Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

41 Pages V  « < 38 39 40 41 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Statues To Be Moved From George Square, All historical figures to be relocated
campsie
post 21st Jan 2013, 11:01pm
Post #586

Super Resident
Member No.: 8,874
It gladdens my heart to know that there are some officials that are prepared to listen, really listen to the views of the people. Cheers Glasgow City Council!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 21st Jan 2013, 11:14pm
Post #587

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
Hello All

Having visited the Lighthouse in Glasgow and looked at the proposed changes, I am delighted that sanity has prevailed

It would be interesting to know how much the Council has spent on this exercise so far. All they had to do originally was to go out to tender to reputable landscape gardeners, or even better still employ the services of an experienced landscape gardener in their own Gardens Department.

Regarding the possibilty of being sued by six companies that made it to the final, it surely must depend on how the Council worded its invitation for quotations from these companies. If the Council has given these companies a guarantee, prior to the final decision, that one of them would get the contract then the Council could be in trouble. Particularly if there are American companies involved!

Regards to All

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
jakka13
post 21st Jan 2013, 11:49pm
Post #588

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,815
Sanity prevailed.Well done everyone who voted against the proposed changes.

--------------------
Auld but Still Game.

+Quote Post
ginaburton
post 22nd Jan 2013, 12:05am
Post #589

Settling In
Member No.: 8,171
I left Glasgow in 1977 aged 20 and I have memories of George square having a lot more grassy areas around the outside. It used to be a great place to sit on a sunny day but now it just looks like a huge car park. I sincerely hope that the council will consider returning it to the same layout that it had in the 60's and 70's.

+Quote Post
angel
post 22nd Jan 2013, 12:09am
Post #590

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
Sanity prevailed.Well done everyone who voted against the proposed changes.

Like yourself Jakka , well done too those who actually voted against these Changes and hopefully there will be a big improvement .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
zascot
post 22nd Jan 2013, 05:14am
Post #591

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Why were the people not polled before the tenders. I and my partners run a fairly large industrial company and when I tender and lose to a competitor I accept it, when we go to the expense of tendering and the contract is canceled then we are out of pocket for a lot of money because of the inefficiency of the end user. Will companies be keen on tendering to Glasgow council in future?

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
GG
post 22nd Jan 2013, 07:57am
Post #592

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
What I said in an earlier post, from September:
I think you have got it in one, ashfield. The issue of the statues is a highly emotive one and, I believe, one that has been raised to deliberately divert the public attention from the wider and more nuanced changes which underlie the raft of council proposals for the square released over the last few months. What we are witnessing is a general exercising of power by Labour councillors to bring George Square wholly under their control, or at least to demonstrably remove control and ownership (or the impression of control and ownership) from the people of Glasgow. They will know their own reasons for doing this.

But the statues are a red herring and I foresee some quick concessions by the very unpopular council leader regarding the long-term location of the monuments; however, the very act of doing so simply reinforces the message being sent – that George Square no longer belongs to the people of Glasgow.

GG.

So, was the removal of the statues simply a red herring all the time? Promoted to divert attention from other proposals, particularly that the right to organised public gatherings in the square are to be taken away from the people of Glasgow? I suppose we will never know, but the whole situation has provided a "very unpopular council leader" with the opportunity to take a bit of the negative publicity from his shoulders!

I think we do, though, need to keep a watch on what is happening in George Square. I also think we need to look out for the council trying to transfer control of the square to one of its arms-length companies which inherently lack the full transparency and accountability afforded council departments: Glasgow Life, especially!

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 22nd Jan 2013, 08:14am
Post #593

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
I think this is one of those 'democracy in action' moments, which prevail - from time to time,... and I congratulate the Glasgow people for their hardy resolve in this issue.

I don't underestimate the part Glasgow Guide has had a part in this.

I'm sure it has acted as a very sound and fairly accurate test of the public opinion.

Give yourself a pat on the back, GG.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
CAT
post 22nd Jan 2013, 08:59am
Post #594

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
So glad this waste of money has been halted. A wee revamp is just enough!

I've only just got used to Red Square. thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
d.c.
post 23rd Jan 2013, 10:07am
Post #595

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 19
City split over U-turn on George Square plan

PUBLIC opinion is divided over the decision to scrap a planned 15million redesign of George Square.

