Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

71 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Maryhill
Rating 5 V
Tom
post 29th Jul 2003, 03:50pm
Post #1

Super Resident
Member No.: 65
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Maryhill

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Maryhill

GG.

Anyone remember havining to cross the canal locks to get to the Maryhill Rd for shopping and getting to scholl .
If you have been back for a visit recently has that section of Maryhill changed.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 29th Jul 2003, 06:47pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
Hi Tom I went to st marys school and to stmarys chapel,on the maryhill road the school was in duncruin st [I think] been so long ]I have pals who still live in glasgow I will ask them to take some photos noo dont think I will get them tomorrow yill jist hiv tae wait awe right ? :Dby the way we used to go to that galbraiths and the postoffice tae get the family pension the wan you get when you hiv weans

This post has been edited by wee mags: 29th Jul 2003, 06:48pm

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Cameron
post 29th Jul 2003, 07:06pm
Post #3

Super Resident
Member No.: 27
Hi TOM

I just came back from there after spending 5 weeks with my brother.We used to live on Sandbank St so i know the area well .The part of canal you are talking about was called the Butnay the area has all been cleaned up and they have fancy barges going up and down the canal.If you are interested about other parts of the canal try the web site www.falkirkbairns.com

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 30th Jul 2003, 12:18am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
heresanother site and you can see the maryhill road ,you might be able to see abit of burnhouse street

,http://freespace.virgin.net/m.woods/index.htm I hope I copied it right biggrin.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 30th Jul 2003, 03:03pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
cameron did you or your brother hear of a pub called the dawsholm bar ?I think luceo on the board at one time asked about it she said she thought it was near a post office on the Maryhill rd I did not knopw as i was 18 when I left Glasgow it would be nice if she could find out

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
hubert
post 30th Jul 2003, 03:32pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 31
Mags wis Luceo no a man?
Been awhile since I saw the name, chances are Luceo wis a man, since you said she? LMAO

+Quote Post
Cameron
post 30th Jul 2003, 11:26pm
Post #7

Super Resident
Mags [ think Dawsholm bar was near where the tramcar garage was.There was pub right next to it and if remember right it only sold beer and you got the best pint in Glasgow there also was a pub across the road on the corner of the street that took you to Maryhill Harps fitba park

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 31st Jul 2003, 02:39am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
see you hubert its no a good day fur you unless you get a dig in at wee mags thats, awright wait till teeny sees it she will get you,and cameron the pub at the corner of Gairbraid Ave was Macfarlanes,and the one up the road from the library was the Punch Bowl ,and if Iam not mistaken that one you mentioned was the Lochburn ,any you auld Maryhillites know if am right ? biggrin.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Cameron
post 1st Aug 2003, 12:24am
Post #9

Super Resident
Hi mags i beleive that Lockburn Rd was across from Gairbraid Ave which took you up toMaryhill Juniors .Maryhill had two Junior fitba teams.The area i was talking about before was nearly to Maryhill park And talking about Lockburn rd do you remember when they had the shows in a feild just past the fitba park we used to be able to see them from our stairhead window

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 1st Aug 2003, 12:43am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
I know where you mean now cameron ,I used to go to my Dr up that, way his name was Dr Smith he was the Dr who delivered me and the Maryhill park was just up the way .do you remember the big Steamboat ride ,it was a big boat and it seamed like you were going to fall out of it once it started going u, biggrin.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 1st Aug 2003, 12:52am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
I just noticed that wan of the valley boys has signed up, and I know him I just had a wee chat wae him the other day, he said margaret a remember you as a wee lassie I said never mind am noo a wee fat wummin.I hope he can add some things to the board biggrin.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Cameron
post 1st Aug 2003, 01:28am
Post #12

Super Resident
Mags you just brought a load of memorys rushing back as soon as i read Steamboat, i was lucky on that one time remember when you used to hang on the netting at the ends.the boy next to me barfed when we were at the top and the other kids at bottem got coverd.I just rememberd that Dawsholm gas works and all these fitba pitches were across Maryhill rd from the gate into Maryhill park

P.S. dont let hubert get to you

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 1st Aug 2003, 02:46am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
cameron I remember my brother and me going to the dawsholm gasworks for char it was some funny looking stuff you used for the fire it was cheaper than coal we would take a big pram and walk along the canal bank to get there

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Tom
post 3rd Aug 2003, 06:08pm
Post #14

Super Resident
Member No.: 65
Hi there Maggie how did a nice Glasgow girl like you end up in Yankee land its a far cry from pushing bags of charcoal along the canal banks.
When did you last return to your old haunts and how long have you been away ?.
I've received an email from Peter who used to be on the board a few years ago asking about Maryhill Cross I told him to look at Virtual Mitchell under Maryhill and he will find it on page 18.
I guess you new where it was as you passed it on the way to school.
Tom

+Quote Post
Kayleigh
post 4th Aug 2003, 12:47pm
Post #15

Lord Provost
Member No.: 248
wink.gif Another good site for those from Maryhill is www.chester3.freeserve.co.uk.

+Quote Post

71 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Jan 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.