Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone Remember Craigend Castle Zoo?, Leisure/Holiday Memories
*Iain Hunter*
post 26th Oct 2015, 11:10am
Post #16

Can't really add much to what has been recorded here, but I do remember visiting the zoo with my parents - I think more than once, and on the way there, having the remains of the monorail pointed out to me. Often wondered why the monorail idea never took off, but I was inspired to follow this up after treading that a California company is building something similar in Tel Aviv! What goes around comes around.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*William kennedy*
post 21st Aug 2016, 09:52pm
Post #17

QUOTE (deejay @ 13th Nov 2013, 07:32pm) *
Hi Jean.
Just came across your post re Craigend zoo, I met Henry years later at his brother Ian,s stag night ,he was a very nice guy , very capable despite his obvious "difficulty". A lot of people think I was making that story up, I started to wonder myself !!

+Quote Post
*Robyn*
post 6th Sep 2016, 02:04pm
Post #18

Hi All,

I was also looking for information regarding the zoo and specifically the elephant. I have heard a rumour that my grandfather may have bought the elephant and walked it from Mugdock to the docks along with the elephant's keeper. Does anyone know anything about this? Was it reported in the local press, as I would like to obtain copies of the news stories if so?

Many thanks

+Quote Post
**Karen**
post 21st Jan 2017, 06:00pm
Post #19

QUOTE (Alison dunlop @ 15th Sep 2015, 10:14pm) *
Hi Recently walked around Mugdock Castle, and Craigend Castle. Really saddened, to observe its in such a state of disrepair. CRAIGEND CASTLE.

I wished there was something within the community or funding or any financial support that could be provided to. Help save what is left or rebuild part or all of it. As it would attract visitors to area.

It once was a beautiful building, with beautiful interiors and interesting past with the zoo and Charlie the elephant.

Surely someone would want to maintain what is left or put to good use.
There is the West Highland Way close by, surely could be used to facilitate something, like a bunk house or museum or even a wildlife sanctuary/ nature reserve. Any suggestions?

I think a family member of mine use to take care of the grounds, whilst it was the zoo. And resided there. Sandy Marshall, back in the 1970's as a child. As then it was not a country park. Or in obviously such disrepair. I and my friends played there.

Hi everyone!

Wow, I am please to see a discussion about Criagend castle. My name is Karen, I am from Tasmania, Australia and my ancestors lived there (built the place). My great, great, great grandfather was James Smith of Craigent. I believe great great great great grandfather John had a house there and then James had the castle built. We have our family history books here at home and they talk about Craigend. I know my great, great aunt Agnes really wished the family could have bought the place back, she was the Countess of Buchan at the time, so not sure why she didn't buy it. I have just watched a video of it, the state that it is in now, and it is really sad. Does anyone know if anything can be done in order to restore it? any sort of financial funding, or fundraising? I have a poem that my great, great grandfather Charles wrote to his sister Agnes the Countess and it was when he had to leave Craigend (gamblers in the family lost it) and it is very moving, from the poem you can feel how much the place meant to my family. I can try scan and attach here if anyone is interested. Love to hear any thoughts or see any pictures if anyone has any! I have one or two in my Grandmothers trunk, I can also attach here if requested. Thanks! Kind Regards, Karen.

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 22nd Jan 2017, 03:16pm
Post #20

QUOTE (Iain Hunter @ 26th Oct 2015, 11:10am) *
Can't really add much to what has been recorded here, but I do remember visiting the zoo with my parents - I think more than once, and on the way there, having the remains of the monorail pointed out to me. Often wondered why the monorail idea never took off, but I was inspired to follow this up after treading that a California company is building something similar in Tel Aviv! What goes around comes around.

Mono rails have never reached potential anywhere in the world. Sydney is at present demolishing an extensive white elephant that circled the inner city and was a total unused eyesore. The Japanese built a linear expansion elevated monorail that was workable but didn't. If they are, as you say, contemplating one in Tel Aviv, I can only surmise that it is some kind of scam as said city does not lend itself to constructs of that sort.

+Quote Post
**daniel**
post 6th Dec 2017, 09:19pm
Post #21

I tried to purchase this 3 years ago and restore it with simplified interiors over several years but they haven't agreed even though I was the only party to offer to, Im trying again to purchase it as it has still been left to deteriorate, this is such an impressive detailed building.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th Dec 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.