Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

16 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> City Centre Police Get Taser Stun Guns, New scheme to protect officers and public
bilbo.s
post 18th Jul 2014, 08:00am
Post #211

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
I completely agree that such a decision should not be made by one man, whether elected or not.

Having lived for 7 years now in a country where all police, including local police, are armed, as is the norm in many countries, I must add that it does not worry me at all.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 18th Jul 2014, 12:42pm
Post #212

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Like you; and many other board members, Bill I live in part of Europe other than GB where police, custom officers and border gaurds are armed and this gives me no worries at all. That said, I have also lived and worked in ME countries where particular armed police and security guards gave me certain cause for concern simply because the person with his finger on the trigger showed a distinct nervousness. This of course warns one to be very careful: don't suddenly reach into your pockets, but it clearly emphasises that the wrong man is on the job.
It's no use training some one to use a weapon of any description if that person hasn't been fully trained on how and when to use it.
I don't know if competence tests are part of an officer's training curriculum in the use of, or being equiped with, weapons but it seems in a lot of instances not to be the case.
Personally I have nothing against armed police; in fact I prefer it, but I'd be happy to know that they undergo a test of competence to certify that they are at least up to carrying half the power of God on their hip rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 20th Jul 2014, 09:25am
Post #213

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
Police Scotland's stop and search rate is 9 times that of NYPD.

Stephen House, MacAskill and Salmon conspired to bury this stat.

More evidence of the authoritarian state the SNP would impose by the back door.

Story from Independence supporting Sunday Herald.

BTW.

I have noticed that " The Guns " issue is growing despite the SNP supporters trying to ignore it.!

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 20th Jul 2014, 10:02am
Post #214

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
QUOTE (Scotsman @ 1st May 2014, 11:36am) *
On the BBC today.... is this how people should be treated??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27225260

I missed this first time around, can you imagine the reaction if the victim was a patient, it was a hospital and a nurse jabbed something into him after he chucked his underpants. The nurse would not only be sacked but he/she would be removed from the NMC register and would lose their career.
The sort of people who support the police doing this would be up in arms about the nurse demanding charges be brought.
Nurses are threatened and assaulted quite regularly, the same sort of people who have constant run ins with the law also require the use of hospitals more than the average person, and unlike police officers the only protection they have is a fob watch or a pen.. Is there popular support for nurses to carry pepper spray or tazers, no and i dont think there is popular support for police to carry guns either.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
ktv
post 20th Jul 2014, 10:08am
Post #215

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
QUOTE (Dylan @ 20th Jul 2014, 10:42am) *
Police Scotland's stop and search rate is 9 times that of NYPD.

Stephen House, MacAskill and Salmon conspired to bury this stat.

More evidence of the authoritarian state the SNP would impose by the back door.

BTW.

I have noticed that " The Guns " issue is growing despite the SNP supporters trying to ignore it.!

not every post on here is about the snp and youl notice that most of the "snp supporters" on here have posted in this thread.

you don't even know when people are actually agreeing with you for god sake.

pure eejitry at its finest wacko.gif

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 20th Jul 2014, 10:29am
Post #216

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 20th Jul 2014, 11:19am) *
I missed this first time around, can you imagine the reaction if the victim was a patient, it was a hospital and a nurse jabbed something into him after he chucked his underpants. The nurse would not only be sacked but he/she would be removed from the NMC register and would lose their career.
The sort of people who support the police doing this would be up in arms about the nurse demanding charges be brought.
Nurses are threatened and assaulted quite regularly, the same sort of people who have constant run ins with the law also require the use of hospitals more than the average person, and unlike police officers the only protection they have is a fob watch or a pen.. Is there popular support for nurses to carry pepper spray or tazers, no and i dont think there is popular support for police to carry guns either.

The video won't play but I get the gist of your Post and agree with your sentiments.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 20th Jul 2014, 10:39am
Post #217

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ktv @ 20th Jul 2014, 11:25am) *
not every post on here is about the snp and youl notice that most of the "snp supporters" on here have posted in this thread.

you don't even know when people are actually agreeing with you for god sake.

pure eejitry at its finest wacko.gif

Whit !!

Who ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ktv
post 20th Jul 2014, 10:44am
Post #218

Mega City Key Holder
twit !!

you .? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
ktv
post 20th Jul 2014, 10:47am
Post #219

Mega City Key Holder
the video can be seen here

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 20th Jul 2014, 11:08am
Post #220

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Dylan @ 20th Jul 2014, 10:42am) *

Did none of the other 36 Anti Scottish independence papers bother with this story then?

+Quote Post
ktv
post 20th Jul 2014, 11:19am
Post #221

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 20th Jul 2014, 12:25pm) *
Did none of the other 36 Anti Scottish independence papers bother with this story then?

ever since he declared he wasn't going to visit the indy thread again hes been trying to turn every other thread into the same subject wacko.gif

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 20th Jul 2014, 11:55am
Post #222

Mega City Key Holder
No, that is CJ's job.!

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Tally Rand*
post 21st Jul 2014, 10:16am
Post #223

QUOTE (ktv @ 17th Jul 2014, 12:36pm) *
I know this pic is the US version of police (I couldn't find a uk one) but it just shows the increasing militarisation of the police forces over the years.

theres is absolutely no justification for armed police to attend minor incidents and it will only increase the chances of something going wrong.
they tried to justify it (at first) in rural areas by saying they had to back up to rely on but when they would normally reach for a baton or taser they could now as easily reach for a gun. only seemed to have happened after "police Scotland" was created too so I think macaskil has to pull his finger out and reign in House before some one gets killed by some frightened copper.

agree too that the "security" measures for the CW games take zero account of the locals in the area and can only lead to more animosity towards the police.

The pictures here show an armed response officer dressed in a fashion common to all special police forces world wide. In the U.S.A. due to all powerful gun lobby the average police force is generally out gunned by whatever street gangs, militias or just plain school kids.

I have inadvertently been present during an armed robbery that went over my head until I saw the arrival of the police. During a bank robbery of my local bank in Melbourne , my friend also from Glasgow was wounded when he jumped in front of an old lady as the bandit for no reason other than that she was there opened fire on her. Do police need fire arms? While crims are willing to gun down old ladies in broad daylight in order to get some cash for drugs, booze or holidays then 100% yes.

+Quote Post
GG
post 6th Aug 2016, 09:15pm
Post #224

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Inquiry launched after man pepper-sprayed by police dies

Scotland’s police watchdog has launched an investigation after a man died in hospital the day after being pepper-sprayed by police.

The police investigations and review commissioner (PIRC) said Alan Hay, 50, from Dalbeattie, was rushed to hospital when he fell ill minutes before he was due to be checked in at Barlinnie prison the day after his arrest over a disturbance.

Police Scotland officers used a pepper spray incapacitant known as Captor PAVA during the incident, which took place on Monday.

It is the second recent death involving Police Scotland’s use of pepper spray. The force is under criminal investigation by the PIRC and the Crown Office after the death of Sheku Bayoh, who died last year as he was being held down on a pavement, seconds after being hit with pepper spray and CS gas. [...]

Full story here:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/au...-by-police-dies

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
*Talisman*
post 6th Aug 2016, 11:22pm
Post #225

QUOTE (GG @ 6th Aug 2016, 09:15pm) *

Agitated violent offenders frequently raise their blood pressure, heart rate and overall detrimental situations to their health and the well being of others; others who are seldom accounted for when reports such as this come into the public arena. I have said it before. You can taser me, pepper spray me, hit me with a baton but for G-D's sake don't hit me with any 9mm bullets.

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.