Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

12 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Executions, For murder in glasgow
Rating 5 V
**jimmy**
post 1st Feb 2011, 02:51am
Post #136

re: James Denovan and Anthony Miller.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/ab...-dying-1.677064
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*chrisd*
post 2nd Nov 2011, 08:22am
Post #137

QUOTE (chakota100 @ 15th May 2009, 05:22pm) *
Hi Lynn,
I came across this topic when researching my family tree. My Father was called Harry Harris who is the brother of paul. Which in turn means i am related to you. Can you respond to this please as i have no other way to contact you.
Many Thanks ......... Harry

+Quote Post
*chrisd*
post 2nd Nov 2011, 08:45am
Post #138

QUOTE (chakota100 @ 15th May 2009, 05:22pm) *
Hi Lynn,
I came across this topic when researching my family tree. My Father was called Harry Harris who is the brother of paul. Which in turn means i am related to you. Can you respond to this please as i have no other way to contact you.
Many Thanks ......... Harry

hi harry and Lynne....... I am a friend of Paul Harris jnr... I have his permission to contact you as his internet down just now..... I can be contacted at CHRISTINED1959@hotmail.co.uk and will pass on any messages directly to him, otherwise he can be contacted at his own email address harris.paul112@googlemail.com but cant guarantee fast response
cheers
christine

+Quote Post
Makora
post 29th Jan 2012, 12:16pm
Post #139

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,362
QUOTE (Lynne Smith @ 27th Sep 2010, 07:40pm) *
Finally I have found the information about grandfather John Barclay Smith's murder by Joseph Hume in 1907. The murderer looked like a vagrant and was a deserter from the HLI (what is HLI?). They both lived in Lhanbryde. John B. Smith was a road contractor, and was originally from Aberdeen. He lived in a ground-floor flat, and the family upstairs reported a strange smell coming from below. Hume was arrested a few days later. A number of suspicious characters were arrested in Keith, Elgin etc., but police felt the assailant could possibly have got a berth on a fishing boat. Grandfather John was found by the police laying on his bed with his head smashed in by a heavy mash hammer found laying near to the bed. The murder had taken place a few days earlier. Hume was a labourer, and ex-soldier, and was sentenced to death by Lord Kincaid-Mackenzie at the High Court of Justiciary, Aberdeen. Hume was executed at Inverness prison on March 5, 1908, and the prison bell was rang 15 minutes prior to and 15 minutes after the execution and a black flag was hoisted immediately after the execution. The rope used was procured 19 years prior for another murderer, but his sentence was commuted to life. Pierpont was the executioner, and a year or so later he was fired for being drunk on the job. Grandfather John was not living with his family and had been seen drunk on various occasions. It has been quite a journey finding out all these things, but my search is not ending just yet, because I think it is important to know WHY did this happen, what circumstances led up to the murder, did they know each other?

Lynne Smith

+Quote Post
Makora
post 29th Jan 2012, 12:52pm
Post #140

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,362
QUOTE (Lynne Smith @ 23rd Sep 2010, 02:44am) *
My husband's grandfather John Barclay Smith was murdered by Joseph Hume at their home village of Lhanbryde, Morayshire, Scotland. Joseph Hume was subsequently executed (hung) at Inverness Prison in 1908. This much is all the family know of this travesty. John Smith's son, my husband's father immigrated to Canada, and did not share this with anyone, not even his wife. When he was dying of cancer in 1969 was when he finally briefly told a member of the family that his father had been murdered, with absolutely no details. Of course, the usual speculation followed. I feel strongly that it is the family's right to know what happened, but all I can find is the occupation of the accused and the victim, who the hangman was, and that he had been sentenced at the High Court, Aberdeen, by Lord Kincaid-Mackenzie. Believe me, I have researched a long time and cannot find any details as to what happened, why was John Smith murdered? Also, John Smith's son said he was around 4 years old when this happened, so the date of execution would mean the murder took place around 1902 or so, so if Hume was not tried until 1908, what happened in between? Mind you, my father in law was dying of cancer, and was on a lot of medication, so that could possibly explain the wrong age being given. It would be a wonderful blessing if someone can tell us what happened!

Thank you Sylvia "Lynne" Smith

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 29th Jan 2012, 11:27pm
Post #141

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Hi Lynne....The HLI is the "Highland Light Infantry"a Scottish Regiment who were normally stationed in Glasgow I believe..... and Pierpont was a very well known executioner...sad story.

+Quote Post
*wildrover220*
post 7th Mar 2012, 04:29pm
Post #142

There's a new ebook out that details the lives, crimes and demise of the 10 men hanged within the walls of Barlinnie Prison. It's called Ghosts of Barlinnie. Bought it for Amazon Kindle - not sure if it exists in any other formats but it is a good read. I found the stuff about their time in the condemned cell most interesting.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghosts-of-Barlinni...k/dp/B007HL1CSE

+Quote Post
*June Evans*
post 2nd May 2012, 07:20pm
Post #143

QUOTE (ninab @ 7th Jul 2009, 07:53am) *
I forgot to mention also that another cousin of mine!!! Henry Forbes was also convicted of murder. He killed his mother Annie Forbes but I am almost sure he was put into a mental prison!! It also happened in Glasgow.Do you know of his case? He killed her with an axe because (I believe) she wouldn't lend him any money!!

