Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

10 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Councillor Plans To Axe Children's Fruit, Blow to health and wellbeing in Glasgow
Jupiter
post 4th Sep 2010, 08:27pm
Post #61

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
It is a well known fact that many people are against the Popes visit for their own reasons but Ive yet to hear of anyone suggesting that the Popes visit will be funded by cash from the council budget intended for fruit.I think that the old prejudices are surfacing here although I dont expect anyone to agree with me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*MEchippie*
post 4th Sep 2010, 09:01pm
Post #62

Hi,

You are making a big mistake ... the Children of today are your Healthy People of tomorrow!

Margaret.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 4th Sep 2010, 09:12pm
Post #63

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
biggrin.gif there yie have it,short and sweet, free fruit fer the kids,make sure they get bananas included in the mix.

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 4th Sep 2010, 11:29pm
Post #64

Mega City Key Holder
Where`s the big mistake?I live near a secondary school and can see that a high proportion of the kids are well overweight and furthermore know for a fact that a large number of kids at present in one school turn up their noses at fruit and milk despite the fact it is free.

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 5th Sep 2010, 12:32am
Post #65

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 54
I do think that parents should step in and ensure their kids have a bit of fruit.Simple solution for this situation. Says Joop

So this is simply saying: If the kids have inadequate parents - or parents who can't afford the fruit - 'Not my problem, my kids have fruit, so what do I care about these other kids with worthless parents'
Aye, I'm sure you would have agreed the 'Workhouses' of Victorian times was a 'Simple solution'

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 5th Sep 2010, 02:34am
Post #66

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
It seems to be the accepted wisdom that we must all suffer from the cuts which are to befall us, but why? The Governments own figures in the GERS report show that Scotland was in surplus to the tune of some 1.3 billion in the last fiscal year.
When next you hear of politicians rubbishing our nation as "subsidy junkies", feel free to point out that we Scots are the ones subsidising the UK treasury.
Perhaps if we had some measure of Independence, we would not have to see councils scurrying around making ill considered decisions such as this.

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 5th Sep 2010, 08:23am
Post #67

Mega City Key Holder
It seems to be the accepted wisdom that we must all suffer from the cuts which are to befall us,
- well not all, Tamhickey; mostly wage earners and kids who are not as fortunate as Jupiter's kids rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 5th Sep 2010, 08:53am
Post #68

Mega City Key Holder
The major problem the U.K. has, as I've indicated before, is that the basis of it's ecconomy relied for centuries on selling to and 'taking' from lands it conquered. In the post WW2 era it lost these markets. It had no experience of competeing in a commerical world; relied, arrogantly on 'British is best' to survive. Even treats the E.U. - which is now it's biggest export market - with contempt.
Why U.K. will be 'last' out of recession
U.S. has a similar problem; treating the world with contempt.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 5th Sep 2010, 09:26am
Post #69

Mega City Key Holder
Tommy, Ive put down my views regarding this subject which also encroaches on to the topic of benefits.
Im all for people in need of benefit getting their full entitlement.I have no problem there.
What I am saying is there is a vast number of people benefit dependant taking everything that is going and they have under various Governments been allowed to do this.
This coalition government,rightly or wrongly and guided I think by Iain Duncan Smith have decided that the 26 billion a year paid out in benefit will have to be reined in and they are targeting every aspect of the benefit system so I think it is fair to say that for people who do live a life on welfare benefits that radical change is coming whether they agree or not.I really hope that genuine cases do not suffer.
My kids,Tommy, were not fortunate.My wife and I have brains and we both recognise the benefits to be got from fruit.The information was freely available everywhere from schools to doctors surgeries.We just happened to take it up and follow it and it didnt cost a bomb,in fact it was a very small part of our budget.The apple or orange in their lunch box every day could easily have been a bar of chocolate.
So it will be interesting to see what the outcome will be if sadly the fruit in schools gets cut.Will all the shouters replace it from their own purse? Somehow I dont think so .
Tommy,I keep my posts impersonal but as you are putting words in my mouth and implying that I am uncaring toward children and adopt an Im alright Jack attitude I would like to put you right there.
As the husband of a registered childminder we have had children in our home over the last 20 years and have many letters of appreciation from parents.Fruit is supplied to every child every day.I donate monthly to Save the Children and have never once made any reference to worthless parents.I am as dismayed as any right minded parent that the fruit will be cut but have offered a viable alternative ie let parents step in.
And as for suffering from cutbacks we are all taking our share.
Oh and finally,my daughter is now a teacher(not in UK) and she actively encourages the pupils to have their fruit which is supplied by their parents every day.

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 5th Sep 2010, 10:49am
Post #70

Mega City Key Holder
"My kids,Tommy, were not fortunate."- you say, Jupiter (It's because of your brain power!) - this is suggestive that kids with parents lacking in brain power are NOT unfortunate rolleyes.gif , I consider your children - as my children and grandchildren were/are - very fortunate; not only to have undertsanding parents but to have lived in much better times/conditions than my generation went thru and I don't think the parents of my generation had 'less brain power' than the present generation of parents.
I'm sure tho' it was the case that the Establishment of yesteryear considered it was the 'lack of brainpower''of the poor and weak that contributed to their own poverty.
Go just a wee bit further back and they were; not the 'unfortunates' but the 'undeserving poor'

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 5th Sep 2010, 11:15am
Post #71

What I don't get is why Matheson who is supposed to be a Labour councillor is following the Con-Dem agenda of cuts?! Surely as Labour, he should protest against the cuts being forced on ordinary people when it was the bankers fault by setting an alternative/protest budget and get people back on the side of Labour

Taking children's fruit away is the lowest of the low!

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 5th Sep 2010, 11:32am
Post #72

Mega City Key Holder
Tommy once again you are changing what I am saying.Who mentioned brainpower.?I have a brain like everyone else and am of average intelligence nothing more nothing less.Im not making suggestions regarding the intellect or brainpower as you call it of other person or how they deploy it.
Nuff said.

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 5th Sep 2010, 12:17pm
Post #73

Mega City Key Holder
"My wife and I have brains ," suggesting, quite rightly, that you both have 'used' your brains to better your lifes and your childrens - the poor/weak/inadequate do not; thus are undeserving.
You have stated on at least 2 occasions that you do not consider your life circumnstances to be 'Fortunate' - suggestive again that your blessings in life are 100% down to your own abilities. This is suggestive that those that have, - shall I say poor circumstances in life, rather than 'unfortunate' -, that it is all down to their own inabilities.

Well Thatcher and all the Tories would agree with you

+Quote Post
GG
post 5th Sep 2010, 12:23pm
Post #74

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please remember that we should be able to accommodate conflicting viewpoints in a sensible and respectful manner. In fact, I think the expression of differing opinions is the lifeblood of the discussion process: it's what makes productive and rewarding discourse possible. It also contributes, hopefully, to the development of our understanding; our ability to make sense of a complex subject.

BUT ... this only works if we are both considerate and friendly and don't dwell on personal aspects of the discussion topic.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 5th Sep 2010, 12:31pm
Post #75

Mega City Key Holder
GG can I say that I agree with you wholeheartedly re the discussions on the Forums.I have expressed my views in a general manner from the start and I do not propose to change that.
I do not come on here to belittle or demean anyones lifestyle or opinion.I try to be as accurate,truthful and factual as possible.I see no point in unsubstantiated sweeping statements but as they are here I consider them and will try to respond when appropriate.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.