Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Location, Help
glenafton
post 2nd Feb 2007, 09:48am
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 3,416
I have discovered that my great great grandparents lived at 55,Wigton Street in Glasgow. I have tried to find this place on the maps of Glasgow available to me but with no success. Can someone tell me the location of Wigton Street and whether it still exists? This is to help me build a family tree for my grandchildren so any pictures of the area would be an added bonus.

--------------------
One of lifes chosen. I am a Scot
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
scossie
post 2nd Feb 2007, 10:17am
Post #2

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,223
QUOTE (glenafton @ 2nd Feb 2007, 10:05 AM)
I have discovered that my great great grandparents lived at 55,Wigton Street in Glasgow. I have tried to find this place on the maps of Glasgow available to me but with no success. Can someone tell me the location of Wigton Street and whether it still exists? This is to help me build a family tree for my grandchildren so any pictures of the area would be an added bonus.

Try Virtual Mitchell Library... matey..I had a look but ..No Wigton street..Sorry awe gone by the look of it..awlavwa.. unsure.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Jockstrap

+Quote Post
glenafton
post 2nd Feb 2007, 10:26am
Post #3

Visitor
Thanks Jockstrap,
I've been right through the Mitch site but had no luck. Nice picture of the coathanger though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 2nd Feb 2007, 10:47am
Post #4

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
Hi glenafton,

Wigton Street was off Possil Road across from the old Oakbank Hospital and the Astoria Picture House I believe the other street next to it was Rodney Street. Infact my great granmother lived at 59 Wigton St when she was married in 1883 . I believe the street is still there but all the buildings were demolished in the late 1960s. It is just up from the Round Toll at Garscube Road on the right hand side as you walk up Possil Rd from the Toll. I have put a Google View of the area Wigton St was where the cars are parked in Rodney St name ends with canal runnig above.

Regards Huggy

This post has been edited by hudggy: 2nd Feb 2007, 11:18am

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 2nd Feb 2007, 11:26am
Post #5

Lord Provost
Hi Glaenafton ,

In this picture the nearest I can find to Wigton St I can find if you look past the policeman ( Big Charlie as I knew Him). On the right hand side you are looking at the Astoria Picture house directly across from there is Rodney St leading to Wigton St will see if I can find a better Pic.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
glenafton
post 2nd Feb 2007, 12:14pm
Post #6

Visitor
Hudggy,
You absolute gem. I now know where my ancestors lived. I knew that area quite well as I was born at 705,Maryhill Road,near Kelvinside Avenue. My auntie Bella had a fish shop opposite a swing park just down from the Astoria. The Astoria was where I first saw Nelson Eddie and Janette McDonald in Rose Marie. That statements dates me somewhat. I hope you don't mind but I took a copy of your picture for my records. If you ever make your way down under then I will let you buy me a few beers.
Glenafton.
Incidently. Buses made the best hudggies,unless the clippie caught you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 2nd Feb 2007, 02:35pm
Post #7

Lord Provost
Hi glenafton,

Glad to help I came from Raglan St at the Round Toll but I think that film is just a few years ahead of me. I don't see my self getting back down under been there twice to Hobart where my wee sister lives she, has been there since the late 60s. I am jealous of your way of life down there but too old now to make the move.

regards Hudggy

--------------------

+Quote Post
Riddrieperson
post 4th Feb 2007, 09:07pm
Post #8

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 799
QUOTE (hudggy @ 2nd Feb 2007, 12:04 PM)
Hi glenafton,

Wigton Street was off Possil Road across from the old Oakbank Hospital and the Astoria Picture House I believe the other street next to it was Rodney Street. Infact my great granmother lived at 59 Wigton St when she was married in 1883 . I believe the street is still there but all the buildings were demolished in the late 1960s. It is just up from the Round Toll at Garscube Road on the right hand side as you walk up Possil Rd from the Toll.  I have put a Google View of the area Wigton St was where the cars are parked in Rodney St name ends with canal runnig above.

Regards Huggy

I managed to find this mention of Rodney St/Wigton Street in copies of Hansard,the House of commons publication.It was in relation to various planning permissions.

"
— New class 4 office developments (Rodney Street/Wigton Street, and High Craighall Road). "

The office in Rodney street is the company where I work.As far as I know,Wigton Street ran on from Rodney Street but the buildings there were demolished and the council eventually built a permanent site for travelling people there.

--------------------
Kenny :)

+Quote Post
glenafton
post 5th Feb 2007, 10:33am
Post #9

Visitor
Riddrieperson,
I never expected the number of replies I received regarding my question on the Location of Wigton Street far less the trouble people have gone to to give me a detailed location on the street. So please accept my thanks and be assured that the information that I have received and any more that is to come is appreciated. It is now documented along with the pictures so that my descendants will know something of their family history.

--------------------

+Quote Post
scossie
post 5th Feb 2007, 11:29am
Post #10

Super Resident
QUOTE (glenafton @ 5th Feb 2007, 10:50 AM)
Riddrieperson,
I never expected the number of replies I received regarding my question on the Location of Wigton Street far less the trouble people have gone to to give me a detailed location on the street. So please accept my thanks and be assured that the information that I have received and any more that is to come is appreciated. It is now documented along with the pictures so that my descendants will know something of their family history.

Aye .....Ah'm greetin masel....Cos I used tae work in Brownlee's sawmill...High Craighall road..Nice fush and chups there......
..Glad ye liked the coathanger Photie..cheers mates.. cool.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Jockstrap

+Quote Post
RonD
post 5th Feb 2007, 01:53pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Since we are looking for places. I never found Portugal St. in the Gorbals. My Irish O'Donnells were married there in 1856.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 5th Feb 2007, 03:07pm
Post #12

Lord Provost
Hi rdem,

Dont know the Gorbals well but here a Google view showing Portugal St nera centre.

Regards Hudggy

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
glenafton
post 6th Feb 2007, 10:26am
Post #13

Visitor
Huddgy,
Nice fish that. Here in W.A. we use the for bait to catch real fish

--------------------

+Quote Post
scossie
post 7th Feb 2007, 06:15am
Post #14

Super Resident
Here's the wan you catch Glenafton He'he'....
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Jockstrap

+Quote Post
glenafton
post 7th Feb 2007, 09:02am
Post #15

Visitor
Jockstrap,
Another bloody tiddler. Is there no real fish over there?

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Sep 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.