Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Location, Help
RonD
post 7th Feb 2007, 10:29am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Somethin' fishy aboot this thread...

Huddgy: Thanks very much for finding Portugal Street, now I'm going to see if I can find it on an old map. Cheers, Ron

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 7th Feb 2007, 06:47pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
oh a loved that swing park it had a witches hat and a big see saw and the swinging bridge a used to call it it was next to the pub and the shop called ali's grocery store first time a ever heard a pakistani man with a scottish accent that was before the built ceader court my aunty moved in them flast as the corperation bought her hoose back in an cumpulsary order and promised her a flat
she now lives in the wee flats neare st columbas wub.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
scossie
post 8th Feb 2007, 09:14am
Post #18

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,223
Oh dear me!!..Maybe its me thats own the hook..Ha'Ha'

This post has been edited by jockstrap: 8th Feb 2007, 11:34am
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Jockstrap

+Quote Post
flam
post 9th Feb 2007, 01:41pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi All .Craighall Road 100 / 200 yards behind this demolished pub would have stood Wigton St and Rodney St..Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 9th Feb 2007, 04:07pm
Post #20

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
Hi Flam,

That is a photo of the Mosshoose Wigton St and Rodney St were down from there passed the canal bridge across from Bairds Brae. If you look at the google view I posted you can see that. In this one you can see where your photo is taken top right where Possil Rd meets Saracen St and Keppochill Rd and Craighall Rd. Rodney St is clearly shown at the bottom of this Google View the Street that where Bairds Brae meets Possil Rd. Just so as there is no mix up for Glenafton who was looking for the 2 Streets where his ancesters came from.

Hudggy

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
flam
post 11th Feb 2007, 01:57pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Hudgy and All..Here is a photo although not too good of Rodney St,and just as you say taken from Bairds Brae ,Old Astoria Cinema..There used to be a public toilet just yards fro Rodney St..Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
glenafton
post 13th Feb 2007, 10:42am
Post #22

Visitor
Member No.: 3,416
Everyone,
What can I say. I not only have found the location of where Wigton Street was I also have pictures and even a Google view to help me. If I could meet you all I would let you buy me a beer or six. A very grateful. Glenafton. wub.gif wub.gif

--------------------
One of lifes chosen. I am a Scot

+Quote Post
flam
post 13th Feb 2007, 11:35am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Glenafton..Here is the proof,although a little battle weary street sign of Rodney St, the camera i have at the moment is not too great..There used to be a pub called the Glenafton i believe it was at the top of Hope St..Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
glenafton
post 14th Feb 2007, 10:22am
Post #24

Visitor
Member No.: 3,416
Flam,
Cheers mate. Another piece of my families history safely locked away. The street sign is a bit battered and bent like me but a very worthwhile addition to my collection. wub.gif wub.gif

--------------------
One of lifes chosen. I am a Scot

+Quote Post
sumac
post 19th Feb 2007, 08:05pm
Post #25

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
Hey, guys, you are all mentioning photos you have posted - BUT I CAN'T SEE THEM!!!! Where is the link to let me see them? sad.gif

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
flam
post 21st Feb 2007, 01:16pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Sumac I'm afraid i have the same problem,I am not computer literate but I cant see the photos that i have posted, and i have tried to upload some. I know i Must be doing something wrong,or it could be the Computer which I use,it belongs to Glasgow City Council in their libraries.Hopefully I will manage to Post more photos..So if some one could advise me how to do it I would be over the moon Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
Java
post 21st Feb 2007, 01:54pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Hi peeps,

If you click on general chit chat so that you get a list of the topics on the forum, you will see that some topics have a wee paperclip before the heading...click on the paperclip and it will show you a list of the attachments...click the one you want to see... biggrin.gif

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
stratson
post 21st Feb 2007, 02:10pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
[quote name='Java' post='124299' date='21st Feb 2007, 02:11 PM']Hi peeps,

If you click on general chit chat so that you get a list of the topics on the forum, you will see that some topics have a wee paperclip before the heading...click on the paperclip and it will show you a list of the attachments...click the one you want to see... biggrin.gif[/size] tongue.gif java, thanx for info, yer a wee treasure so ye ur

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 8th May 2007, 10:29pm
Post #29

I have interesting information regarding family members from Wigton Street. I have record of a great uncle who was born at 55 Wigton Street in 1917 and also his grandparents who lived aat 59 Wigton Street in 1927 - any connection to glenafton or hudggy?

+Quote Post
micksharp
post 19th Aug 2008, 02:18pm
Post #30

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,961
These posting are great.

I discovered yesterday that my great great nana and granda (Ellen and David Miller) were living in 50 Wigton St when they were married in 1882. She had had my great grandad (Hugh) illegitimately in St Ninian's, Stirling, 1881, so I suppose David Miller is not my real great great granda. Must have ended up here for the work and maybe to escape.

Any more photos/info about the area much appreciated.

Thanks

Mick
(Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Jun 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.