Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

35 Pages V  « < 33 34 35  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Home Made Tales, The journey
peter.howden
post 11th Apr 2018, 10:20am
Post #511

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,485
My Chronicles 11/04/2018

It is astonishing how little I know the older I progress in years, how noticeable the lack of knowledge is, especially apparent in the Radio Times programme magazine quizzes we hold around the family kitchen table during a Saturday afternoon. What I do know is my memory is not starting to fail me, it has been diminishing for some considerable time. It seems what I was taught is slipping rapidly away, and what I did not, or could not absorb, is immense.

My memory is now a mixed bag of losing keys, gloves, tickets, bank cards and the like…. putting things somewhere safe, being absentminded, having no clue where I have my cache. When I lived in digs, many moons ago, I kept a certain amount of loot in my shoes, which if I forgot this folded bundle, the discomfort reminded me, now I’m spoilt for choice for places to choose from.

I do update ‘She who must be obeyed’ at the time, unfortunately my beloved is now traveling down the same forgetful path, though slightly further back. It’s a lottery if I find what I am looking for, although new snags arose when Nikki, our daughter purchase a key finding gadget. When the wee batteries went dud…or I had not put the valuable finder back it its allotted place… I could not lay my hands on this valuable piece of equipment then… it was an uphill struggle …to locate the basic implement …plus where our keys were hiding. Did I mention on becoming a moaner?

Also, how little in nature I observe right under my nose, which is simple and astonishing. Having a peek out of the kitchen window we have a tree much taller than the house, and on top of the tree a nest which a pair magpie built several years ago.

Two crows decided to take possession, then for some hours there was constant squawking coming from both pair of birds… until, for one reason or another, the crows chose to evacuate the nest. Magpies seem to be quarrelsome birds, especially when repairing the damaged caused, chasing any bird who attempt to take fallen twigs and the like from the garden.

One day seven magpies for some secret reason started to hound the two residents for a couple of hours…. seemingly just for the heck of it, but I am sure Sir David Attenborough could enlighten me the real purpose for such behaviour

Per chance over the past few weeks I have lingered in my duties as bottle washer, just watching the comings and goings of all the bird life which dine on the couple of hanging bird feeding apparatus. Having a squint, or two out of the kitchen window, started a fascinating observational trait, trying to work out what the bird life behaviour is in various types of bushes surrounding our home. Smaller birds, at a glance… appear idyllically playful, but, are really fighting for survival, and the ordeal in copulation.

One thing is quite constant… watching a television programme or a film on various channels, when towards the end, noticing scenes which are vaguely familiar…then suddenly realize I have seen the flick before. As the song goes…” I’m aching where I used to play” ….
[size="4"][/size]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
peter.howden
post 12th Apr 2018, 11:28am
Post #512

City Key Holder
Silver special ‘Ladle’

Behind a wee docket, within a draw of a kitchen not far away, an old silver spoon, proud of its birth hallmark, but not haughty, as the question of being genuine antique silver never arises as is trademark, rather stonewashed with age, decipherable but not decisively of origin. It is hinted the spoon is an orphan, formerly from a set of cutleries bought by an army officer, from prize money awarded after the battle of Waterloo

Rarely brought along with other tableware, or when the the new instant electric lighting was on, the spoon’s constant concerns are left as a cast-off inside the drawer because of lack of use… or more important, used incorrectly stirring home-based curries and gooey stuff, the main dread is a scary utensil sat on the kitchenette floor… silently watching everything. When opened, it devours degraded food or anything, into an abyss of total blackness… where nothing ever returned from

This elderly silver utensil could just about recall past traditional formal silver service, regally laid when the entire setting of plates, cutlery and serving equipment were all silver. Tip-top on a regular majestic occasions and decorum was the order of the day. Once their duty was accomplished, all were returned to the kitchen area, a soft washing with warm water, adding baking soda with a sprinkle of salt. In exclusive occasions, such a wash was conducted before the event, with borax or vinegar added to the mixture, giving an extra glint when desired.

Throughout the years passing, was certainly not so gallant for the spoon, desperately separated from the set, during the war, pawned on several occasions. Those old dismal smelly foreboding loan establishments were just hostage takers with no regard in the items they imprisoned. Each time this type of incarceration occurred, lowered the expectations of the spoon ever returning to the original set. Different homes different cities until arriving in Glasgow’s 200-year-old celebrated ‘Paddy’s market’.

Run by street-traders but mainly hawkers associating with tickers and cadgers, peddling all sorts of goods. At least there was fresh air during most days, however the condition during the night were ghastly ghostly and inherited dampness smelling beyond the nose.

Now in this home residence for some 30 odd year, mainly neglected for its true purpose and potential, only to be used unprofessionally when small gatherings arrive…however… now and again luxury treatment comes unexpectedly…with warm water, baking soda and vinegar…as long as the feared swallowing gadget, in the middle of the kitchen floor, does not open….only for the silver spoon
[size="4"][/size]

+Quote Post
peter.howden
post 14th Apr 2018, 07:30am
Post #513

City Key Holder
Sorry for he silly spelling

+Quote Post
peter.howden
post 15th Apr 2018, 07:17pm
Post #514

City Key Holder
Unseen consequences

Jim stepped down from the train, tired and awkwardly annoyed, as it had made a mid-day unscheduled stop at a small homestead, seldom seen on any map and of no consequences for his journey. While tired eyes squinted around his new surroundings, he pulled shag tobacco from a crumpled packet, made, then lit a roll-up, with his first steps on solid ground in quite a time, he spotted a few shanty cabins around his side of the tracks of this god forsaken place. In either direction almost beyond the horizon there was nothing other than the rail track and dust.