I remember my mum telling me years ago about my (uncle) not sure if they were married who's name was forbes who killed his mother with a axe because she wonld'nt give him any money for a bet on the horse's i was wondering if this is the same one, my auntie's name was jessie and she had two children john and jackie.

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 3rd Jul 2012, 10:28am
Post #144

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
My late father was on a jury who found a person guilty and sentenced to death. My dad never spoke about it until nearer the end of his life but I would assume it was prior to my birth in 1942 and as my dad was born in 1908 i would think the trial may have been somewhere between the late 20's to the early 40's. He only passed away a couple of months ago i wish now i had asked him more about his early life

------------------------------

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
*Anne Symons*
post 11th Jul 2012, 05:47pm
Post #145

QUOTE (william campbell @ 22nd Apr 2009, 02:54pm) *
Hi Gayle , My names William Campbell And John was my dads brother and his mother was Lizzie Lyons she stayed with us till she died on 2nd december 1972 at 7.30 in the morning it was a Saturday i was 15 at the time I remember it like it was yesterday she was a brilliant nanna we all lived in Alloa and Johns picture was above her bed he had an army uniform on I don't know the full story but i was told he went out with his 2 brother in laws and they were at the bus / tram station John was 17 at the time and they met a sailor and a fight broke out the sailor was stabbed and died but by the time they went to court he was 18 it was one of the brother in laws that stabbed him Johns wife was seemingly having an affair and she stood up in court and said she seen John do it so he was found guilty. After John was hanged lizzie had a nervous breakdown it took her years to get over it. I dont think she ever did . If you read this Gayle you can contact me at williamcampbell11@hotmail.com or if anyone knows Gayles e.mail address could you please send it to mine would be very much appreciated.

My mother Margaret Crosbie was married to John Lyons who was hanged for murder in Glasgow 19 the 1940's. Please can anyone help me to find out more information. My Uncles who were with him are now both dead as is the rest of my mums brothers so apart from the stories from my mum, I have no factual information. I have seen some comments on here previously advising that John was innocent and my mum and her brothers always maintained this was true. I know the reasons why John took the blame. My mum loved him and talked of him right to the end of her life in 1997.

Please can anyone direct me to where I can get further information from.

+Quote Post
martinjmurray
post 21st Jul 2012, 11:34am
Post #146

Visitor
Member No.: 962
Hi I have picture of your mum and her brothers from William. They lived in Gorbals and Govanhill, Cumberland Street and Jamieson Street in Govanhill, which is close to where I used to live.
Some of the latter street still stands, the former was demolished in 1960's and is unreconisable today.
There were three convicted but two were reprieved, only John was executed, first since 1928 and first at Barlinnie. I used to be on the vistining committee there so can advise the Hanging cell was demolished in 1998 and D hall is totally revamped.
Any help from a family point of view would be useful to try to get balance in my research.
The guy who died was a demobbed sailor who lived inn Carrick street hostel, again now demolished. He had only been demobbed recently. Seems his brother was a member of the local gang.
He had 20+ injuries so one person could not have done it. John was apparently the one who said your boy's over there and threw away a bayonet. He had previously been a coal miner in Alloa near where I now live.
martinjmurray77@hotmail.com for anyone who can help. Intention is to finish research publish and pay royalities to Victim Support and families of murder victims.

+Quote Post
campsie
post 21st Jul 2012, 01:23pm
Post #147

Super Resident
Member No.: 8,874
QUOTE (Guest @ 21st Feb 2004, 03:51am) *
Hi Martin
The bodies at Duke St & Barlinnie were buried in lime pits so don`t know if there would be much leftI believe the names were on a wall in the prison don`t know if they are still there.
The Lyons case was a gang fight in Argyle St.Lyons got executed Rennie done 9 years Alex Crosbie done 10 years& was released in 1956 ,lyons was his brother in law

The book I have is Enclopaedia of executions by John Eddleston
interesting to note that no executions took place in Scotland Between1928& 1946

Well there was WW11 from 1939-1945 that could account for those years being free of executions.

+Quote Post
martinjmurray
post 22nd Jul 2012, 11:48am
Post #148

Visitor
No there wqere those sentenced but commuted. One of who m was a woman in Abderdeen who killed a girl and tried to make it look like rape.
The last execution in Duke Street was George Reynolds who killed a friend for his job in a bakery!
Allegedly the names of those executed via initials were still on the bit of Duke Street Prison wall still standing. Personally having been and looked I've never seen them.
Maybe urban legend or 50+ years of weather on Sandstone.

+Quote Post
martinjmurray
post 22nd Jul 2012, 11:50am
Post #149

Visitor
QUOTE (June Evans @ 2nd May 2012, 08:35pm) *
I remember my mum telling me years ago about my (uncle) not sure if they were married who's name was forbes who killed his mother with a axe because she wonld'nt give him any money for a bet on the horse's i was wondering if this is the same one, my auntie's name was jessie and she had two children john and jackie.

+Quote Post
martinjmurray
post 22nd Jul 2012, 11:51am
Post #150

Visitor
No doubt he killed her. However I've no record of a murder conviction so maybe culpible homicide or after 1965 so not within the area I'm researching.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.