Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

17 Pages V  « < 15 16 17  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do You - Did You - Have A Pet?, Tell us about the wee character here
Rating 5 V
TeeHeeHee
post 19th Sep 2017, 05:09am
Post #241

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Don't I know it Ken.
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 19th Sep 2017, 05:09am
Post #242

Mega City Key Holder
I was surprised on Sunday when I did a search of the side garden. I figured if I had my own dog I'd install a sand box and teach him to use that. Bonnie's daddy, the other Detlef, said that the only trouble with that is that they'll be looking for sand to do it in when they're out anywhere and the only other sand I know around here is on the Rhein tongue.gif
Talking of Bonnie, Mary and I dropped her car of last night for that Detlef to get it's MOT done today. Bonnie was surprised to see me and went mad asusual but when we left to get ino my car and closed their garden gate behind us leaving Bonnie on the other side ... I've genuinly never seen a dog's face show pure disappointment before now but I saw it there.
You learn something every day.
Mind you, I've never before given Bonnie grounds to be disappointed ... She probably thought: Was that it? No chicken!
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post Y'day, 07:41pm
Post #243

Mega City Key Holder
Shortly before Christmas last year we said goodby to Bonnie.
She'd had a good run and had given me years of `adventure' learning all the local Black Forest mountains and their many paths, log cabins and BBQ fireplaces; much to the delight of family and friends who come over to holiday from the aaauk.
We knew her time was running short, she suffered incontinence, had three strokes and near the end had dementia: her owners brought her out to me in the back of their car and she had no idea who I was ... until after I'd beeen cuddling her for 5 minutes I guess her sensory perception kicked in again and she showed me that the penny had dropped and she recognised me by nuzzling me in her usual fashion.

Months before Bonnie died (at sleep on her rug at home) Mary was looking through facebook animal shelter sites to see what she could find to adopt. We'd never had a dog of our own in the years we've been together because we'd always had cats and some of them were not `dog friendly' - especially our `Old Maus; who'd had the tenacity to attack Laika and Benny when I first brought them both into Mary's yard. I'd never known a cat before which would simply take on two German Shepherds without fear and with no thought of the consequence: but the Maus, who lived to be 25 years old, was one of the very first of the domestic breed of the Norwegian Forest cat, so his genes were still strictly unmixed.

Mary found a wee dog called ... DYLAN ...I know: don't remind me rolleyes.gif ) and this wa the image she saw:-

Attached Image

Mary fell in love with a Rumanian rescue dog ... but I wanted a bigger animal than that; a Shepherd.
Those of you in love with a beautiful woman know the rules: We chose Dylan to be our dog.
Which was a wise decision because this little dog, we found out by research, is a Carpartan Shepherd mix which lends to his high intelligence ... but the `mix' made him 20cm shorter.

We later found the girl who first found Dylan; 250 km from the shelter to which he was eventually taken (and learned the story of why) These were the first pictures she had made of him where she found him ...

Attached Image

Attached Image

After a while and during his new life with us we found out so much that added to his history encouraging Mary put it all together in a small video to celebrate his first full year with us on 6th October 2019 which we send to the people who found him, cared for him, gave him shelter and helped us give him his firdt and last permanent home.

... to be cont.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wombat
post Y'day, 08:14pm
Post #244

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
tongue.gif meanwhile back in oz laugh.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
taurus
post Y'day, 09:09pm
Post #245

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
loved reading about your pets,and seeing Wombats "spoiled brat " ,I love dogs,I always said if all the people in the world were like my beautiful Staffie (dead years ago),there would be no wars. Live and let live,said Tiger,unless you were a cat ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
wombat
post Y'day, 09:53pm
Post #246

Mega City Key Holder
huh.gif "spoiled brat"indeed tut tut, "hey wombat"another cushion please tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wombat
post Today, 12:30am
Post #247

Mega City Key Holder
tongue.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post Today, 12:40am
Post #248

