big water tank for the fire brigade We left in 1955 as our building was condemned.

And I am sure I used to play in the air raid shelters that were left over from the demolition until they also were pulled down

+Quote Post
lianmy
post 1st Dec 2014, 07:33am
Post #89

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 103
Thomas Gallagher my dad was born in the house at 44 Glebe in 1923 and so were both his brothers and his sister. My Granny's family moved there when she was young. My Granny and Grandad lived in 65 Glebe St next door to St Mungo's boy. Quite a few of my Granny's family lived in Glebe St. My Granny's name was Murray and her married name was McFarlane.

+Quote Post
johnkerr52
post 12th Nov 2016, 12:46pm
Post #90

Settling In
Member No.: 33,082
QUOTE (peachey @ 20th Dec 2010, 02:14am) *
Hi jandyjaws great to hear you remember alex and henry but no me???lol
ah was to busy runnin around the midgie bins causin trouble..
however can you email me regarding the foto sportsat@hotmail.com
also henry and alex are both fine hes still playin 12 string and alex is some times playin the trumpet
take care any pix most welcomed..

hi there peachey my name is john kerr i went to the boys brigade with your brothers alex and henry in the barony north church i remember your dads shop in cathedral street we stayed at 68 rottenrow and went to townhead primary and then city public secondary and ronnie houstons house was on collins street , my wee granny stayed in morrin sguare which looked onto the townhead primary i miss the old townhead days when neighbours were real neighbours not like now hope your family are well peachey my email is johnleekerr@yahoo.co.uk if you get this will like to hear from you -regards -JOHN KERR.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Jun 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.