Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

85 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Asylum Seekers Face Glasgow Exodus, Breakdown in government deal causes crisis
GG
post 14th Nov 2010, 11:19pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Up to 1300 asylum seekers currently resident in Glasgow could be forced to leave the city as early as this week after the UK Border Agency (UKBA) said it would no longer pay Glasgow City Council to house them. The dramatic move follows a breakdown in the deal, currently worth almost 10m annually, which saw Glasgow take tens of thousands of asylum seekers since 2000 under the UK Government's asylum dispersal scheme.

The Home Office last week cancelled the contract with the city council to house and support asylum seekers because, it claims, the council sought an increase of almost 50% in the funding over two years from the government body.

According to one Glasgow MSP, Anne McLaughlin, asylum seekers had already received letters instructing them to prepare themselves for relocation to other areas in Sotland outside Glasgow.

Ms McLaughlin said:
"I have been contacted by teachers, support workers and asylum seekers all desperately worried by this news. This happened only on Friday and already asylum seekers are getting letters telling them to pack two suitcases ready to leave Glasgow.

Their children are settled in school here and they are just to be plucked out of their communities and sent away. Further disruption will also be caused to those receiving medical help for physical and mental health needs. Many are single mothers with young children who now have to settle somewhere else.

I am shocked at the way people are being treated and call on both sides to get back to negotiations instead of needlessly disrupting the lives of children and families."

In an unexpected twist to the stand-off between the government agency and Scotland's biggest local authority, an un-named 'senior political source' told The Herald over the weekend of their suspicion that the Home Office wants to reduce overall numbers of asylum seekers in Glasgow because of the public outcry when they are removed.

The source said:
"Over the years we’ve had the Dungavel protests, the Ay family, the Glasgow Girls, Precious Mhango, and the demonstrations about the dawn raids. This doesn’t happen elsewhere in the UK and you’ve got to ask whether it is less hassle for UKBA to have Glasgow’s asylum seekers elsewhere."

A Glasgow City Council spokesman said:
"It's a matter of great regret that the UKBA has terminated its contract for the council to receive asylum seekers. Asylum seekers have brought welcome diversity to the city and added new life to many of our communities.

We have made numerous attempts to renegotiate the contract since numbers fell below contractually accepted levels but the UKBA has refused to accept our position. We can't subsidise another public body as they seek to fulfil their legal duties. A local authority would be acting beyond its powers if it did so."

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 14th Nov 2010, 11:28pm
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
If you wish to comment on this story please remember that asylum seekers (and their families) are some of the most vulnerable members of our society. Please be considerate and respectful in your comments, mindful that many of these very unfortunate people are fleeing unspeakable horror in the countries of their birth.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 15th Nov 2010, 12:53am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Ive just watched an 18th century TV drama called Garrows Law involving a case (I believe based on fact) where a large number of slaves from Africa were thrown off a ship because they were costing too much.
Then I read this report and it looks as though the people caught in the middle of this situation are being treated in a similar manner and being uprooted,I assume before their asylum applications have been processed for financial reasons.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 15th Nov 2010, 12:55am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I don't know the political ins and outs, or the local feeling, of the asylum seekers billeted in Glasgow but my own feelings are that if families are given asylum in Glasgow and have nestled into their communities with their children attending schools then they cannot be blamed for feeling that the City of Glasgow is caring, and being responsible, for them.
The City of Glasgow should maintain it's care for these families.
Glasgow should go to the line with the Home Office on this.
Just an opinion of course.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Jazzsaxman
post 15th Nov 2010, 01:42am
Post #5

Visitor
Member No.: 8,324
The votes say what the majority think.

+Quote Post
weebren3
post 15th Nov 2010, 05:48am
Post #6

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,440
I believe,yes under bad area's of the world should be given safety in any part of the country of scotland,just as long as they begin with our own poverty,health issues and people who are in need of jobs etc. Then maybe we could give more of ourselves to help with needs.I dont no of any in Glasgow who would not care to give the shirt off there backs to lend A hand. It is A touchy subject and I wish everyone well with the outcome.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 15th Nov 2010, 06:17am
Post #7

I used to stay in Glasgow for about 2 years. Now I am in my own country China. I think for those bad-areas people, they should have more jobs to do. It is better for them to make their own lives instead of raised by the council. What do you think?

+Quote Post
irrie
post 15th Nov 2010, 08:25am
Post #8

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
Surely these families esp.childrens lives have been disrupted enough if they were led to believe that hey could settle in Glasgow or anywhere else for that matter then thats the way it should be. If the powers that be want to make different rules for new settlers thats different but to make kids leave their schools and pals is just plain wrong in my opinion

+Quote Post
boots
post 15th Nov 2010, 08:34am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,524
I agree with what Tee hee hee has said and don't think I have anything to add except to say I am disgusted that people are being used as pawns in a standoff between two levels of government.

PS Thank you THH

+Quote Post
jcjamieson
post 15th Nov 2010, 08:37am
Post #10

Settling In
Member No.: 1,360
I agree with you all the way ! Britain is too soft believing all the sob stories and granting asylum.
I'd get rid of the lot of them. We have too many of our own waiting for houses and needing help but it seems to make the Government and Council feel like saints giving "the poor asylum seekers" houses, benefits and all that's going.
As soon as they settle in they seem to want to implement the laws they had supposedly fled from to be implemented here!

+Quote Post
Melody
post 15th Nov 2010, 08:48am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
I think that this is absolutely shocking. Many of these families are already well settled with children in school. Many of these children and young people have already suffered unspeakable horrors in their own countries and are very high academic achievers they are a credit to their families. Whatever happened to big hearted Glasgow, I'm ashamed to have this done in my name. We are watching the destruction of all that is good in our country in this current climate. A current climate which is not the fault of the ordinary person in the street.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 15th Nov 2010, 09:23am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I completely agreed with your sentiments Melody, is it just a coincidence that this issue coincides with the demolition of the Red Road flats where many of the asylum seekers are housed?

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
**red rooster**
post 15th Nov 2010, 09:36am
Post #13

Why was the council asking for an increase of 50% from a government who are heavily in debt?

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 15th Nov 2010, 09:50am
Post #14

Sorry, charity begins at home.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 15th Nov 2010, 10:01am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
I wouldn't be at all surprised Ash. This so called government are capable of anything.

+Quote Post

85 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.