Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

1189 Pages V  « < 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Possilpark
Rating 4 V
possilboy
post 12th Jan 2018, 07:32pm
Post #17746

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
good morning everybody I am back had a wee bit of trouble getting on sight anyway I am looking for a photo I put on here of the possil school brass band it is for a friend as I lost all my photos when my pc went down cheers john
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
flam
post 13th Jan 2018, 12:06pm
Post #17747

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Folks, good to be back, not been that great this year , I must admit that I missed Sweetpea,s comments, and the site seemed to lose a lot of sparkle for me, especially I could.nt call them the 3 witches (Margie,Gardenqueen and our Sweetpea) but Sweetpea would have wanted to carry on the banter so, just to let you know I am still the youngest punter on this site as I will be approaching my 62 nd birthday on 5/4/2017

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
gracebarrett
post 13th Jan 2018, 03:32pm
Post #17748

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,771
Hi all glad to see you posting and flam it's good to be over 2017 and hope your ok I'm just getting my head together myself after Dad passed away and the his Sister 4 weeks later so that's the last of my clan and didn't think it would hit me so hard but got to move on lets get oor little gang back oan track sweetpea will be up there shouting get posting ya lazy buggers , so number 3 witch is oan the boards and smiling for a change ,spoke tae Mags on the phone she cheered me up no end , weathers crap and more snow on the way yuk it's awfy cold so telly shuffling today but tomorrow going to see new kitchen units so his nibs in a blind panic and need a new sink this ones got more leaks than soup lol well folks off for a coffee he's made that's tae soften the blow befor a spend his money be back soon love Grace .

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 14th Jan 2018, 08:53pm
Post #17749

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
good morning all it is very hot over here 10 oclock in the morning and to hot to go outside got the fan going cheers john

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 15th Jan 2018, 06:30am
Post #17750

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Hi Flam, I was wondering where you had got to
Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
gracebarrett
post 15th Jan 2018, 04:03pm
Post #17751

Super City Key Holder
Hi guys and possilboy sat under a fan we are sat betwixt the radiatotor and back door shut tight it's brrr cold and downpours every half hour ,got the shopping in so that's a bonus in case the snow (John) appears lol ,hope your all ok and where's our Mags ?? must give her a ring ,well go get the tatties done and steak for his nibs ( can't stand it myself ) so noodles for me ohhh the joys of getting older and how your tastes change and him in my ear hole giving it Christ your not gona eat that lol be back soon .Grace.

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 16th Jan 2018, 02:09pm
Post #17752

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Grace, sitting at the PC, after freezing my butt off at the top of Caledonia rd High Rise Flats Gorbals, I was taking progress shots of the rebuilding of Oatlands, thawed out now

Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
gracebarrett
post 17th Jan 2018, 09:48pm
Post #17753

Super City Key Holder
Hi Norrie its been a freezing cold day here as well and almost sat on the radiator lol and only popped my head out the door to wave the kids off my old bones are letting me down these days and it's just started snowing again omg never two days the same roll on Spring ,I watched the news this morning and all those drivers stuck for hours on the motorway I would not have survived as I hate the cold I was meant for a hot country but I can only dream 😂😂 well it's still very quiet on here hope everyone's ok and good to hear from you night night Grace.

Hi Norrie its been a freezing cold day here as well and almost sat on the radiator lol and only popped my head out the door to wave the kids off my old bones are letting me down these days and it's just started snowing again omg never two days the same roll on Spring ,I watched the news this morning and all those drivers stuck for hours on the motorway I would not have survived as I hate the cold I was meant for a hot country but I can only dream 😂😂 well it's still very quiet on here hope everyone's ok and good to hear from you night night Grace.

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 18th Jan 2018, 08:12pm
Post #17754

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Grace today was the first time I had the car out of the garage since the snow arrived, not too cold today but from what I hear there is more snow to come, damn
Roll on the Summer, what ever day it will arrive
MBs are quiet, FB has taken many members away, I am on several FB pages but its not structured like a MB, so no use for me to post my Glasgow photos

Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
Whytie
post 19th Jan 2018, 11:07pm
Post #17755

Unpacking
Member No.: 28,300
QUOTE (DannyH @ 21st Jan 2016, 11:53pm) *
Hello Ashfield

That was a good try. In fact it is the only reply I have had to my post.So as you have shown some interest, here is the true story regarding Mansion's Street's connection with Cuba.

