Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

12 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> People Make Glasgow, New slogan for the city
bilbo.s
post 24th May 2015, 08:08am
Post #151

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 24th May 2015, 03:32am) *
And every catholic unionist voted NO, so your point is?

By the way, you still haven't told us what planet your calling from?

I'm guessing Uranus.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 24th May 2015, 09:17am
Post #152

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 24th May 2015, 09:16am) *
I'm guessing Uranus.

That's also what he speaks out of. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
GG
post 2nd Dec 2015, 10:47pm
Post #153

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Oh dear, pretty poor journalism that not worth commenting on ...
Marketing chief who propelled Glasgow to tourism A-list quits post

[..] In an email to staff, Glasgow City Council chief executive Annmarie O'Donnell said: "After ten successful years leading Glasgow City Marketing Bureau, Scott Taylor has decided to step down.

"I don’t need to remind you of the successes the bureau has had, from their seemingly endless run of Convention Bureau of the Year wins, to the launch of People Make Glasgow, to their role in our world leading events strategy, Scott has led a team which has delivered successes for this city which would have been unthinkable in the past.

"Glasgow is now Scotland’s fastest growing tourism destination and between now and March we will take steps to ensure we have the structures in place to continue the bureau’s success.

"I am sure you will want to join me in wishing Scott well for the future."

Full story here:
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/1411884...ist_quits_post/

However, my understanding is that the council is actively in the process of preparing to ditch the risible 'People Make Glasgow' city brand. Perhaps that is why Mr Taylor has left?

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 27th Feb 2016, 01:28am
Post #154

Administrator
Group Icon
I don't think the Glasgow City Marketing Bureau's promotional campaign is extending to Canada. smile.gif This is worth reading for the pure comedy value. To be honest, I don't think the Canadian reviewer ventured outwith the environs of the West End.

These cities aren’t as glamorous as their neighbours, but that’s what makes them worth visiting

Glasgow

Edinburgh, with its castle, beautiful old town and Fringe Festival is very much what Scotland was, and what it hopes to be. Glasgow is what Scotland is: down and out, but on the make. It’s got vacant storefronts, which you may think you don’t want to see on holidays, but vacancies bring rents down, which lets places like The Steamie (1024 Argyle St.) to exist, a tiny coffee shop that brews the best coffee I’ve had in the British and Irish Isles, or Brewdog (1397 Argyle St.), a brew pub that sells shares to its customers and proudly declares in big letters on its door, “We are a living wage employer.” These sorts of businesses are popping up all over town. There’s a beautiful river, crossed by heavy iron bridges, and a huge idiosyncratic museum of everything from fire hydrants to Dali, but for me, the best spot was The Quarter Gill (pronounced “jill” — 232 Dunbarton Rd.), a working man’s bar with cheap beer, cheaper Scotch and the profoundest Glaswegian accents you’ll find anywhere. WestJet now flies from Halifax, connecting old and new Scotia directly by air for the first time, and adding to the only other extant direct flight out of Toronto.

Full story here:
http://news.nationalpost.com/life/travel/t...-worth-visiting

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 27th Feb 2016, 08:01am
Post #155

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Ah want tae go there Jimmy, don't ya know laugh.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 27th Feb 2016, 06:55pm
Post #156

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
There are about nine other working men's pubs within walking distance of the Quarter Gill! I would think The Three Judges would get the vote as the best.

+Quote Post
GG
post 16th Mar 2016, 12:31am
Post #157

Administrator
Group Icon
Yet another example from the dystopian nightmare created by the incompetence, ineptness and greed of (Labour) politicians in Glasgow.

People Make Glasgow ...
Glasgow tops UK list of benefits claimants 'too drunk to work'

Glasgow has more benefits claimants labelled ‘too drunk to work’ than any other part of the UK, figures have revealed.

The city has twice as many alcoholics claiming disability allowance as any other UK city, with 2,390 individuals currently signed off due to being unfit for work, according to a report in The Scottish Sun.

The Department of Work and Pensions say around 58,000 people in the UK are currently off work as a result of alcoholism in total but Glasgow has nearly twice as many as other major cities such as Birmingham and Liverpool.

Scottish Labour’s equality spokeswoman Jenny Marra called the figures “appalling”.

She said: “They show the problems that affect too many people because of poverty and unemployment.

“The only way to tackle these social issues is to build a better economy, get people into work and active.

Scotland’s future can only be built on investment in education and employment.”

Maureen Watt, the SNP’s Minister for Public Health, said the figures showed the size of the task facing the government in improving the nation’s health.

She said: “We are working to make Scotland healthier but we won’t solve this overnight, as these figures show.”

Full short story here:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenew..._drunk_to_work_

Reader comments look absolutely dire ... though here's an interesting one:
Isn't interesting DWP can all of a sudden tell us how many folks anywhere are too ill to work due to alcohol, just a few days after the regime at Westminster voted thru disability cuts, with a little help from the odd Labour abstainer.... Interesting that! It is the same DWP who claim not to know the figures of those who have died after being told they were fit for work by DWP appointed assessors. Or they claim not to know the numbers of those who have killed themselves due to their money being unjustly stopped. I would be very cautious of anything from DWP these days.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 19th Mar 2016, 12:33am
Post #158

QUOTE (GG @ 27th Feb 2016, 01:36am) *
I don't think the Glasgow City Marketing Bureau's promotional campaign is extending to Canada. smile.gif This is worth reading for the pure comedy value. To be honest, I don't think the Canadian reviewer ventured outwith the environs of the West End.

Full story here:

GG.