Subbing out his cigarette as he ambled closer to the massive engine, the constant clatter of metal plates, plus the noise of the steam engine cooling down, was a mixture of weird and mysterious echoes. On his approach, it was only then Jim saw the two monstrous locomotives, coupled together hauling this long load of endless coaches.

One engineer came to meet him , shouting out how one of the spare tanks had been leaking since beginning this journey, but now desperately needed an emergency welding job The head engineer had phoned the controllers up the line, assuring this water stop, though far from anywhere really important, having loads of water to supply all the needs of the two trains, big as they were. They had no idea how long it would take to fix the leek temporary. Also, it would take two wheeltapper checking axleboxs aren’t overheating, as well as tapping along all the coaches the trains were hauling

Jim walked over the front, crossing over the tracks as the engineer shuttled backwards very slowly, for the tube from the water tank right next to the leading locomotive. It was obvious to Jim, that few trains passed, or stopped here, as grass was sprouting out of the nuts holding down the track, and rust took over most of the two steel tracks from way back. One thing for sure, it was really scorching day and the unwarranted clamour all around him, was not helping Jim’s mood.

On the other side of the tracks there were no houses, only rough and tumble shacks. No tiles on the roofs of these so-called dwellings, only lose fitting lengths of corrugated iron, plus plastic sheeting blowing in the wind. Some windows had glass in them, most only a rag. Right beside wealth and affluence on this train… was the ticket stub to poverty.

Unknown to anyone on the ground, two young boys from shanty town, had earlier gone swimming in the tank. Now hardly any train stopped at this location, and even when they did they were small shunters, or puffers. The boys were used to climbing the steel ladder, dropping into the cool water which was always almost over flowing. It was something for nothing and one over the railway company who still remained oblivious of this. When this unscheduled hullabaloo arrived, both youngsters kept a low profile as the clung on to the edge of the metal tank.

As the gigantic InterCitys took their fill, the level of the water tank fell dramatically, and the boys began to realize the predicament they were in. Simply for the lack of use, some sort of algae had formed and grown all the way down the sides of the tank. Their bodies were fully stretched as the water went down but they could not get a footing. Each time they attempted to pull themselves up to the ridge, they slid uncontrollably down. In a short time, they could not reach the top at all.

Panic set in as they shouted, screamed, and repeatedly try to kick the oily sides, but no one heard them above the hammer banging and welding engineering equipment below. They could not hold onto the sides as the creeping lichen had formed a slippery shied. Tiredness was now their biggest enemy. Frantically one boy tried repeatedly to dive under and assault the release valve at the core but each dive failed and each one became more difficult than the last...

The boys reasoned the train must be ready to leave soon the noise outside was bound to cease, allowing someone to hear their frantic calls of help. Keeping above the water was imperative for survival.

The train whistle blew all on board as the train’s engineers finally finished, allowing the train it to edge away from the old water trough. Jim, cosy in his Pullman apartment, looked at his watch, the hand showed 9 of an evening, chilly outside… but not a sound.
You could hear a pin drop…thought Jim
[size="4"][/size]

+Quote Post
peter.howden
post Y'day, 01:24pm
Post #515

City Key Holder
Anxious

Is it an subconscious allusion in disturbed sleep, is it a dream or awaken reality as she touched me, her essence really touched me, brushed against my eager cheek without realizing as she slowly faded away. This brief enchanted tad, charged every captured nerve in my body, compelling my very blood to boiling point, releasing every hidden desire to hold her so close, we inhale the same single breath. Each particle within my body, aches with captivated hunger, all cells rebellious ...yet…I cannot say a word, nor display a gesture of desire, hiding any spark of affection.

It is not just sex but such a feeling right from my core as I watch her moving those stimulating lips, which I wish to caringly caress, then let loose with such passion…. the world has yet to witness. Petite built with curves where curves should be on a true lady, so delightful deserving the silver screen, yet I would be embarrassed if in a moment of weakness, showed my true feelings. Her elegant elfin fingers stretch out, however not for my trembling hand. Each majestic movement is grace embodied, flowing as a free butterfly on the wind. Her alluring eyes gleam with timeless angel’s innocence, shy of my existence

Do I love my illusive apparitional goddess? I would say no…but worship every expression, each soft utterance leaving her mouth, reverberating golden sounds which echo through my mind for days on end, cherishing every word, syllable by syllable. Gazing upon the wonder of her presence, eager wishes, and cravings beyond imagination.

One single touch of her velvet skin would gratify me forever, but… until now, in my heart, I know this not to be true. For this would create a thrust beyond the emotions… never touch the grounds again. Am I lost at the gates of paradise with only a glimpse of the beauty which leads me there.

There are worse places than hell.
[size="4"][/size]

+Quote Post

35 Pages V  « < 33 34 35
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Apr 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.