Some of the descendants of the Scottish family involved in this story, will still be alive. To avoid any embarrassment to them, I will not use any of the surnames of the Scots involved. Having said that, all of the information regarding both families can be found on the internet.

In 1923, a young woman residing in Mansion Street Possilpark, got married in the house she was born in. Her husband was Calixto Eugenio Sanchez. He was the Chancellor of the Cuban Consulate in Glasgow.

In February 1924 at the same house in Mansion Street, their son, Juan Calixto Sanchez was born.

Some time later the father returned to Cuba, taking his son Juan with him. The father re-married in Cuba.

The father died of tuberculosis in 1930, in Tampa, Florida. He was buried with full military honours in Havana Cuba.There is a school in Havana which is named after him.

The son, Juan, became an air pilot and Chief of the Cuban Air Federation. He tried to overthrow the dictator Batista and was charged with complicity in the invasion of Batista's Havana palace in March 1957. He was subsequently granted asylum in the USA.

He then tried again in MAY 1957, in what was known as the Corinthia Expedition. He led a group of insurgents using a Florida based American yacht, landing on the North East coast of Cuba. It was a disaster. He was one of 16 men executed. There were 14 survivors.

Batista fled Cuba in 1959.

Juan had a son who was killed in Vietnam while serving with the US army. He was 20.

Regards to All

Danny

My first post so not sure if pressing the correct buttons.

Calixto Sanchez Whyte was my father's cousin and they lived together in a number of homes in Mansion Street. My mum was also from Mansion Street (Jessie Glencross). The story of Calixto is currently the subject of a historical book that is being written by a professor of Latin American history in the USA. Calixto is being remembered as a trade union leader and revolutionary martyr.

The story is fascinating but my immediate family didn't know about Calixto until a few years ago when we came across my dad's birth certificate on the internet and followed the same threads that you have. When I asked my dad Gilbert (Bert or Gibby) Whyte, if he had a Cuban cousin, he looked a wee bit distant and then said "Aye, Calixto. Haven't heard of him for ages. I think he is dead." When asked why he never told us about him, my father's reply was "Nobody asked!"

The story is slightly different from the one that is reported on the web but the key facts are the same. Calixto's sister is still alive but is not keeping so well at close on 90 years. She came to visit us in Glasgow a couple of years ago with the historian who is writing the book.

Both my mum and dad died in the past 18 months (aged 90 and 93 respectively) but my dad did get the chance to meet his cousin Margaret.

I will try to keep people posted when the book is published.

Ian Whyte

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 20th Jan 2018, 12:03am
Post #17756

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
Hi Ian

Just replied to your personal message, and now I have found the post you were talking about!

You don't know how much pleasure I got when I received your personal message. It was so wondeful to have been contacted by a member of the family Calixto married into.

Pure dead brilliant as we say in Glasgow!

Let me know when the book is published - a must have!

All the best

Danny

+Quote Post
flam
post 24th Jan 2018, 05:38pm
Post #17757

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
St Cuthberts janitors house

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 24th Jan 2018, 10:06pm
Post #17758

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,466
And I have to add that looking to the left we see the end wall and curvature of the roof of the swimming pool.
Mine was the first wee skinny bum to hit that water before the official opening.

The "janny" looked the other way on that day.

What a gent.

--------------------
Held prisoner in Scotland from 1953. Escaped to England in 1970 then to Homeland Canada in 1980.

+Quote Post
margie
post 26th Jan 2018, 07:00pm
Post #17759

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,901
Hi Folks, How are you all doing, I,m down with flu right now. Not so good but a kin jist hear Sweetpea shoutin, ===Get yir finger oot and let them awe know yir still breathin. Flam a know yi hid a wee soft spot fur sweetpea but she,s left me n Clydo and Grace tae turment yi, So there,s still 3 witches so get postin or the wee yin will come back tae haunt yi lol. cheers Margie laugh.gif

+Quote Post
margie
post 26th Jan 2018, 07:13pm
Post #17760

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,901
Attached Image
Grace A don,t know whit sweet pea wiz lookin fur in this photy, Mibee 2 boil plasters lol. Great times, Flam this wans jist fur you, sweetpea, me, n Grace. Cheers Margie. laugh.gif

+Quote Post

1189 Pages V  « < 1182 1183 1184 1185 1186 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Jul 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.