Having been hospitalised and rendered incapacitated for two months, I took a long look at the royal and ancient city of Guvin on Google. I was surprised at the renovation that has taken place, creating a town with clean streets and livable houses. Compared to what I lived in in the 50s it was night and day. What did cause me some distress however were the boarded up shops and lack of any visible community interaction. Govan on a Saturday was an enjoyable place to shop and interact. To me it was second only to the "City". Like as I said of Paisley, "You have created a desert and called it peace."

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 19th Mar 2016, 09:18am
Post #159

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
They created a shopping 'oasis' at Braehead halfway between Govan and Paisley so no surprise that local shops shut as a result.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 19th Mar 2016, 09:33am
Post #160

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Don't forget Govan shopping centre, a great place to avoid if you're in the area rolleyes.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
zoro
post 21st Mar 2016, 02:35am
Post #161

Settling In

Member No.: 32,688
QUOTE (ashfield @ 19th Mar 2016, 10:41am) *
Don't forget Govan shopping centre, a great place to avoid if you're in the area rolleyes.gif

Hark at the purified...That's not nice..... Attached Image

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 22nd Mar 2016, 09:48pm
Post #162

QUOTE (GG @ 27th Feb 2016, 01:36am) *

Full story here:

GG.

Just before Christmas last, we hosted my family from Canada who were on an extended tour that took in Scotland and spent some time in the "Holy City" They were very impressed with Glasgow, the people and the food (???)

They put a lot of the renewal and positivism down to the "Games" being held in the city I was surprised at their attitude towards Glasgow but I never asked about the level of accommodation and travel they accessed. (they do have a few bob).

However I don't see them as staying in the Ritz Carleton as they are not pretentious like me. Then again most people can be pretentious in South East Asia when it comes to flash hotels. I was quite taken with their enthusiasm for Glasgow and I can only see this as a positive for tourism in a place where none existed in my memory.

+Quote Post
GG
post 28th Mar 2016, 12:46am
Post #163

Administrator
Group Icon
People Make Glasgow.
After Asad Shah's 'religiously prejudiced' death, we know inter-Muslim hatred is a problem in Britain

By all accounts, the death of shopkeeper Asad Shah on Thursday night in Glasgow was alleged to be related to his background. It shocked the local community and a tribute event on Friday was attended by hundreds of people, including Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon. But, astonishingly, it is now suspected that Shah was killed by another Muslim man because he was an Ahmadi Muslim. It is the first high-profile anti-Ahmadi incident on British soil, and it has already sent ripples of shock throughout the small community.

Ahmadis are an Islamic sect, founded in modern day Pakistan in 1889. There’s no definitive number of Ahmadi Muslims: estimates range between two million to “tens of millions”, and though they are spread across the world, they are predominately based in Pakistan. Ahmadis are also considered heretics by many Sunni Muslims, and are viciously persecuted in their homeland. Pakistan treats Ahmadis no better than Apartheid South Africa treated black people; that is, with complete contempt.

It’s shocking, but not entirely surprising, that the persecution Ahmadis face in Pakistan has travelled over here. Several British Ahmadis I spoke to say they have known of someone who had been threatened or attacked for being an Ahmadi here in Britain. One anti-Ahmadi group with offices in London organises conferences that spread hate-speech against them; a popular Facebook group sent out a message of “congratulations” on news of Shah’s death.

The persecution of British Ahmadis by other Muslims has become worryingly normalised, yet has remained largely unspoken. In recent weeks, several British imams in Glasgow and Bradford openly praised Mumtaz Qadri, who murdered a Pakistani governor for campaigning against the country’s vicious blasphemy laws (used primarily to persecute and even kill religious minorities including Christians, Hindus, Sikhs and Ahmadis in Pakistan).

These are not isolated incidents. Last month a group of Muslims in Scunthorpe protested against an Ahmadi mosque being built, and there have been reports of similar incidents elsewhere around the country. In 2010, The Independent reported of hard line Muslims in west London calling for Ahmadis to be killed. In Tooting, mainstream Sunni preachers were found to have urged follower to boycotts Ahmadi businesses.

What’s frustrating for many British Ahmadis is that authorities are only just beginning to take their persecution seriously. Until now, it has been written off as an “internal Muslim issue” for the community to deal with itself. That can continue no longer. As Fiyaz Mughal, who runs the Muslim hate-crime monitoring group Tell MAMA, says: “They are hate incidents and are recorded as such by us.” [...]

Full story here:
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/after-...n-a6955146.html

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 28th Mar 2016, 12:49am
Post #164

Administrator
Group Icon
Glasgow imam criticised for supporting Islamist assassin

The imam at Scotland’s largest mosque has been criticised for speaking out in defence of an extremist who was executed for murdering a Pakistani politician.

Maulana Habib ur Rehman, leader of Glasgow’s Central Mosque, used the Whatsapp messaging service to praise the actions of Mumtaz Qadri, who was hanged in February for the murder of Punjab governor Salman Taseer.

Mr Taseer was targeted for criticising Pakistan’s strict blasphemy laws, which have been subject to international condemnation for being discriminatory to minorities in the country.

The murder of Mr Taseer was a polarising event in Pakistan as fundamentalists lauded Mumtaz Qadri’s actions, hailing him as a martyr while moderates viewed him as an extremist. [...]

Full story here:
http://stv.tv/news/west-central/1347806-gl...amist-assassin/

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Tally Rand*
post 28th Mar 2016, 10:58pm
Post #165

QUOTE (GG @ 28th Mar 2016, 12:57am) *

Shades of Billy Connely; "is youse a Caferlic Muslin or a Prodisint Muslim ????

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.