Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

15 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nasa, Earthlike planet discovery imminent
TeeHeeHee
post 8th Nov 2011, 04:46pm
Post #151

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I had my first space trip when I was a mere lad of 36 years. laugh.gif
Dyin' tae go back. laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
odeonclubboy
post 8th Nov 2011, 04:51pm
Post #152

Special Visitor
Member No.: 12,134
i remember telling a pal of mine about this when i lived in rural cheshire in the 1960's...very posh...he gave it a try with hilarious results (we wre teenagers at the time)

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 9th Nov 2011, 12:33pm
Post #153

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 8th Nov 2011, 04:12pm) *
I had my first space trip when I was a mere lad of 36 years.
Dyin' tae go back.

Tomi, try oot Evo-stik or a similiar industrial grade hallucinogenic. blink.gif wacko.gif. Ye'll be in Earth orbit faster than the shuttle 'wi a boax o' bangers strapped to it's erse!

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 9th Nov 2011, 12:37pm
Post #154

Mega City Key Holder
Tank sealant did the trick Rabbie. tongue.gif
Ye just had to remember not to walk outboard when ye came oot the wing tanks. rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 9th Nov 2011, 12:47pm
Post #155

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Tilt your head 45degrees and look at this and see if you can see a face side profile.
dont tell the happy clappies they will probably say its god looking down at us. biggrin.gif

[quote name='TeeHeeHee' date='4th Oct 2011, 09:56am' post='3555949']
The Antennae Galaxies as we've never seen them.
This is what will eventually happen when the Milky Way receives a gate-crash visit from Andromeda. biggrin.gif

[attachment=35738:Antennae..._964x864.jpg]

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 9th Nov 2011, 12:53pm
Post #156

Mega City Key Holder
Left or right?
I tilted 45 downwards and nutted my desktop. laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
odeonclubboy
post 9th Nov 2011, 12:59pm
Post #157

Special Visitor
Member No.: 12,134
we are not alone.............

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 9th Nov 2011, 04:23pm
Post #158

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 9th Nov 2011, 01:19pm) *
Left or right?
I tilted 45 downwards and nutted my desktop. laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

Right, but dae it before your 3rd or 4th glass. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 9th Nov 2011, 04:47pm
Post #159

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (odeonclubboy @ 9th Nov 2011, 12:25pm) *
we are not alone.............

Now I am getting paraniod. rolleyes.gif

Tomi, on the aerospace circuit, just before the grimrods came into the shed for majors, there was always a pre-major survey carried out.

One of the many things this involved, apart from the usual lenghty pub sessions was assessing the state of the spec weap electrical/armament installation in the bomb bay. The wiring was protected by red plastic convuluted tubing. Naturally, this tubing would fill up with fuel, hydraulic fluid and sea water. You name it, it found its way into the tubing and slowly and surely perished the rubber on the wires. This threatened to be like too much hard work and eat into our VDT (Valuable Drink Time).

The solution to this looming crisis that threatened the safety of the planet and our sanctity of our swally time was quite simple. Remove the tubing, a right pain in the erse and clean the crap off the wiring with a neat solutions of Trichloroethylene (Trich) or Methyl Ethyl Ketone (Butanone) and auld WRAF rags! Now the geeks forgot to consider that MEK is a solvent that loves to rot plastic / rubber based insulation not to mention and yer brain and yer liver and predispose yer sorry erse to a goodly dose of skin cancer. So all being said, pretty good stuff!

As you can imagine in an enclosed space the fumes generated by these cocktails lead to some instant highs and pugnatiousness which generated many a visitation to "See what was happening in the bomb bay" This lead to the reknowned, somewhat spontaneous "Rabbie's bombbay parties." Pull up a plinth, bring yer ain MEK and Trich, join the fun and help the leckies wash the wires. Naturally, this was a popular activity before a Sqn beer call or the mundane daily riggers run doon Kelly's Stables to get blooted efter wurk.

Mind ye, on wan occasion it was pretty embarrassing fur me; getting dragged out the pub by my 4' 10" missus in front of all my mates at 2 in the morning and wi her threatening to set the saft as shite labradoodle on them all, bloody soppy dug was feart of it's own shadow. Nearly 40 years of water under the bridge and I still get the piss taken out me for that one and rightly so.

It's a wonder that any work ever got done and these cabs ever got aff the ground again.

Those upper echelon blue suited shuttle techies in NASA didnea ken what they were missing at Kinloss!

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 6th Aug 2012, 07:12am
Post #160

Mega City Key Holder
Rabbie, IVe heard you're a bit of the magic in you wi' the maths so maybe you can work this one oot biggrin.gif :-

First of all, congrats are due to the NASA Nerds for the successful landing of the Curiosity Rover on the Red Planet this morning where the International Fail Rate (hit-or-miss attempts) at time of going to press must be about 50%.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19144464

Now the Maths, Rabbie.
The report said that NASA had to wait 13 minutes for the signal to get back from Mars at a distance of 570 million Kilometers.
Correct me if I'm wrong buddy but shouldn't that be 30 minutes over 570M Klicks considering it takes light 8 minutes to do the mere 150 million (1 AU)which separate Mother Sun from Daughter Earth?
Over to you professor. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 6th Aug 2012, 10:15am
Post #161

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Sounds like yer dain a weather report, THEE! laugh.gif

What great news about the new Rover.
Its bristling with new gadgetry apparently.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 6th Aug 2012, 10:26am
Post #162

Mega City Key Holder
Aye, Tomi yer sums are deid right, a wee gold star to stick in yer maths jotter is in the post.

Yet, it wont surprise you that is not always that is not always the case as the distance from Earth to Mars changes constantly, as the two planets travel along elliptical orbits that are not synchronized. Nothing is ever as simple as it seems.

Going by the book, as we always did:p Mars and Earth are closest together when Earth is at farthest point from the sun and Mars at its closest. Think aboot it!

At this point Earth and Mars are aboot 54.6 million km of each other.

That point is said to be theoretical because it has not been observed during recorded human history, no like we have been recording much for very long, and much of it being utter guff like Laddy Gaga and its ilk.

The closest known approach was in 2003, when Earth and Mars were separated by only 56 million km. It was a clear night too, an amazing starfield was slightly out off focus due to the effects of few medicinal ports and guinness.
On the opposite end of the scale, Mars and Earth can be as much as 401 million km apart when they are in opposition and both are at aphelion.

The average distance between the two is 225 million km.

So there ye have it!

Noo, here endeth this years lecture, aff to the playing fields with you all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 6th Aug 2012, 10:31am
Post #163

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (wee davy @ 6th Aug 2012, 12:30pm) *
Sounds like yer dain a weather report, THEE! laugh.gif

What great news about the new Rover.
Its bristling with new gadgetry apparently.

Does it come standard or are they optional extras. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 13th Sep 2013, 01:25pm
Post #164

Mega City Key Holder
Ah said go, go, go ... Johnny B. Good

Chuck Berry has now left the theater tongue.gif

Attached Image

NASA announces that Voyager 1 has finally left the Solar System after 36 years and almost 19 billion kilometers of space travel ... still boldly going where no man (made object) has gone before.

Attached Image

Read the full amazing story of the Voyager accomplishments here:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1

http://www.space.com/22778-voyager-1-space...=51463011861984

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 13th Sep 2013, 01:48pm
Post #165

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks to Carl Sagan's pleading NASA turned voyager around to take this shot in 1990 of The Pale Blue Dot ... the Earth as seen from 6 Billion klicks (middle of that brown band on extreme right of the 1st picture) thumbup.gif

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.