Mega City Key Holder
Dylan's Story: .. continuation

On the completion of his first year, on the Saturday 5th October, at 3 1/2 years old, Mary had finished editing this video which she'd put together to celebratye Dylan the Vilain's new life with his new found home, his best friend Damon the Demon (the Huskey) and ... having bread with butter on it. laugh.gif

when he was in the shelter run by a lovely lady called Mirela Mia, her husband would bring baskets of bread end-crusts which the dogs would polish away in no time at all. So when Dylan came to us we always gave him the end of a fresh bread loaf which we'd started and he'd take it to his rug in the living room and eat it there - until I gave him the crusts from the bread I'd been eating and he discovered ... BUTTER

Now if there's no butter on his crust he spits it out at my feet until I butter it then he takes it to his rug laugh.gif

https://youtu.be/1qesBkApfP4

Dylan has played in the River Rhine, been through the Woves Canyon in the Kandertal valley, followed deer trails on the Tullinger mountain a 10 minute walk from the house. He has chased, unsucessfully, after crows and run with deer in the local fields 5 minutes from here: he is from herder stock.
He runs like a whippet for short 50 meter bursts slowing down to a trot before galloping back to me when I call him.
He met Damon, a neighbour's dog (with whom he'll share a food dish together and a water dish together although Damon is the bigger by 50% mass) as a result of both of them being attacked seperatly within 3 days of each other by an uncontrollable African Ridgeback which had Dylan by the throat till I managed to prise its jaws loose. Three days later it had Damon's face in its mouth leaving him with a few scars.
I'm not sure how dogs communicate with each other but since then they have formed atwo dog pack and really do practice fighting tactics. Damon taught Dylan how to go for the hind legs which he practices often. The next time they saw the Ridgebackk they were virtually shoulder to shoulder facing him off as he came to them with full throttle from two fields away but we humans took control of the situation before one of our dogs, game as they were, got seriously hurt: I held them both back while Damon's pappa ran to the Ridgeback hurtling rocks and scoring a couple of times.

We all agreed that both dogs, especially Dylan the Vilain, were full of life but in Dylan's case that became the understatement of the year.

The week before we celebrated his first year we took Dylan to the vet to get his jabs up to date, rabies etc.
He aslso got a worm-cure tablet to be administerd 2 days after the jabs. When we gave him his tablet on that Saturday morning he later threw up in 5 places across the living room carpet. I put him into the garden while I cleaned up but he wasn't looking in any good shape.
We put it down tom a reaction to the jabs coupled with the tablet.
Later, Jasmin, our neighbour, and her daughter came to pick Dylan up to take hoim to the fields with Damon: these two girls absolutely dote on Dylan, who reciprocates with fervour.
I told them that Dylan wasn't feeling to good and why and we agreed if he wasn't up to an hour's fun with Damon the girls would bring him back.

Shortly after, Jasmin rang me to say that Dylan had lain down, lifeless; on the ground by the mais field and she'd try to cvarry him back.
At 21.7 kilograms that's a bit of weight to struggle with when you're holding it in you're arms but in spite of being told to wait till I got there the brave Jasmin did try. She managed twice 50 meters and putting him down again then she saw me.With her help I got Dylan across my shoulders and we headed home.
We took him to a vet on weekend service but she couldn't give us a diagnosis but agreed the tablet might have been the cause. Another couple of injections and he seemed OK again, which was a big relief to us all but we still didn't know why he'd reacted so badly.
On the mMonday we took him to our own regular vet for blood testing.
The reults came last Thursday - so three days ago.

To repeat the understatement, Dylan is full of life ... and it's all in that great little heart of his.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Spoiler Alert
The next post contains the horrifying details

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post Today, 05:03am
Post #249

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
a man walked down our street every morning with his 2 German Shepherds (cross) a he and a she. Our Tiger wanted to make the she his one true love but the he had other ideas,so from then on we had to keep Tiger away and safe from the boy dog. we thought he had an aversion to shepherds,but another man had the most beautiful shepherd which he walked every day over the headland. This big dog had a fancy for our wee dog,"Ben" ,a bloke,who thought our wee dog might be a nice mate in the biblical sense ! he came home evry day with blonde hairs on his back,we laughed and said to the owner why don`t you get Ben desexed,he said he was done years ago. Not a succesfull op obviously.

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 15 16 17
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.