Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Andrew Family Tree, Looking for Andrew Family
hughandrew
post 13th Nov 2008, 02:10am
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,217
I am Hugh Andrew, age 62, living in Ottawa Canada. I am pursuing the Andrew Family tree and find that there were numerous relatives in Maryhill and around Glasgow during the period 1850 through to the first world war. I am looking to connect with possible relatives. If you know of any Andrew, particularly if they are in the Maryhill area, would you please ask them to contact me. I have the family tree back to William Andrew, b. Monkton 1788 and his wife Helen Dykes, b. Mauchline 1781. There are relatives in Maryhill / Glasgow after them and, I believe, before them.

Contact through andrewfamilytree@gmail.com

Thank you for any support you may be able to offer.

Don’t worry if there is an “s” on the name. My grandfather had one put on his name when he joined the military and left it on until he retired. I suspect others got tired of correcting others as well.

Sincerely,

Hugh Andrew
Tel: 1 613 236-5087
Skype ID: hughjandrew
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 13th Nov 2008, 08:08pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 15
Hugh, the only Andrew I know in our family was my Aunt Flora's husband, Bob Andrews. Note the 's' a the end. They lived in Dobbies Loan which was off the Garscube Road. Bob worked on the ships that sailed from the Broomielaw to Ireland. They had a large family but I have not kept in touch with any of them.

My daughter, here in the US, has Andrews as her married name but the name was changed when her father-in-law emigrated from Lithuania and the clerk at Ellis Island couldn't pronounce his name so she shortened it to Andrews.

I need help locating the deaths of my father's parents. Problem is that I dont know where to look. Those on the GG that know how to make their way around geneology are very generous with their time.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 14th Nov 2008, 02:20am
Post #3

The "s" is not a stopper. My grandfather had someone put an s on his name when he joined the UK military. He left it on for his whole career and then dropped it when he retired. I think there are more who give up correcting others when they add an s.

There were Andrew who were seamen out of Glasgow/ Port Glasgow and I believe that I am close to making a breakthrough.

Thanks for your reply.

+Quote Post
kmacc
post 14th Nov 2008, 10:25am
Post #4

Resident
Member No.: 185
Hi Buntyq there was a John Andrews who married a Flo Millar
and they lived in Dobbies Loan, they had a son called Raymond
John died a long time ago but Flo still lives in Partick

+Quote Post
Gemini
post 14th Nov 2008, 01:23pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 193
Bunty my daughter did the geneolgy thing and she got a lot of help from the Mormons here in the States, try them.

+Quote Post
*ron andrew*
post 1st Feb 2009, 05:55pm
Post #6

Hi Hugh
Just found your listing, my name is Ron Andrew originally from Maryhill (left 1960 aged 12, which makes me 60 now) My dad Robert Andrew hailed from the Gorbals and was one of 11, his dad was Hugh Andrew and my granny was Sarah. Don't know if there is a family connection but my dad's brother John emigrated to Toronto about 1957.Be interested in your reply.
The ' s ' not on the end of our name sure made it interesting growing up especially when your middle name is usually your mothers maiden name!

+Quote Post
*bweidner*
post 29th Mar 2009, 02:26pm
Post #7

hi i am 10 yearls old and my name is brad weidner but my mums name is lynne andrews and there is a person called Richard Andrews that use to be the mayor of southhampton in 1849 1850 1851 and 1856 hope this helps biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 3rd Jun 2009, 06:44pm
Post #8

Hi, My name is Dean Andrew, and my family are based in north Wales. Grandfather was a miner and a methodist minister: Percy Andrew

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 6th Jul 2009, 09:52am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,256
QUOTE (hughandrew @ 13th Nov 2008, 02:10am) *
I am Hugh Andrew, age 62, living in Ottawa Canada. I am pursuing the Andrew Family tree and find that there were numerous relatives in Maryhill and around Glasgow during the period 1850 through to the first world war. I am looking to connect with possible relatives. If you know of any Andrew, particularly if they are in the Maryhill area, would you please ask them to contact me. I have the family tree back to William Andrew, b. Monkton 1788 and his wife Helen Dykes, b. Mauchline 1781. There are relatives in Maryhill / Glasgow after them and, I believe, before them.

Contact through andrewfamilytree@gmail.com

Thank you for any support you may be able to offer.

Don’t worry if there is an “s” on the name. My grandfather had one put on his name when he joined the military and left it on until he retired. I suspect others got tired of correcting others as well.

Sincerely,

Hugh Andrew
Tel: 1 613 236-5087
Skype ID: hughjandrew
My Wife knew an Andrew Family in Fernie St., I think this was backin the early 50s and maybe the 40s as well, I think they moved to Sunnylaw St. We met one of the Sons in Hamilton Ontario back in 1966, I think I met him in the British Imperial Club, my Wife's name was Agnes Cissie HODGE 42 Fernie Street

+Quote Post
*Mervin*
post 18th Feb 2012, 09:15am
Post #10

I am Mervin Andrew in South Africa. My father was John William Andrew and his father was Alexander Andrew who studied medicine at Glascow university. The parents of Alexander Andrew were John Andrew and Agnes Andrew (nee Wilson) of Tarbolton Ayr.

Alexander Andrew was born in 1868 at Montgomere St Tarbolton.

Thanks

Mervin Andrew

+Quote Post
*John Moodie*
post 9th Jan 2014, 11:50pm
Post #11

QUOTE (Mervin @ 18th Feb 2012, 09:15am) *
I am Mervin Andrew in South Africa. My father was John William Andrew and his father was Alexander Andrew who studied medicine at Glascow university. The parents of Alexander Andrew were John Andrew and Agnes Andrew (nee Wilson) of Tarbolton Ayr.

Alexander Andrew was born in 1868 at Montgomere St Tarbolton.

Thanks

Mervin Andrew

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Nov 2014

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.