Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Councillor Plans To Axe Children's Fruit, Blow to health and wellbeing in Glasgow
GG
post 29th Aug 2010, 08:11pm
Post #16

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (ladihelen @ 29th Aug 2010, 04:07pm) *
Papers to-day say the EU are involved as the Scottish Parliament got the cash (or were about to ) from them. Only Westminster say they would dock 3/4 of that money as they have to pay the EU for the SP borrowing it or have I read it all wrong ...

Hi Ladihelen,

I read that article (in the Sunday Post?) after I wrote this story. I believe the Sunday Post article, 'SNP go bananas at EU free fruit clawback', relates to a Scotland-wide initiative which is separate from the Fruit Plus programme started (to its very considerable credit) by Glasgow City Council. Other local authorities have looked at the success of Fruit Plus and some have initiated their own free fruit schemes, while the Scottish Government recently applied for EU funding but later withdrew its application after it emerged that the Westimnster Treasury would clawback 72% of any money granted by the EU.

The Sunday Post article is not available online, however, a PA news article covering the same story can be viewed here:

http://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news/national/re..._fruit_1_985339

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
michael
post 29th Aug 2010, 08:25pm
Post #17

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,676
I’ve always believed school children should receive all meals FREE, that includes milk, orange juice and a fruit.

If Councillor Matheson wants save money then let him take a tough stand with his cronies who are STILL taking from the taxpayer. In my opinion, there are far too many 'extravagant' councillors on Glasgow City Council wasting money on their expenses and office supplies etc. Maybe the councillors could take pay-cut, that way the children could still have their fruit. If he does take the fruit away, we all can show him and labour how we feel at the next election.

+Quote Post
*fefe55*
post 29th Aug 2010, 08:26pm
Post #18

The usual "Dick Turpin" style, rob the poor, give to the rich...

Why am I not surprised? Hell mend the A"%^S who voted this load of swines into power, obviously, Thatcherism was forgotten on polling day, now we are landed with them for god only knows how long.

I have no time for polititians, councillors, MP's etc, I think that they are just a bunch of human parasites who feed on others misfortunes and promise you everything to get a seat, then conveniently forget that you got them there, should be like a job, with a 13 week trial, if you dont live up to what you promised, you should be fired.

+Quote Post
GG
post 29th Aug 2010, 08:30pm
Post #19

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
I found an interesting quote on the Fruit Plus initiative from a headteacher of a Glasgow primary school. In 2006, when the free fruit initiative provided its 40 millionth piece of fruit to Glasgow school kids, Headteacher Evelyn Gibson of Saracen Primary in Possilpark described how the scheme had educational as well as health benefits.

Pre-empting George Brown's comment above, Ms Gibson said:

"The programme is backed up with a curriculum pack for teachers to use.

As well as learning about the nutritional benefits of individual fruit they learn about where they are grown and how they are harvested. It has been a fantastic success. Some pupils were unsure about what a melon was and when they were given kiwi fruit for the first time most didn't know what to do with it.

We have found out parents and children have been discussing diet and health more at home since the programme began."

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 30th Aug 2010, 05:52am
Post #20

Why is it my responsibility to feed other people's kids?

+Quote Post
Melody
post 30th Aug 2010, 07:39am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Well Guest you presumably are a member of the human race that's why. In order for the human race to survive we have to take responsibily for each other and if some of us are in need then it's your duty as a member to help provide where possible for those in need. Unless you want to live on a desert island then you can fend for yourself.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 30th Aug 2010, 08:11am
Post #22

The scheme to give fruit to school children in Glasgow is not currently confined to "needy" areas of the city.

A large proportion of my taxes go to help the needy in our society and I believe that to be right and proper. I do not need my taxes to be used to provide fruit for children whose parents can well afford to provide for their own off-spring.

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 30th Aug 2010, 11:21am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 54
QUOTE (Guest @ 30th Aug 2010, 07:54am) *

This is the problem we have in our society. ‘I’m all right, why should I worry about anyone else’ – ‘The Tory way’

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 30th Aug 2010, 12:20pm
Post #24

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
QUOTE (Guest @ 30th Aug 2010, 07:54am) *

After what the Government has done to the pension funds, these kids that are at school now are going to be paying our Pensions.

+Quote Post
michael
post 30th Aug 2010, 12:43pm
Post #25

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,676
Roll on election time, we can save money by getting rid of people like Matheson for good.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 30th Aug 2010, 01:15pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Michael,get rid of Mathieson by all means but who or what will replace him and where will the newcomers get the money from?
The country is mired in debt and Im sure that there is worse to come,far worse that a child not getting an apple or an orange.
I think this will pale into insignificance when the forthcoming budget is made public.
I recall one report pre -election that basically said that the next government elected(Turns out to be the Coalition) will only last the one term because of the unpopular decisions affecting every person in the country which will have to be made.Im due a concession ticket in January but Im no holding my breath.
Cheers,
Joop.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 30th Aug 2010, 04:40pm
Post #27

The problem we have in our society is that we are breeding a culture of dependence. This inevitably corrodes any spirit of enterprise or work ethic. By all means let us help those in genuine need but in the austere times to come we need to get our priorities in order. Let us limit our assistance to those who need it and not dole out fruit, free meals or milk to those whose parents can afford to provide for their own children.

+Quote Post
benny
post 30th Aug 2010, 06:34pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
Ah've been hearin prophecies of Britain's impending doom fur the past 50 odd years. Frae Anthony Eden's prophecy that Britain wid be ruined by losin the Suez Canal, tae dire warnings aboot the stranglehold the fabled Gnomes Of Zurich wance excercised oan the economy. They aw turned oot tae be a loada piffle. We're no only still here, but almost everybody in the country is better aff materially than they were even 20 years ago. Ah don't expect the present economic crisis tae be any worse than the wans we've experienced in the past - we'll get ower it eventually.

Merr tae the point, the people who caused it aw - the bankers (naw,that's no rhymin slang) an the fatcat company directors who award themselves enormous bonuses seem tae be the only people who remain unaffected by it. When we've got oor backs tae the wall, it seems tae be only the ordinary punter who his tae tighten his belt, an put his elbow tae the wheel an nose tae the grindstone. Mebbe we should think aboot a 99% tax rate fur these modern robber barons.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
*Cate Ferguson*
post 30th Aug 2010, 09:41pm
Post #29

I watched a programme recently about the amount of food wasted in the UK on a daily basis. Maybe we could organise collection of apples and pears that are allowed to rot in the gardens of rich folk who can't be bothered to pick them.

+Quote Post
*Guest #2*
post 30th Aug 2010, 10:06pm
Post #30

QUOTE (Guest @ 30th Aug 2010, 05:42pm) *
The problem we have in our society is that we are breeding a culture of dependence. This inevitably corrodes any spirit of enterprise or work ethic. By all means let us help those in genuine need but in the austere times to come we need to get our priorities in order. Let us limit our assistance to those who need it and not dole out fruit, free meals or milk to those whose parents can afford to provide for their own children.

You are wrong. The problem we have in our society is that the inequality of opportunity in Glasgow corrodes and destroys the spirit of our young people.

Over the weekend our papers were gushing in the praise heaped on the Higher success rates of private schools in the city, e.g. hooray for the High School of Glasgow as it achieved a pass rate of over 95%. In some of Glasgow City Council schools less than 1% of pupils will pass 5 Highers.

Our children are not stupid. They know when they have been let down, and let down very, very badly. Perhaps Baillie Matheson should bear this in mind when he thinks about his brutal cuts to an impoverished, inadequate and already-struggling education system in this city.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Nov 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.