Protesters are still celebrating the announcement that Glasgow City Council has ditched the controversial project.

But many others are unhappy that little other than resurfacing work will now be carried out in time for next year's Commonwealth Games.

City bosses say a radical redesign could be carried out after the Games, but only if there is public demand.

The council had launched an international design competition for the Square, attracting 35 submissions from around the world.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/city-sp...13386n.19984024

+Quote Post
CAT
post 23rd Jan 2013, 10:10am
Post #596

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
I think we do, though, need to keep a watch on what is happening in George Square. I also think we need to look out for the council trying to transfer control of the square to one of its arms-length companies which inherently lack the full transparency and accountability afforded council departments: Glasgow Life, especially!

GG.

I totally agree with you ! These arms length jobs for the boys LLPS appear to have no transparency whats so ever.

+Quote Post
jeani
post 23rd Jan 2013, 03:35pm
Post #597

Visitor
Member No.: 5,445
Agree with you Danny h , the council should be employing their own and local gardeners. to revamp the square , especially with the games coming up , they should be encouraging more local participation , it is our square !! , xx

+Quote Post
GG
post 23rd Jan 2013, 06:50pm
Post #598

Administrator
Group Icon
Comment from Alan Dunlop of Glasgow-based Alan Dunlop Architects:
"I’m truly disappointed for McAslan, he clearly understood the city and the history. In my view, his proposal was easily the best and would improve the quality of the square as a civic and public space considerably.

It’s clear that all the design teams involved had spent a considerable amount of time over Christmas and the New Year preparing the submissions. They took it seriously. The competition was dogged by ill fortune from the start: starting with the announcement on TV by the council leader that there would be the complete removal of the bronzes - which got everyone’s back up and consolidated the opposition; to the confusion over EU procurement causing a delay in the process which had already been announced; to the unprecedented failure to agree a unanimous winner among the judges; and then the ditching.

Now the project is finally scrapped, it is an embarrassment and a sad day for the city, I say that as a Glaswegian and architect."

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 23rd Jan 2013, 07:00pm
Post #599

Administrator
Group Icon
And another (this one is scathing) comment from Rory Olcayto, deputy editor of the Architects' Journal. Dinnae haud back big chap!

[...] No such luck. Once again, a mendacious explanation has been rolled out by the council leader, Gordon Matheson, who has used public outrage over concurrent council plans to remove the square’s statues to deflect inquiry into yet another embarrassing U-turn by Scotland’s biggest city. ‘The people of Glasgow have made it clear that they do not want a radical redesign of the square,’ he said, rounding on the shortlisted hard landscape designs most evident in John McAslan’s winning scheme.

No doubt about it, Glasgow has a leadership crisis. Matheson’s position has been seriously weakened by news – which emerged two days before the competition was scrapped – that he had been caught by police allegedly performing a sex act on another man, not his partner, in a car park. And let us not forget his predecessor Purcell resigned amid rumours of a cocaine-gangster-blackmail plot in 2010. No wonder Platt, in our lead story, is calling for a mayor.

Yet, as these hapless bids to enhance the public realm prove, Glasgow City Council has failed to develop a bold urban design culture to match those in London or Manchester. It is a problem rooted in the ‘Miles Better’ and ‘City of Culture’ revivals in the ’80s and ’90s which, although they were ostensibly cultural, were in fact retail-led, and which have had the unfortunate effect of conflating, in the minds of city leaders at least, shopping space with public realm.

It is why the truly awful Buchanan Galleries, at the junction of Glasgow’s two main boulevards, Buchanan Street and Sauchiehall Street, an important civicspace, is hailed a ‘world class’ shopping success, while the steps outside the Leslie Martin-designed Concert Hall, where city workers gather for lunch, are to be removed to make way for the mall’s extension.

The arrogance, the stupidity – it’s painful.

Full comment here:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j....41248874,d.ZG4

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 23rd Jan 2013, 07:01pm
Post #600

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
It’s clear that all the design teams involved had spent a considerable amount of time over Christmas and the New Year preparing the submissions
A Dunlop

Who ate all the mince pies, and scoffed the turkey then?

I'm no architect, but I would've thought something as important a project would take many MONTHS if not YEARS to come up with something of any acceptable standard.

Methinks this statement blows the gaff on the council BIG time.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post

41 Pages V  « < 38 39 40 41 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.